Best Router for DD-WRT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
tubsmaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can somebody please add the ASUS WL500G-Premium to the list of supported hardware. I was not sure if this router is supported, but after searching this forum this is clear now.

ps: good work
Sponsor
HWS
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
hwsupport.txt txt 3.0 KB 02.08.06
It's allready done, long time ago Shocked

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
ah ok, there is the actual hardware support list.
I was looking in the Wiki DD-WRT Docu (EN) (as other users may do it) and there you dont find the actual list.
HWS
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really ? ;)

Supported Devices

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
consider our new special buffalo offer Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
The buffalo offer is nice. Just one question, can i install teh tinyproxy package? Is there enough space on the router and is the router fast enough for doing proxy stuff?
joeri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 21:01    Post subject: The best router in range?! Reply with quote
Hey there, I am a little confused Confused

The site says that the ASUS-WL500 is the best compatible hardware. Does this mean it does support the software in a better way, or does this router significally have a better range than for example the Linksys?! Is there any comparison chart available on the range of every router?

Secondly, if I would like to buy a linksys, is there any difference in range between routers with or without the speedbooster (e.g. Linksys WRT54GS+ SpeedBooster vs. Linksys WRT54G) after being flashed of course! :)

Thanks in advance!
CaScAdE
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:26    Post subject: Re: The best router in range?! Reply with quote
joeri wrote:
The site says that the ASUS-WL500 is the best compatible hardware. Does this mean it does support the software in a better way, or does this router significally have a better range than for example the Linksys?! Is there any comparison chart available on the range of every router?

WL-500g Premium (as seen here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware )
CPU: Broadcom 4704 @ 266MHz
FLASH: 8MB
RAM: 32MB
Wirless NIC: Broadcom (mini-PCI)
SWITCH: BCM5325
boot_wait: on
Serial: Yes
JTAG: No
USB: 2x v2.0
HDD: No

The device is fully supported and has the fastest CPU (AFAIK!!) available in compatible mass-products... And 8MB Flash is always good to have extra stuff installed...

Webcam Kiel
joeri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks!
gildenman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
xpz wrote:
Just a quick question; I need the fastest available DD-WRT compatible router. Which should I choose?

I'm using ASUS WL500G-Deluxe right now, and it can't handle my 100Mbit connection.

Hi,
How wasn't the Asus WL500g Delux keeping up with your 100Mbit link? Do you mean a 100Mbit net link or just the traffic on your local LAN?
Did you upgrade to a premium and did it improve things?
I'm just deciding whether to get a Premium or a Buffalo WHR-G54s. Don't want to save a few quid and then find out I'm not getting full thoughput, but also the Premium is almost twice the price of the Buffalo.
Many thanks.
do0d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any recommendations for an N router? If so, I'd love to see the first post updated. I send people to this thread and a few have been asking me about N routers...
malves
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
do0d wrote:
Any recommendations for an N router? If so, I'd love to see the first post updated. I send people to this thread and a few have been asking me about N routers...

I would recommend the Linksys WRT350N while it is still Version 1. It has a 300MHz Broadcom CPU and 8mb flash and 32mb ram builtin. When the Storage Link is working you wil be able to attach external USB drive storage or NAS.

molski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
So right now its better to choose the Linksys WRT350N if I want to buy a new router instead of the Asus WL-500g premium?

Or are there already some new routers that would be better?

The 4 things that are very very important for me:

- Fast CPU
- The more RAM the better
- Large Flash chip (for extra things)
- USB Support
FadeToBlack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, around here the cheapest router (between those two) is the ASUS.
However, consider this: ASUS WL-500G Premium @ XBit Labs. I am not sure that the Linksys will perform this well on wired connections. However, the situation must be different on wireless connections. There is no doubt that ASUS has a fast CPU. Just look at the review. It's almost 100Mbps available for wired. This is a thing that pisses me off sometimes. I always find reviews, but I almost never see one in which they mention the speeds and provide some graphs.
Well, if you want a really fast one why don't you buy a D-Link DIR-655? Gigabit connection. I think this chart here will give you an idea: SmallNetBuilder chart.
SimLim
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi which router gives u especially the best range and performance for a 54Mbit wireless connections? Cause ur discussion here was more about speed of the cpu and if dd-wrt does fully support the unit. I would even like a recommendation like use this router and add this antenna and u get the best range possible for a 802.11g network but it should not be a straightened long range link more like the regular antennas which emit there signal in every direction but with maximum range :D

Thx for ur advice

ps.: and it should be available in the German market Wink just cause i checked the WRTSL54GS and i think it nearly impossible to get it here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: