Best replacement for 54G's

bloodblight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:05    Post subject: Best replacement for 54G's Reply with quote
I have two 54G’s with two directional antennas forming a link between two homes. This is a non-line of sight link going about a city block though a half dozen walls or so.

I am running both at 175mw, and the link is around 30%. It works well enough, but I am hopping to do HD video steaming (a few clicks above NetFlix). Right now I get about 8mb at best on a clear day, but to do what I want would need at least 12mb on a bad day (so I am HOPING to hit 20mb).

What I am hoping to find is two new routers (well, at least one to start with) with modern and more sensitive chips. I have some Alfa equipment and was really happy with their USBs, but their router burnt out with normal usage in just a few weeks (and didn’t really perform).

What ever I go with it will need to have a replaceable antenna (I have a 15db yagi) that works well in a single antenna mode if it has multiple.

Recommendations?

Side questions:
How high have you run your 54Gs (and had them last)?
Do you think the performance I am getting now is above or below average?
Last note, I am even considering an x86 box with a USB Alfa AWUS036H. It uses the RTL8187L chipset. Anyone know if that is supported?
Sponsor
bloodblight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am continuing my search today and am looking over this page:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Looks ok and is cheap enough, but I’m not sure if it’s really any better (vs turning up the power on the 54Gs). Anyone with personal experience with it?

The Linksys WRT350N and WRT600N are rather expensive and I am having a hard time finding info if they perform well in a single antenna mode.

The Asus WL-500G (or other router with a NAS option) might be a good workaround. In a pinch I could deliver video there and then go from that device. Looking over:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB

Sorry if this seems like a commonly asked question, but I am trying to fill a very specific need.
conjur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
For outdoor durability; I'd go with the Sanao EOC-2611p. I've been using these with their base firmware for a 2km shot through the woods; and only have issues when it rains; and even then its just a high latency (10-15ms due to dropped packets). Other than that, they run at a pretty solid 54mb.. Using Yagis and DD-WRT, I'd expect them to hold a solid 108 thru a huricane (as long as the antennas stay in place)

V/r,
Conjur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: