Repeter function when password is required from source

jcagjcag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 22:50    Post subject: Repeter function when password is required from source Reply with quote
I know this must work but between my son and I we just can't figure it out.
We do a lot of RVing and we bought two of the Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT vr 24-sp2 installed in them.
The problem is that some of the camp grounds we stay at have wifi but sometimes we are two far away from the repeater antenna when inside our rigs so we thought this unit would be ideal for our needs.
They work except that when you log into the campground system they have a unique password that is good for about a week. They tie the MAC address of the computer connecting to this unique password together the first time you connect and it stay like that until 7 days have passed.
When using the DD-WRT as a repeater the problem is that we can connect to it from our computers but the DD-WRT won't connect to the source.
There needs to be some kind of web interface between the DD-WRT and the source before we connect our computer to the system.
Has anyone else run into this and what did you do to solve it. I know this has to work as I'm sure I am not configuring it correctly.
Thanks
Sponsor
cmaas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I may not have the perfect answer for you (still learning DD-WRT myself) But a few ideas.

The free wi-fi login page issue. Do your login with your laptop and then clone your laptop's MAC into your repeater router. Once your initial login is made from the web login, you should be able to then get your router to connect.

The other thing is that I was under the understanding that the security settings needed to be the same for each SSID when you run in repeater mode. You said you have 2 WRT54G's? Then you could hardwire the 2nd router that would have your wireless SSID and security.

I am curious now about those web logins.... I live in a small town but one of the hotels has such a network. I may drive over there and try it out sometime.
jcagjcag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
cmaas wrote:
I may not have the perfect answer for you (still learning DD-WRT myself) But a few ideas.

The free wi-fi login page issue. Do your login with your laptop and then clone your laptop's MAC into your repeater router. Once your initial login is made from the web login, you should be able to then get your router to connect.

The other thing is that I was under the understanding that the security settings needed to be the same for each SSID when you run in repeater mode. You said you have 2 WRT54G's? Then you could hardwire the 2nd router that would have your wireless SSID and security.

I am curious now about those web logins.... I live in a small town but one of the hotels has such a network. I may drive over there and try it out sometime.

Thank you for your reply and great ideas.

I just wanted to be clear about something I said that caused you to respond. What I meant about having 2 WRT54G's was that we both have one but they are never on at the same time. I was just trying to emphasize the fact that we both have one and both of us have been unsuccessful at connecting them under the conditions I discribed.

Could you give me some advice about how to clone the MAC address of my laptop into the WRT54G? I know how to find the MAC of my laptop but I don't know how to clone it into the WRT54G. I believe if I can do that successfully I will solve the problem.

Thanks again.
cmaas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the delay. If you want to clone your MAC address, go to the SETUP tab and then to the MAC ADDRESS CLONE tab. One your there, it's self explanatory on how to complete this. it actually will grab your MAC without you needing to copy/paste it.

The issue I still see is the repeating. I am still learning as I said and just going with what I have discovered and read here. So with that, you may have a issue when having different security settings for your virtual AP. I have read that both the actual and virtual AP's need to have the same security settings. But shoot.....give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: