Netgear WNDR3300 with ? router running dd-wrt and bridged

GeneralMayhem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:32    Post subject: Netgear WNDR3300 with ? router running dd-wrt and bridged Reply with quote
Hopefully this isn't too-specific a general question.

I'm trying to work out a solution where I can bridge two routers together and have wireless G on both floors of my home.

I asked in a Netgear forum if this was possible. It is, but only if I purchase a wireless adapter and then another router.

I'd rather just have one as a repeater to the other.

So my question is - can I keep the WNDR3300 (at OEM firmware) and add a second router running DD-WRT, AND maintain Wireless G with WPA/PSK?

I can set the WNDR3300 with another Netgear router and get them to work in bridged mode, but only at 5Ghz. Or, I can do it in the 2.4Ghz range but only with WEP.

If I have to have both running DD-WRT in order to get what I want/need, I'm down with that. I just don't want to brick the 3300.

Thanks.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes you can run one of the 3300's with stock and have it be the main router, then run another one with dd-wrt and make it a repeater, also i use WPA2 personal mixed / AES and have no probs here. and don't worry, the 3300 is easy to flash and run with dd-wrt, it and the wrt320n is what i most recommend to my friends now.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you can do it with just stock firmware by setting it to use 5GHz for N and 2.4GHz for G and then using the wireless repeating (WDS) on the 5GHz band. The stock firmware has a few nice things that are uncommon for stock firmwares to have, but overall it is still very limited. Some key things it's lacking are the ability to use the N radio on 2.4GHz while also using the G radio on 2.4GHz, and also to set different encryption for each radio (important for mixing specs to allow older devices on).

I suggest buying another wndr3300 and flashing it with DD-WRT, if everything goes well then flash the AP as well, and if anything goes wrong then either buy a cheap serial cable to fix it or send it back. Then you can use the N spec radio to be a client/repeater/WDS and run the G radio as an AP to maximize performance. If you get any N spec clients then they'll need WPA2 AES encryption on the N radio and you'll be able to have different encryption on the G radio still.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: