uTorrent Straight Kills My Internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
signature16
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 17:57    Post subject: uTorrent Straight Kills My Internet Reply with quote
My internet keeps dying when I turn on uTorrernt. I'm using WRT54G v5 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro.

I really just want my internet working normally again. How can I adjust the settings so the router acts as stable as it was with the Linksys firmware?

I've also adjusted my IP Filter Settings so they are 1000/600/120 as recommended by some wiki article on here.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Insufficient_ram
signature16
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
WRT54g v5 shouldn't even be included in the supported routers. Made those changes and internet is just a piece of shit in general.

How do I revert back to the Linksys original firmware? Uploading it through the DD-WRT control panel doesn't work and neither does pushing it using TFTP.
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
You killed the vxworks bootloader that linksys firmware needs to run. You have to revert back to vxworks or jtag the vxworks firmware back on. Not simple.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your best bet would be to follow the "P2P Solution" on the link phuzi0n gave. The multiple connections is what takes up a lot of the RAM on your router. Reducing the amount of connections is one of the *best* ways to reduce RAM usage on that router.

After that, just disabling the services you do not need would be next best. If you are looking at purchasing another router, make sure the router you choose has plenty of RAM.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
signature16 wrote:
WRT54g v5 shouldn't even be included in the supported routers. Made those changes and internet is just a piece of shit in general.

How do I revert back to the Linksys original firmware? Uploading it through the DD-WRT control panel doesn't work and neither does pushing it using TFTP.

1/2 way down the page.. the same link should be available in the dd-wrt wiki..

http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE#h18

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
signature16 wrote:

The router is the p.o.s. Stock firmware is even worse on 8MB RAM models because you can't do anything about its memory usage and last I checked stock sets TCP timeouts to a few DAYS so it's easy to fill up the connection count and have your net 'die'. Besides these changes, you also need to set utorrent to use a reasonable connection limit.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

The router is the p.o.s.

QFT

Also to solve the problem is very simple, just don't use utorrent until router upgrade.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: