Stupid question: what is DHCP-Authoritative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
ocuser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Frater says "It was answered 4 years ago already if you took the time to read it properly." He says the answer is "no". LOL The question was turn it "on or off"? LOL Apparently he didn't take the time to read it properly.

But the question is not answered and the answer is not at all clear because everybody is putting a truckload of assumptions in their answer.

Perhaps it would be more clear if someone would explain in the context of whether there was another DHCP server already on the network? And whether that DHCP server is authoritative?

What confuses me is, I turned off DHCP in the dd-wrt router and it still gives me this choice. I don't want this router to be a DHCP server and by turning it off I would expect this choice not to be available. So given that I already have a DHCP server that I wish to continue using, is there any reason to enable "dhcp-authoritative"?
Sponsor
GabrialDestruir
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe from reading this jumbled forum, that unless the device is the DHCP Server there is no reason for it to be on.
cah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
What if you have devices with static IPs (outside of DHCP range), do they become invalid?
Havoc104
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your static IPs will remain valid. All PC's in my network are connected with cables and have static IP adresses in the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.10.
I've set my DHCP server's starting address to 192.168.1.11. This works fine.
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 13:15    Post subject: revival Reply with quote
Concrete case:
My ISP dsl router dhcp server is weird as I want most of my network devices been DHCP client with static leases but can't store comments or names in front of each lease.
This dsl router can't act as DNS server: the dhcp server configures clients with the isp DNS servers ip. If the isp changes these ips, fine, my clients will be aware so that I don't have to worry about and I'm glad with that.
On the other hand, I have a ddwt router set up as a WAP, so with all interfaces in the same LAN (assign wan to switch) and is also a dhcp client, regard to a script found in the wiki, and I want this remains the same. The ddwrt dhcp server is disabled.
How do I figure transferring the bigger dhcp burden from the dsl router to ddwrt?

First: create the leases in ddwrt

Second: narrow the dsl router dynamic dhcp pool to a single unused IP, just to let the server run to allocate a single remaining lease to ddwrt.

Third: enable ddwrt dhcp server... but I must prevent ddwrt to acquire its own ip from ... himself (maybe iptables will help, but I'd need ebtables too, or drop some part of dhcp traffic when originated by ddwrt). So authoritative? non-authoritative? DNSmasq for DHCP? DNSmasq forDNS? I'm already aware I can't store my port[range]s forwards into ddwrt even if I set the dsl router dmz to ddwrt ip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
re: DHCP-Authoritative
Thank you learned something new today Smile
Doomsies
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greetings

I've been troubleshooting my mobile device's refusal to just pop into my 2014 router's DHCP any time I went anywhere for quite a while now. I found the answer in a near decade old thread that popped up on the top of my latest google search... this one.

I intended to not respond and necro this thing, or looking for a sage-y function, but I'm not going to.

I'm going to go bump this and go to sleep tonight dreaming about some absolute dickhead in 2089, whose bionic eyeball's IP keeps dropping turning him into an effectively blind knob coming onto dd-wrt.com and being told by the great men from 2006 how to fix his shit.

BELIEVE!
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doomsies wrote:
Greetings

I've been troubleshooting my mobile device's refusal to just pop into my 2014 router's DHCP any time I went anywhere for quite a while now. I found the answer in a near decade old thread that popped up on the top of my latest google search... this one.

I intended to not respond and necro this thing, or looking for a sage-y function, but I'm not going to.

I'm going to go bump this and go to sleep tonight dreaming about some absolute dickhead in 2089, whose bionic eyeball's IP keeps dropping turning him into an effectively blind knob coming onto dd-wrt.com and being told by the great men from 2006 how to fix his shit.

BELIEVE!

OFFTOPIC.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: