DD-WRT, Comcast, and no WAN IP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
desabrir
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 15:43    Post subject: DD-WRT, Comcast, and no WAN IP Reply with quote
I have a curious problem. I've been using DD-WRT for the past 5-6 years with no problems on a Netgear WNR3500 v2 via Comcast Xfinity. I've been using the same Cisco DPC3008 cable modem for the past 4 years without any problems.

A couple of days ago I started getting intermittent internet outtages. My girlfriend noticed the AT&T guy coming by selling their slow "fiber". A day later we no longer have internet. Very likely the AT&T guy is unrelated to the problem, but I just wanted to add it in for the whole picture.

For some reason the cable modem will not issue a WAN IP address to my router. I can plug my computer directly into the modem and it will give me an IP address.

I troubleshoot and troubleshoot for several hours and determine that the router must have failed after several years of dedicated service.

EDIT: I had already tried to clone the MAC address several times after several rest cycles on both the modem and the router.

This is the part where it gets all wonky.

I go to the store and buy an ASUS RT-N66U. I take it all home and set it up. Out of the box it runs perfectly and I am able to reach the far corners of the net. The modem issues an IP address and everything appears kosher. I navigate the DD-WRT and download the 3.x for the RT-N66U. After the hard reset steps and whatnot I now have a freshly flashed DD-WRT that will get me back into the game.

NOTHING.

WAN IP: [BLANK]

I release and renew the WAN IP and I only get 0.0.0.0

If I plug my computer directly into the modem again, magically, I have internet.

I called Comcast and they say there is something wrong with the line. I even have a spare cable modem and it exhibits the same problem after having them add it to my account. Everything points to DD-WRT because as soon as it comes into the picture I can no longer get a WAN IP address.

Am I being a conspiracy theorist by saying that someone is disabling my internet when I use DD-WRT? Also during the call it became very imperative for a technician to come out and troubleshoot the lines. I felt like there was a distinct change after talking to her and she made it seem like that was the only way. OK. Unfortunately the only appointment is not until Saturday and my girlfriend has to do work online as well as school work. The agent also tried to sell me a service contract.

Right now I'm posting this with my computer plugged directly into the cable modem. Ugh, I feel like I'm having sex with a very dirty hooker without a condom. Help pls.

EDIT: I have reverted to the stock ASUS firmware and it works fine. I would rather use dd-wrt so I hope there is some fix for this soon.
Sponsor
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 22:08    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT, Comcast, and no WAN IP Reply with quote
desabrir wrote:
Ugh, I feel like I'm having sex with a very dirty hooker without a condom. Help pls.

Well, that's "exciting" Laughing

Did you try unplugging and replugging the WAN cable once the router booted up with DD-WRT? On my RT-AC68U that's what it takes with some builds to get a WAN address.

If that doesn't work. Try a couple different builds. (link to all of BrainSlayer ones in my signature. RT-N66U can be found under broadcom k2.6 or k3.x. Recommend using a k3.x build).

Navigation

Jump to: