Linksys E2000 / E3000 test builds here

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
mickyq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 19:41    Post subject: E2000 help? Reply with quote
I have a new Linksys E2000 and am getting ready to flash with DD-WRT inital firmware 14929 E2000 Trailed Initial Flash Build Per the wiki. I only need to use this router to connect a wireless VPN network and normal internet ie streaming movies and such. I dont need all the crazy options. I was told by my VPN provider to use the dd-wrt.v24-15943_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin. This seems like overkill for what i need. What do you guys recommend for my application?
I just need a solid version that works good for VPN.

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
knightrider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kalonji25 wrote:
How do I enable wl1 on my e2000 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/17/11) mega, because I don't see the option.

e2000 has only one radio - it is dual band but not simultaneous dual band - there is no wl1
Kalonji25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
knightrider wrote:
Kalonji25 wrote:
How do I enable wl1 on my e2000 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/17/11) mega, because I don't see the option.

e2000 has only one radio - it is dual band but not simultaneous dual band - there is no wl1

Thanks for clearing that up. I just ordered a E3000, I will be returning the e2000 back to the store.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey everyone just wanted to help out with directories since they apparently changed.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/02-17-11-r16214/broadcom_K26/

That is the latest folder as of Feb 23rd 2011.
jaggedaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an E2000 running dd-wrt and had a couple questions about configuration.

1. I have the router configured for mixed g/n since I have several wireless-g devices. The devices I have that are wireless-n are not connecting at wireless-n speeds. They generally report back a connection speed of 54Mbps (wireless-g). I also see on my router status page that the connection speed is 54Mbps. Since this is a single antennae router I'm guessing that I'm not going to get wireless-n since the router is using the antennae for wireless-g connections, right?

2. I have a second E2000 router that I plan to bridge with the first. If I can't get wireless-n out of the first one, is it possible to bridge the second router and configure it for wireless-n only? I'm guessing not because the first routers antennae is still locked to g and will communicate with the second router over g...damn should have bought the E3000.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
jaggedaz wrote:
I have an E2000 running dd-wrt and had a couple questions about configuration.

1. I have the router configured for mixed g/n since I have several wireless-g devices. The devices I have that are wireless-n are not connecting at wireless-n speeds. They generally report back a connection speed of 54Mbps (wireless-g). I also see on my router status page that the connection speed is 54Mbps. Since this is a single antennae router I'm guessing that I'm not going to get wireless-n since the router is using the antennae for wireless-g connections, right?

2. I have a second E2000 router that I plan to bridge with the first. If I can't get wireless-n out of the first one, is it possible to bridge the second router and configure it for wireless-n only? I'm guessing not because the first routers antennae is still locked to g and will communicate with the second router over g...damn should have bought the E3000.

1. You need to make sure and use WPA2 with AES.

2. Get the first one set up properly, then worry about the second one.

Check out the "wireless n conf" link in my signature for info on setup.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
gps4cam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I successfully flashed my e3000 using the hardware-specific page and this thread. It went great, so thanks to everyone.

I'm now trying to configure it to act as a WiFi repeater, or repeater bridge (preferably just repeater, but I'm not too picky). However, I can't get it to work, and for the life of me can't figure out why. I initially followed the instructions for a repeater, then (when it didn't work) a repeater bridge at (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater and http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge) respectively. To try to simplify things, I'm now just trying to get the router to work as a simple client (and I'll put in the virtual interface after that works). I've followed the instructions at: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode to a tee and it still doesn't work. So I'm wondering if anyone can either point out what I'm doing wrong, let me know what they had to do in addition to the instructions, or point out whatever else the problem is.

Thanks again to everyone who works on DD-WRT, flashing my first router went great.

Here's the important info if anyone can help me with my problem. Let me know if I should provide anything else:

I've updated to build dd-wrt.v24-15943_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-e2k-e3k

The access point I'm trying to connect to is provided by my landlord. I got the connection info for it (SSID, password, etc) based on what my Windows 7 computer uses to successfully connect. It's all highlighted in the picture below.

My computer connects to the router fine over Ethernet and is given an IP address in the subnet 192.168.2.*. But I can't ping the AP router at 192.168.1.1 or connect to the internet. It looks to me like the router is connecting to something due to all of the packets sent as shown in the other picture, but it doesn't show a WAN IP (in the top right corner of the picture) as I believe I read somewhere that it should.

One other thing I should mention:
I tried "joining" the network after doing a site survey and it said something like "connected successfully", but that didn't help.

If anyone is able to help, that would be great. Thanks.

Wireless Status.png
 Description:
Here is the Wireless Status Page after completing all steps and power-cycling a few times.
 Filesize:  48.86 KB
 Viewed:  20049 Time(s)

Wireless Status.png

Router Info.png
 Description:
This is where I got the info about the AP.
 Filesize:  70.33 KB
 Viewed:  20049 Time(s)

Router Info.png

dimension2035
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all. I have a question that confuses me. Just to be safe, can I flash the "dd-wrt.v24-16214_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-e2k-e3k.bin" file to my Linksys E2000?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
dimension2035 wrote:
Hi all. I have a question that confuses me. Just to be safe, can I flash the "dd-wrt.v24-16214_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-e2k-e3k.bin" file to my Linksys E2000?

This depends, do you already have dd-wrt installed to the unit? If so, then yes you can use that file to upgrade to a newer dd-wrt build. If this is the initial dd-wrt flash from the stock linksys firmware, then you need to refer to the wiki for installation instructions.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
dimension2035
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the respond. I currently have build 14853 on it and it's not running smooth. Internet locks ups and the wifi light is dim. I've also tried build 15962 which was horrible. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Advanced User
dimension2035
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like I may have to revert back to the Stock linksys FW because no matter what build I try and what I do, my internet lags after a few hrs. Webpages take 20+ secs to load or 80% of the time it just wont load and bad connections when gaming.

I am using the latest build 16214. I have tried build 14853, 15962 and currently on 16214. I really like DD-WRT and hate the stock FW but it looks like I may have no choice.

Edit:
So it turns out that my cable modem was a fault. I never would have guessed it. I figured this issue started happening since I flashed DD-WRT that it was the problem.

Last edited by dimension2035 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:06; edited 1 time in total
xashleyx3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 23:47    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote
Hi I am really new to this, today i just bought the Linksys E3000 because the I asked an employee at the PX which router has VPN capability because my husband and I want our XBOX and PS3 to connect to a VPN since we are station in Germany for 2 years. So I am having I talked to, well I actually chat with the StrongVPN people at they said this
Quote:
hello you need router for this
You can install it on unlimited computers/devices, but only one can connect at one time with one account.
If you want to connect multiple devices with one account (e.g. Xbox, PS3, Apple TV or other devices and computers) usually the easiest way is to get a router that is VPN capable.
DD-WRT is a popular firmware upgrade on many models of routers. It's a free firmware update that works on many routers.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-databasewill tell you if a router you have supports it.
http://strongvpn.com/dd-wrt.shtml explains how dd-wrt works.
Then we have these pages on how to load your VPN account on the router:
PPTP How To http://strongvpn.com/dd-wrt2.shtml
How to load OpenVPN on your DD-WRT router using SCP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQNYIaj4ins
We also have resellers that can sell you a preconfigured router, check it on this page here:
http://strongvpn.com/routers.shtml

I tried to download some link for the E3000 but it wont work. I just want to have everything done right and i don't want to break anything. But honestly i have know clue what i am doing, so can someone be nice enough to help me maybe its because i am 20 and dont have experience with this. but i would really love to have the vpn on my xbox.
mickyq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:02    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote
first READ THE PEACOCK THREAD!!!
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

2nd read the WIKI for your e3000
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E3000

then use the strong open vpn video instructions to set up your router use there open vpn service its a lot easier to set up!!
gps4cam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:50    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote
xashleyx3 wrote:
I tried to download some link for the E3000 but it wont work. I just want to have everything done right and i don't want to break anything. But honestly i have know clue what i am doing, so can someone be nice enough to help me maybe its because i am 20 and dont have experience with this. but i would really love to have the vpn on my xbox.

I would read the E3000 specific page first, to get an idea of what you'll have to do, then the Peacock thread, since it's really long. Make sure you read both and understand things before you try flashing because you can break (brick) your router. If you are able to buy a router with dd-wrt already installed, that would simplify things. Although flashing doesn't take long, there is a learning curve and doing it wrong can be bad.

Also, I'm 20 too and successfully flashed my E3000 this weekend. But I now need help configuring it to repeater mode.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:59    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote
gps4cam wrote:
xashleyx3 wrote:

I would read the E3000 specific page first, to get an idea of what you'll have to do, then the Peacock thread, since it's really long. Make sure you read both and understand things before you try flashing because you can break (brick) your router. If you are able to buy a router with dd-wrt already installed, that would simplify things. Although flashing doesn't take long, there is a learning curve and doing it wrong can be bad.

Also, I'm 20 too and successfully flashed my E3000 this weekend. But I now need help configuring it to repeater mode.

The Site Survey join does nothing as you already have seen, just follow the guide in the wiki on linking routers. If you follow exactly what it says for whatever linking you are trying to do, step by step, it works fine. Link in my sig.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 72 of 76
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: