Intel 4965AGN, WNR834Bv1 (No Internet/Netork Access)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 0:04    Post subject: Intel 4965AGN, WNR834Bv1 (No Internet/Netork Access) Reply with quote
I have been plagued with this issue on DD WRT firmware for over 3 years now and although I've been hunting down a solution i haven't found one that knocks the problem on the head.

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) mini - build 12548M NEWD Eko
Hardware: Netgear WNR834Bv1
Wifi Card: Intel 4965AGN (Latest Intel Driver)

After being connected to the router for a prolonged period of time, sometimes a couple minutes, sometimes hours, I will lose connectivity to both the internet and the router even though Windows still reports that i am connected to the router.

I get the yellow triangle over the wireless strength icon in the taskbar and hovering over it states "No internet access" or "No network access". Checking the connection details in windows shows i still have an IP address assigned and that i am still connected to router.

I have tried various techniques including adjusting power saving settings for the wireless card and disabling wireless N on both the router and the wireless card. Only a disconnect/connect cycle resolves the issue until it happens again.

My other two laptops connect with Broadcom and Atheros Wireless cards and have no problems. They can be left connected for days at a time without losing connection.

When i use these other laptops to login to the router to see whats happening when the 4965 disconnects, the 4965AGN is not on my list of connected devices even though windows still thinks it is connected. It seems that the router is disassociating with the wireless card (Why, i have no idea). Assigning a static IP address or raising the client lease time to 99999 minutes does not make any difference.

This does not happen with the original Netgear firmware or with any other router.

I have been hoping that it was a bug with DD WRT that would be ironed out but 3 years down the line it's still an issue. I would like to think that its a way DD WRT handles this chipset or that its a way the Intel chipset interacts with DD WRT and that DD WRT could be issued with a fix as it is the only common factor in every set up i have tried and I'm convinced its DD WRT.

But i am no software engineer and that's why I'm here.

I've read the Peacock thread and i do the 30/30/30 hard reset when required. I've tried the firmwares recommended for my router chipset and I've regularly searched for solutions to no avail.

Anyone with some ideas?
Sponsor
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI I have 4965AGN with drivers 13.0.0.1 on Vista x64 and it works fine with WRT54G-TM running build 12874 BS.
Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
FYI I have 4965AGN with drivers 13.0.0.1 on Vista x64 and it works fine with WRT54G-TM running build 12874 BS.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen this card work well with other routers running DD WRT and other firmwares.

My problem relates to the WNR834Bv1 i am using with the DD WRT firmware and the 4965AGN.

It's only the combination of these 3 things that i'm having the issue with.

I was hoping that someone had maybe come across the issue with a similar set up.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
are you close to the router when you are connecting?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
are you close to the router when you are connecting?

Yes, funnily enough the disconnects happen more frequently < 3 feet away from router.

How come?
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are too close and high xmit power, could cause noise and disconnects.
Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
If you are too close and high xmit power, could cause noise and disconnects.

I do generate hundreds/nearly a thousand TX errors a day with absolutely no RX errors.

TX power is a 71 mW by default, what do you recommend i crank it down to?

And pardon my assumption but you do mean the TX power of the router not the Wireless card?

If so why would this only happen to the 4965AGN and not the other cards? Are Broadcom and Atheros more stable with regards to noise?
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try to set between 25 to a maximum of 50mW, I would recommend to start with 35.

I mean TX power of the router.

Some cards might have more sensitivity than others, don't know if it's 4965AGN's case, just guessing.
Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your help.

If I'm not having any success after a good stress test I'll bump the thread and similarly if I'm successful I'll do the same so the answer can be Googled by anyone who needs it.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
also alot of rx/tx errors are due to noise around you, did you do a site survey and using a good channel with no neighbor noise interference? is there alot of cell phone, microwave, Radio interferences from neighboring Wi-Fi etc.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did take external noise into consideration.

Out in the country I'm the only AP for a couple miles and I've taken care to keep the unit away from other appliances.

Turning down the power to 35mW has already increased the signal quality from both my phone and my laptop over 10%. I'm getting signal quality of about 60-70% at a 6 foot range with the noise varying between -81 and -90.

Had over 28 TX errors in the last 45 mins though. They happen about 9/10 at a time when a device connects but once connected it seems to stop.

Good news is haven't had a disconnect yet.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes i use a setting of 40mW on my wrt54g v5 and on my wndr3300's, they have been running for some weeks with only 3 tx packet errors.

I set my friends Netgear WNR834Bv1 at same Tx as mine and his works fine with no disconnects.

Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:51    Post subject: No luck Reply with quote
Still having continued problems with random disconnections on the WNR834Bv1.

I've decided to replace the router with one that has a solid and well supported performance with DD WRT.

I've been looking at the WRT54GL v1.1. Would this be a good purchase or is there another model that is just as good but more RAM or cheaper?

Is 16megs RAM ample or is 32megs a better option?
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
More is always better.

My suggestions:

- WRT610Nv2/E3000 (they are the same)
- ASUS RT-N16
- WRT320N
- WNRD3300
- WNRD3700
Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
WRT320N is a good price and looks not too bad, however the process to put DD WRT on for the first time looks a little risky and seems plagued with issues.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT320N_v1.0

What is your experience with the device? Has the support and First install process matured with time?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: