Revert Trendnet TEW-652BRP to factory firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
linkfix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:06    Post subject: Revert Trendnet TEW-652BRP to factory firmware Reply with quote
I would like to revert to Trendnet's original factory firmware. From the dd-wrt web based firmware upgradge page, I am not able to revert back to the original firmware, as I seem to get a "update failed message". I tried Windows XP TFTP method to flash the trendnet firmware -- then I get a "timeout occured" message.

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put "TEW652BRPA1-FW110B13.bin

How do I get into recovery mode on this router, and be able to reinstate the factory firmware?

Answer: This problem has been solved after two days. The solution is shown in the thread below.

Last edited by linkfix on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:36; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
linkfix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:27    Post subject: Method to revert DD-WRT firmware to Factory Firmware Reply with quote
Ten detailed steps to revert DD-WRT firmware to the Trendnet's factory firmware
Router : Trendnet TEW-652BRP

1) Download the latest firmware for this router model number from Trendnet's web site. http://trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=1361&SUBMIT=Go> If you already have any Trendnet factory firmware previously downloaded to your PC, go to step 2.
2) Connect a PC to the LAN port (1-4) of the trendnet router (Do not connect to the WAN port)
3) Set the PC's IP address to static IP = 192.168.0.2, Net Mask = 255.255.255.0, Gateway = 192.168.0.1. All other settings do not matter for this effort.
4) Plug the supplied DC power plug into the router while the reset button (next to the power jack) is pushed in with a pin for 30 seconds. Release the reset button. This will initiate the firmware recovery mode.
5) Change the last line of the Trendnet factory firmware binary file you downloaded from Trendnet's site in step 1(Example: TEW652BRPA1_FW110B14.bin) with a binary/hex file editor such as XVI32. The line you are searching for is : AP81-AR9130-RT-086095-05. Replace it with AP81-AR9130-RT-070614-02. Notice the boldface characters are different. Mouse into the decimal entry side (right side window, if you are using XVI32 free editor) of the editor so that the characters you type in decimal as shown in the bold face (070614-02) will be automatically converted into hex by the editor. Save this file to your PC, under any name you like. You can download a free binary/hex editor from
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm
6)Launch Internet Explorer and type in http://192.168.0.1 to get into the recovery mode web interface.
7)You can click on the browse button to select the firmware file you modified in step 5. Click the upgrad button. Caution! Do not remove the power although you will see "Local area connection: Network cable is unplugged message". Essentially the router just reset itself after the upgrade.
8)Set the TCP/IP network on the PC to Automatically receive DHCP address. This is a quick way to be sure that the router is rebooted and ready, as it issues DHCP IP to the PC, and also ensure you are on the same subnet as the router to be able to talk to it.
9) Soon as you receive the IP from the router, in an Internet Explorer browser window (same window or a new one) type the address Http://192.168.10.1. You should see the Trendnet's original firmware. Type in "admin" in the user and password field to set up the new firmware setting such as SSID and password, New router IP address, etc.
10) Enjoy the firmware and may I suggest: "resist the temptation of upgrading the firmware unnecessarily". I know, I know, one thinks there is always room for improvement with a new firmware, but sometimes we have to be content!. The grass only seems greener on the otherside occassionally.
desigabri
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 0:29    Post subject: May be they changed u-boot... Reply with quote
Sorry but to be able to restore the original firmware I didn't need to do all that you wrote.

At this time I needed an original firmware only without modifications (I used the one only found onto the trendet site : the B14).

I had to set my pc 192.168.10.2/255.255.255.0
(no need gateway)

1) reset the router the same way as you described
2) open the webrowser and point to http://192.168.10.1
3) select the firmware and press "start"
4) when you see the net card loosing connection and after a while reconecting then you are right.
5) to start you don't need to change the net card settings because it has the same ip address. Now the dhcp works so you could set the ip into dhcp mode but to test it works anyway without this change.

Just to say, I was able to flash directly openwrt firmware and at this poin (but not tried) I think that it could be possible to flash others firmware too
Cao
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just reverted back to the original firmware with the help of this thread, felt the need to add couple of details for future readers:

1. I've tried mr. desigabri method first, since it was the easiest, and it didn't work, maybe it does on v2.0 or v3. or whatnot, but on my v1.0 it didn't, so I've followed mr. linkfix details which were spot on.

2. Spent about 30 minutes trying to enter firmware recovery mode, until I finally found that you have to keep the reset button pressed even after you plug in the power, until the status led blinks, otherwise nothing happens. (I was releasing the reset button right after I plugged in the power cable).

3. While editing the .bin file I've found that the firmware version currently provided by the trendnet support website does not work with my v1.0 router (presumably its for v2+ versions). It has a whole different hex string at the end, so I googled after "TEW652BRPA1_FW110B14.bin" and found that specific version of the firmware on a .ru domain, which worked after editing "AP81-AR9130-RT-086095-05" as explained in the second post.

4. After upgrade don't go to 192.168.0.1 anymore, the page loads but you can't get past the login screen, load 192.168.10.1 instead.

That's it, good luck :)
Fritzzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
My friend was using a tew-828dru from trendnet running with latest dd-wrt version (27490). He asked my help to rollback to factory firmware and user interface.

I tried a lot of stuff...and then I just did what @Rodent suggested.

I connected via telnet and did a mtd erase linux

now the fu@#@#%@$%@$% router doesnt respond. If my laptop is using dhcp the ipconfig shows me 169.254.29.10 as ipaddress.

If I set an IP address manually like 192.168.10.5 and do a 30-30-30 reset...I can see the cfe miniweb server interface. I am able to choose a bin file to upload the firmware but when I hit upload the bronwser (IE or firefox) gets disconected.

What I can do to deploy the firmware again?
bar1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone....first message here and maybe even last one.
I was super exited to try dd-wrt on my TEW-828DRU but unfortunately i dont really have have the energy to deal with the complex settings, open VPN refuse to work and my guest wifi works until i have visitors....

i tried some of the methods to revert back to stock firmware...but resting the router just seems to reset dd-wrt and i am back to 192.168.1.1 with an empty config....can someone please assist me?

Edit: do i need to use the 30-30-30 method?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: