TP-Link WR741ND Firmware.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Frenolog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Burned wrote:
If you use firmware directly download from TP-Link your router will be bricked. So LOM provided webrevert firmware. All you need to do is to use Firmware upgrade.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=15923

Hi.
A question 2 LOM.
After I applay a http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=15923 firmware to revert DD-WTR,
can i to use native TP-Link firmare newest version also? Isn't 2 brick my router ?

PS. I am Sorry for my English, please.
Sponsor
gmalakov
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40    Post subject: WR740N Reply with quote
cbaldan wrote:
I have a cheap WR740N, by my extensive online research should have the same exact hardware as WR741N, with the only difference being the deatachable antenna on the 741 model.

I will open my WR740N to make sure it has the same chipset and flash it. Does any Guru can tell me if I´m about to do something stupid or if I may indeed succeed?

Please write if you have any success with that router
I have the same too. Revision 1. Thanks in advance.
cbaldan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will only flash if I get information that there is chance it will succed, I don't want to brick it.

What I still want to do is crack it open and check radio/ram it has inside and compare with the 741 model.

My router is WR740N revision 1 as well.
gmalakov
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
cbaldan wrote:
I will only flash if I get information that there is chance it will succed, I don't want to brick it.

What I still want to do is crack it open and check radio/ram it has inside and compare with the 741 model.

My router is WR740N revision 1 as well.

There is a bit of problem with that because theare is a heatsink that is glued to the processor and a metal cover for the high frequency chip so you need to uncover them to see what's below. So if you do that you certainly will destroy warranty of your router because there isn't any chance to remove those things without this being seen afterwards!
dondos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
TP-Link WA701ND v1

CPU: Atheros AR7240
Wireless: Atheros AR9285
RAM: Hynix HY5DU561622FTP-5 (32MB)
Flash: SPANSION S25FL03PFI(4MB)

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=109853
funditus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) I successfully flashed with factory-to-ddwrt.bin via Web UI.
2) I didn't find Openvpn I need.
3) I flashed with WEB UI dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn15280/dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin) and bricked my router. It doesn't reply to pings and doesn't send any information (I Wiresharked).

Which build should I use to have Openvpn?
Information on a site is in a mess. Installation instructions unclear but according to information for BROADCOM devices at peacock thread NEWD flash can be used on a wide range of devices.
What I did wrong?

TL-WR741ND ver 1.9. Bought today. Bricked today:)
gmalakov
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
funditus wrote:
3) I flashed with WEB UI dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn15280/dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin) and bricked my router. It doesn't reply to pings and doesn't send any information (I Wiresharked).

Information on a site is in a mess. Installation instructions unclear but according to information for BROADCOM devices at peacock thread NEWD flash can be used on a wide range of devices.
What I did wrong?

Try turning up power with reset button pressed
wait 30sec. and then release the reset button. Then try to access 192.168.1.1 with web browser or via tftp. I don't know if it will work on that router but it works on d-link.
Thre was another method 30/30/30 or 30/60/30 sec
you should investigate forum. There is a chance for your router to work without flashing with jtag.
funditus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
gmalakov wrote:
funditus wrote:

What I did wrong?

wait 30sec. and then release the reset button. Then try to access 192.168.1.1 with web browser or via tftp. I don't know if it will work on that router but it works on d-link.
you should investigate forum. There is a chance for your router to work without flashing with jtag.

Nothing worked. It doesn't come up ethernet interfaces for about 5 minutes. After that interfaces physically can come up, but doesn't respond to anything as well.

Which image should I use to have openvpn as well?
gmalakov
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
funditus wrote:
gmalakov wrote:
funditus wrote:

What I did wrong?

Nothing worked. It doesn't come up ethernet interfaces for about 5 minutes. After that interfaces physically can come up, but doesn't respond to anything as well.

forget openvpn if this router hasn't enough flash memory space it's the reason you've bricked it. dd-wrt image with openvpn is bigger than standard one!
now most important is to unbrick it. after that you can think of openvpn. you just need to see openvpn image size and to compare it with your flash memory size before flashing !!!!
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
funditus wrote:

Wrong question!
The right question is:
Which router should I have bought if I want to run OpenVPN?
Answer: A router with 8MB or more of flash memory, not a 4MB based.

You are where you are now because you didn't read before flashing. You have an Atheros based router and I can not understand how you came to the idea of flashing a Broadcom build onto it or why you are following router install instructions from the Broadcom section of the forum.

Your only way out now is to connect a serial interface to the router in order to stop it booting and starting the tftp transfer.
See the dd-wrt wiki Hardware DYI section.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
forget openvpn if this router hasn't enough flash memory space it's the reason you've bricked it. dd-wrt image with openvpn is bigger than standard one!

Quote:

he right question is:

Hmm... It's 3.18 Mb in size. Less than 4 Mb of flash size. I mentioned dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin image Rolling Eyes

Quote:
You have an Atheros based router and I can not understand how you came to the idea of flashing a Broadcom build onto it or why you are following router install instructions from the Broadcom section of the forum.

I understood my mistake. It's not mentioned that it is for Broadcom only. Mess in installation instructions and my fault not checked everything four times...
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
funditus wrote:
LOM wrote:

The right question is:

Hmm... It's 3.18 Mb in size. Less than 4 Mb of flash size. I mentioned dd-wrt.v24-15280_NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small.bin image Rolling Eyes

Apples and oranges, you can't compare them..
One is based on linux 2.4 which has a smaller kernel and the other is based on linux 2.6.
Size of radio drivers, switch drivers, and bootloaders does also differ between them.
Brainslayer is stuffing in all the essentials in 4MB flash based Atheros routers and the 741ND build is 3.7MB with bootloader and nvram taking the remaining space.

If you are buying a cheap entry level router like 741 then don't expect to run anything else than essentials on it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just bought a TL-WR741ND v1.9 and tried out DD-WRT build 14929 and 15506 but both were really unstable. If I choose client bridge the CPU of the router went 100%. I went back to original firmware (thanks LOM).
Labus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
ipv6 support is not expected for this router?
drloma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have tplink 741 router v1.6 which version of ddwrt firmware i can flash without problems?
as it gives me too long file.....thanx brothers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 14
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: