TP-LINK TL-WR841N

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set Regulatory Domain to US or Canada, set TX Power to more than 20 dBm if possible and manually set the Channel (e.g. 6).
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
lda wrote:
Indigaz wrote:
Move it higher in the house and that may help increase range.

As far as increasing the output, you can boost the signal slightly with software, to the maximum that your hardware can drive. Sometimes, it's not much higher then the default setting.

I tried put on top of my house, but not difference at all. With 1Db / 3DB there is not way to establish a connection, so my only solution is do a mod to add a stronger antenna and maybe use custom software such as dd-wrt to increase power.

BTW, do you know any good reference of custom mod for powerful antenna for TL-WR841N? I have no idea how much prower it's able to provide to antenna and neither have idea of by default how much power software restrict and how much dd-wrt could allows. Someone with any details or experience on it?

Thanks.

Lets be realistic, your uncle's home is three houses away which probably means 200+ feet away. It is not too far away if it is open air without any obstacles. However, with both routers inside the houses with other houses in between, all the obstacles in between the routers will block the wifi signals from reaching each other's router. You can try increasing the power on both routers (changing just one router won't help much) and see if it helps but I doubt it very much.

The only chance I believe is to achieve a line of sight without obstacles between the two routers such as placing them on the back yard and above the fences of each home, i.e. you can actually see from one router to the other router. However, if you can see from a window of your home to a window on your uncle's home, that is a line of sight too. The obstacles in between will be the two glasses of the windows. Please note however, tinted glass have higher attenuation (blocking) than non-tinted glass.

I hope you get the idea which is to reduce the amount of obstacles between the two routers and ideally without any obstacles. If you increase the power and/or change the antenna, you have to do that on both routers because wifi is a two way communication.
lda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi KrypteX and js1662,

I configured regulatory to USA to give a try and configured channel by my own, but no real difference.

We don't have view from a house to another, there is a building with two floors on the middle that make impossible to see it, so that's why I was expecting to modify the router to put a super powerful antenna to establish a good connection.

You told that there it no goal in put strong antenna just in one side, so how hackers often claim on newspapers that they created antennas to attack wireless networks KM away?

I was thinking that if I was able to integrate one of these antennas should be enough for my case since in my country I have the following options:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-655841036-antena-omnidirecional-25dbi-_JM

[url]produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-654901234-antena-omni-aquario-24ghz-12dbi-internet-wireless-mm-2412-_JM[/url]

[url]produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-653995827-antena-omni-12dbi-profissional-wireless-cabo-10-metros-_JM[/url]

I was not even thinking that I would require a signal amplifier... Crying or Very sad

Someone know what is the output power per wire on this TL-WR841N V9?

Thanks
jomer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:43    Post subject: Is my TP link WR841ND is Bricked? Reply with quote
I have flashed my router with r27745 successfully and used the router for 10hrs. When I tried to re-enabled the dhcp on the router since im transferring the unit to other network as it need stand as dhcp server and as a gateway, then there it was i cant even connect anymore to the router and even tried hard reset but to no avail.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:54    Post subject: Re: Is my TP link WR841ND is Bricked? Reply with quote
jomer wrote:
I have flashed my router with r27745 successfully and used the router for 10hrs. When I tried to re-enabled the dhcp on the router since im transferring the unit to other network as it need stand as dhcp server and as a gateway, then there it was i cant even connect anymore to the router and even tried hard reset but to no avail.

Reset button is broken since 27700, see http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4800
You can reset via Telnet.

Daletec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
TP-Link TL-WR841ND v9
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v3.0-r27745 std (08/25/15)
Kernel Version
Linux 3.18.20 #4483 Tue Aug 25 03:29:36 CEST 2015 mips

Time zone is off for Eastern Time US

Still have to run the start up script for vlan to get to local devices on my LAN:

Network

IP Address: 192.168.2.230
Host Name: HP1022N

Product Information

Product Name: HP LaserJet 1022n
Formatter Number: JN06TMV
Product Serial Number:
Service ID: 07087
Firmware Datecode: 20120928
Total Memory: 8 MBytes
Max Monochrome Print Quality: ProRes 1200
Total Pages Printed: 7067

Enter these commands into startup, save and reboot

swconfig dev eth0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev eth0 set apply
flashMonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I've decided to register and post in this forum because i'm having some pretty nasty problem with my TP-Link WR841N Router.

I flashed it for testing purposes and decided to use it as my 2nd router, it is attached with cable from another router. 1st router was configured to use 192.168.1.1, though until my laptop was connected to 2nd router with CAT5 cable I could use 192.168.1.1 to connect to 2nd but had no internet access. Then I changed WR841N(2nd) to use 192.168.5.1 and since then I cannot open it in web browser.

When I ping 192.168.5.1 in cmd it says time out.
After I tried 30/30/30 hard reset couple of time(atleast 10) I saw this topic saying that reset button is not working.

I also tried tracing my 2nd router IP address with IPScanner and Wireshark but nothing comes out.
Is there any way I can get access to my router and do a factory defaults reset or am I in the so called "brick" situation?
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
flashMonkey wrote:
Is there any way I can get access to my router and do a factory defaults reset or am I in the so called "brick" situation?

Your only solution might be Telnet access: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Telnet/SSH_and_the_Command_Line
And this time flash 27506. It doesn't have any serious bugs.

Seketh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I'm looking for a stable build (with reset button working).

I use the W841N v8 as a wired bridge and wireless AP, which build would you recommend?

Thank you!
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seketh wrote:

I use the W841N v8 as a wired bridge and wireless AP, which build would you recommend?

Thank you!

27506, or wait until next official build (the reset button has just been fixed in http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/27766 ).
The ftp is down at the moment, wait until it's back online to download: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

flashMonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excuse me for my stupidity but I am going to write here again..

Since I don't know my routers IP address(I changed it to 192.168.5.1 but its not responding there) how could I enter in it with telnet ?

As far as I understand knowing your routers IP address is essential when using telnet ?

Any advice will be helpful,
Thank you!

P.S. Here is a screenshot of $ipconfig /all info, I am connected to router through Ethernet adapter -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-8ZpAD-i1xuQ2ZKelhHa1Fld2s/view
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
flashMonkey wrote:

As far as I understand knowing your routers IP address is essential when using telnet ?

Try to use static IP on your ethernet adapter. Like 192.168.5.10

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
Seketh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Seketh wrote:

Thank you!

27506, or wait until next official build (the reset button has just been fixed in http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/27766 ).
The ftp is down at the moment, wait until it's back online to download: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

Thanks for the reply. Will definitely try 27766 once it's out.

Wanted to ask about N-Only mode, is it still buggy? Some devices only connect when NG-Mixed is enabled. Even when it's set to Mixed they don't connect for some reason, only with NG-Mixed.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
NG-Mixed is the best.
Regicide
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 20:08    Post subject: v8.4 Reply with quote
Hi, I hope you can help.
I am using v8.4 of the TP-Link WR841N router. I flashed the following onto it:

12-22-2014 r25697.

Overall this has been successful except that the option to select 'Start OpenVPN Client' does not exist in the services > VPN tab. Only PTPP Client/Server options exist.

Elsewhere on this forum it has been suggested that the flash memory is too small (i think its 4mb?) and needs 8-16mb. However, I'm sure this router can be used with a smaller version of DD-WRT (lite?) with OpenVPN support?

I would like to know two things if possible please:
1: what version of DD-WRT should I use and;
2: If a better version is available, how do I reflash it to the router now that the factory firmware has been replaced?

Many thanks, reg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 43, 44, 45  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 40 of 45
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: