D-Link DIR-600 Repeater Bridge not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
kfarangtingtong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 13:00    Post subject: D-Link DIR-600 Repeater Bridge not working Reply with quote
I am trying to extend the range of my wireless network, using a D-Link DIR-600 vB1, with F/W v24 preSP2 (Build13064), as a repeater bridge. I followed all of the instructions in the Wiki, but the last step, site survey, does not show any other APs. The (Wiz sees lots of APs, though.) And the repeater bridge does not work.

My set-up:
192.168.1.1 AdSL modem/router: Zyxel Prestige 650R-31, most recent FW, sorry I'm not at the router now and can't give the exact number.)I'm using this device as the router, with DHCP translation.

192.168.1.10: Linksys WRT610N (V1)FW: 1.00.03 B15, which is hard-wired (CAT cable) to the Zyxel and is configured as an AP only. I'm using the 2.4 frequency of the WRT610N, with no security to try to use as an AP solely for the Repeater Bridge.

192.168.1.12: D-Link DIR-600 vB1, F/W v24 preSP2 (Build13064). This is the device that I am trying to use as a repeater bridge.

As a Gateway, I use the IP of the Zyxel modem/Router, ie 192.168.1.1

I'v tried mixed mode for both the WRT610N and DIR-600, also auto channel. I've also then set the mode to G on both and also the same channel on both. The SSID's are identical. As I mentioned, I followed the Wiki instructions carefully. and afterwards I tried several different combinations of settings.

This is the first time I've used DD-WRT and I really want to get this to work as it would be great to have somewhat standardized FW across most of my routers.

I apologize in advance if this post is not 100% in line with forum guidelines. I tried to be fully compliant and to that end, did a lot of researching in this forum but I might have missed something.

(I'm not at that network site now so can't give screen shots.)

======
Huawei HG521c modem/router/WAP
Asus RT-AC68U (stock F/W 3.0.0.4.376_1663)
======
Sponsor
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
If anyone is still trying to enable Repeater-Bridge mode (without having to use scripts), try this solution:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60458

If you get it working, post in this thread here about how you did it.

Last edited by bbb_forever on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:07; edited 1 time in total
kfarangtingtong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Although I didn't mention this in my original post, I had a uniquely-named virtual SSID set up on the R-B for all of my tests. However, it did not work.

I just re-ran the test, and I used Vistumbler to scan the APs which were broadcasting. I saw both the original AP and the R_P using the same channel, same mode. I also saw the virtual SSID on the R-B, so the R-B was broadcasting.

The router doing the DHCP translation (Zyxel) did not show the R-B, but it also did not show the LInksys AP even though the Linksys was connected as that was the way my PC got to the Internet. (I can also access the AP by accessing it's IP address.) Only the PC's MAC showed up in the DHCP table.

Anyway, the R-B is not working for me.

======
Huawei HG521c modem/router/WAP
Asus RT-AC68U (stock F/W 3.0.0.4.376_1663)
======
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Set-up WDS instead of a Repeater-Bridge or Client-Bridge. Reply with quote
Okay, I found a better solution!

Set-up WDS Bridging instead of a Repeater-Bridge or Client-Bridge.

It's much easier than R-B.
In fact, it was a breeze to set-up WDS.

So forget about setting-up Repeater-Bridge!

Go see the 4th post in my thread to set-up a WDS:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=367805#367805

You don't even have to create a VLAN.

Post any problems here, along with any relevant screenshots.

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.
- D-Link DI-614+ B-router, sitting around, wanna buy it?

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Linksys 320n Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 › svn13575

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w
xiaoliang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:20    Post subject: Re: Set-up WDS instead of a Repeater-Bridge or Client-Bridge Reply with quote
good idea!Laughing Laughing Laughing thanks!
bbb_forever wrote:
Okay, I found a better solution!

Set-up WDS Bridging instead of a Repeater-Bridge or Client-Bridge.

It's much easier than R-B.
In fact, it was a breeze to set-up WDS.

So forget about setting-up Repeater-Bridge!

Go see the 4th post in my thread to set-up a WDS:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=367805#367805

You don't even have to create a VLAN.

Post any problems here, along with any relevant screenshots.
Hair BrushFlea MedicationFlea RemediesTerminalsSplicesConnector
FKuyt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive the same problem as this guy. My two routers are Linksys WRT54G and Dir-600. If I configure WRT54G as a repeater bridge it would detect the network, but if I configure the Dir-600 as a repeater it wouldnt.
So, i am planning to setting up a WDS. But wouldnt I have problems considering that one is Broadcom and the other one Ralink ?
I also dont understand what you mean in this step:
- After you get the WDS up and running, if you want to connect WIRELESS clients devices to the WDS, create a NEW VLAN specifically for the clients.
How do I do that ?
Thanks in advance.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
FKuyt wrote:

So, i am planning to setting up a WDS. But wouldnt I have problems considering that one is Broadcom and the other one Ralink ?

Yes, it might NOT even work.
Read the FAQ.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

To setup a virtual VLAN, go to the Tutorials section on the Wiki.

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.
- D-Link DI-614+ B-router, sitting around, wanna buy it?

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Linksys 320n Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 › svn13575

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w
FKuyt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
bbb_forever wrote:
FKuyt wrote:

Read the FAQ.

Yes, I read the tutorial wiki so thats why I point out that it could dont work.

And about setting the Dir-600 as repeater bridge, I followed the following tutorial http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge, and after that I Copy the Wireless MAC Address from the main AP's router Status > Wireless Page, and transfer it to the Repeater-Bridge router, but it still doesnt work. The main Ap cant detect the repeater in the Wireless Nodes section. And in the repeater I have no internet and I can access to the gui (I tried the unplug and plug thing and doesnt work for me, the only thing that works to enter to the gui again is to reset).
Any ideas ?
chpyeung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
bbb_forever wrote:
FKuyt wrote:

Read the FAQ.

I wonder the wiki may be obsolete as time pasts. In fact, I tried to establish WDS between WRT54G (as primary) and Fonera 2100 (as secondary) by using WDS. As long as I do not use encryption, the WDS link works fine. The Fonera 2100 (using Atheros chip) may even have its own wireless setting untouched (it still has a different SSID with WPA2 encryption) for the wireless clients. The downside is the wireless on WRT54G is occupied for WDS solely.

Very unfortunately my Fonera 2100 died last week and I would like to buy a cheap replacement router. DIR-300 B1 comes up and I just want to know how compatible between Ralink and Broadcom chips.
FKuyt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
FKuyt wrote:
bbb_forever wrote:
FKuyt wrote:

Read the FAQ.

Yes, I read the tutorial wiki so thats why I point out that it could dont work.

And about setting the Dir-600 as repeater bridge, I followed the following tutorial http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge, and after that I Copy the Wireless MAC Address from the main AP's router Status > Wireless Page, and transfer it to the Repeater-Bridge router, but it still doesnt work. The main Ap cant detect the repeater in the Wireless Nodes section. And in the repeater I have no internet and I can access to the gui (I tried the unplug and plug thing and doesnt work for me, the only thing that works to enter to the gui again is to reset).
Any ideas ?

Done I follow your guide and now I setted up the WDS. I have internet in both routers, I am now connected to the Dir-600 by ethernet and internet works perfectly. The only problem is that i dont know how to connect wireless clients to the Dir-600, since it doesnt have the vlan option in the setup of this router.
Would it work to create a virtual interface in Wireless/Basic Settings ?

Edit: I setted up a Virtual Interface and its working on wireless clients. I will have to keep trying testing to see if its continous.
Thank you very much for your help !
FKuyt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I just tried to set some security and after that the WDS doesnt work anymore. I he set the same security (WPA2 Personal) in both routers, with same key and everything and, after that, internet in Dir-600 doesnt work.
Maybe if I set which MAC Adress can connect would work.
chpyeung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
FKuyt wrote:
Well, I just tried to set some security and after that the WDS doesnt work anymore. I he set the same security (WPA2 Personal) in both routers, with same key and everything and, after that, internet in Dir-600 doesnt work.
Maybe if I set which MAC Adress can connect would work.

Try change the security to disabled in your WRT54G.
ullodea
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
was having the same problem as kfarangtingtong above. I tried various things but couldn't get the dir 600 as repeater to see the ap network (dir 655). I changed the channel to 11 on both ap and repeater (previously tried 1 and 6 but neither work) and it fixed the problem. As a side, i had also changed the key scan time to 30 seconds and enabled mac cloning. good luck, i'm getting good enough n speeds for hd streaming.
xam_max
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Working well on channel 11 also for me with 2 DIR-300 HW B1 Very Happy
aikideshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 21:58    Post subject: DIR-600 Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
I spent several days so far trying to get DIR-600 to work as a repeater bridge using the latest DD-WRT version for it (14311) with no luck. I did the MAC cloning, used Channel 11 (tried others as well), ensured the virtual interface has a distinct SSID, etc.

The 2 DIR-600 SSIDs (the virtual interface as well as the main one, which is a copy of the SSID from my main router) are both showing up. But the repeater SSID is not acting as a repeater but as a competing SSID to my main router.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: