TP-Link WR-1043ND: Stock firmware vs dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:33    Post subject: TP-Link WR-1043ND: Stock firmware vs dd-wrt Reply with quote
Hello all,

I tried to post this to the router's thread but perhaps this is better.

This router is cheap and seems powerful, I just wanna know if stock firmware is usable for normal users or should I put dd-wrt to make it usable..

If you could make a list of vantages and disvantages of stock vs dd-wrt I will be very grateful.
Sponsor
ApokalipseMeow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
The stock firmware is usable. It's just that DD-WRT lets you do more.
I'd put DD-WRT on it even if you're just using it for "normal use"
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your quick response, I'm doing this for a friend that's willing to buy this router, actually I recommended it to him.

Problem is that his not familiar with linux or 3rd party firmware, and from what I've see from router's thread, it's not easy to go back to stock firmware.

Also I saw that optware is not possible at this moment, am I right?

Anyway, let's keep this rolling..
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
from what I've see from router's thread, it's not easy to go back to stock firmware.

The router has a very short tftp window before continuing to boot and it can be hard to slip into it.
Here is a revert file, unpack the archive and upload the binary file in dd-wrt's web gui.

I have not tested the file, I don't have a TL-WR1043N but the file should be ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very useful information LOM! Thanks!
iLove1043
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
i can confirm, it restores 1043nd to stock firmware.

bye bye dd-wrt Wink
ApokalipseMeow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried setting up a TFTP server but couldn't get it to work, so I was just transferring it using ymodem.
Problem is any image I used, when I wrote it to ROM, still didn't boot.
I tried a few images (and deleted the first 0x20200 bytes using HxD)

can someone upload an image with the first 0x20200 bytes removed that they know works?
Or is the one LOM uploaded already with the first 0x20200 bytes removed?

whoops, just realised I made this post in the wrong thread too.
lceron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
fggs wrote:
from what I've see from router's thread, it's not easy to go back to stock firmware.

The router has a very short tftp window before continuing to boot and it can be hard to slip into it.
Here is a revert file, unpack the archive and upload the binary file in dd-wrt's web gui.

I have not tested the file, I don't have a TL-WR1043N but the file should be ok.

It works. Thanks a lot LOM, I have been fighting with tftp for 2 weeks now... thanks again...

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks LOM, that worked!

What modifications did you do? I saw that the file is almost identical to the one on TP-link's website except that something was added to the header.
sco77
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
That factory firmware is really good compared to most routers.. I only use DD-WRT because I like the extra setting and status (bandwidth monitor, connections, etc).
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
fyleow wrote:
Thanks LOM, that worked!

What modifications did you do? I saw that the file is almost identical to the one on TP-link's website except that something was added to the header.

The only modification done is adding a header for dd-wrt, apart from that it is 100% stock.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
1000 thanks! Very Happy
andy81
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
fggs wrote:

Hello LOM,

do I understand "upload the binary file in dd-wrt's web gui" correctly that with the file that you have prepared it is possible to make a normal firmware "upgrade" via dd-wrt web access "\Administration\Firmware Upgrade" without need of using the time critical tftp upload?

Unfortunately I could not find that file in your post anymore. May you upload it again?
-> I found it now, no need to upload again but if possible please explain in a few words the necessary procedure.
In case that the "factory update" still has to be done by ftp upload please describe the necessary ajustments and target folder...
Thank you in advance.

--> ok, I just found out by Try & Success! that tftp was not necessary in my case. The reverse file worked also for me by using the dd-wrt webinterface firmware upgrade functionality. Thank you very much for your support.
With the Hex Editor I noticed that you have added an additional header to the latest factory firmware:

"484452301C007C003D6A1FAF010001001C0000000000000000000000"
May you just explain in short words that I understand what was the reason therefore, thank you in advance.
Where there also other modifications within the code?

Best regards,

Andy

Best regards,

Andy
Nivk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
-Worked for me also thanks.
HiSpeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I replaced my old WRT54G with DD-WRT by this TP-Link.
Until today,I don't find useful to install DD-WRT.
I appreciate very much the Wireless MAC Filtering with status and description, feature not implemented into DD-WRT...

Navigation

Jump to: