TP-Link WR-1043ND: Stock firmware vs dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
xirsteon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
1st time posting here but have been an avid dd-wrt follower for quite some time now (~6yrs) with WRT54G v1.4.

Upgraded to WR1043ND v1.8 and read all of the thread pages regarding this router.

Been rocking the stock firmware on b/g/n and so far has been stable for 3 days w/o any random reboots/disconnection/ router configure loading page issues.

I don't care so much for the N thing so much. I value functionality(connectivity) more than the rest of the issues discussed here (usb, 300mbps, etc) I care that I have better speed over b/g/n but i would be just fine so long as the router just works.

I'll wait till Sunday before I flash the current stable build (factory-to-ddwrt) to the router and see how stable the box is.

Anyone care to advise me whether to pull the trigger now or stay onthe factory firmware?

btw this comment was posted here as I wanted to d/l LOM's restore factory fw.
Sponsor
rarefc3s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have ver 1.8 and have problems with it on stock FW and DD-WRT. Stock it drops the wireless and needs to be rebooted. Major issue with wife and kids using it.

I did the stock to DD-WRT flash followed immediately by the webflash. Build version 14896. Nothing but bugs and problems.

I am thinking about a RMA.
Aditza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
rarefc3s wrote:

I did the stock to DD-WRT flash followed immediately by the webflash. Build version 14896. Nothing but bugs and problems.

I am thinking about a RMA.

try build 17201 instead. v14896 is more than a year old.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/06-14-11-r17201/tplink_tl-wr1043nd/

be warned though that 17201 has a bug with DynDns - that has been corrected since in the source code, but no new *usable* build with the DynDns fix has been published so far. There was an attempt at a newer build but that ended with A LOT bricked wr1043nd routers and it was recalled/retired/nuked.

also some users complain of it dropping wireless speeds from 300mps to normal 54mbps, but that doesn't seem to happen to my WR1043ND v1.8... ymmv
rarefc3s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aditza wrote:

try build 17201 instead. v14896 is more than a year old.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/06-14-11-r17201/tplink_tl-wr1043nd/

be warned though that 17201 has a bug with DynDns - that has been corrected since in the source code, but no new *usable* build with the DynDns fix has been published so far. There was an attempt at a newer build but that ended with A LOT bricked wr1043nd routers and it was recalled/retired/nuked.

also some users complain of it dropping wireless speeds from 300mps to normal 54mbps, but that doesn't seem to happen to my WR1043ND v1.8... ymmv

I am not using DynDns and if need be I have a WRT54G that can. This is just an access point for an XBOX to watch HD video. Thanks for the reply. I am going to flash this build right away.
rarefc3s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 20:28    Post subject: crappy clients? Reply with quote
Flashed the newer build and still do not see more than 130 Mbs. Maybe the Xbox drags the signal down. It is the only client connected. I did try my HTC phone and it connected at about 104 sitting 3 feet from the router. As long as the Xbox can watch the video without issue that is what matters. Its signal meter is pegged.
Aditza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
i also see speeds of around 130mbps, but as i said, it doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't drop by surprise to 54 or less.

I run my router in mixed mode 20/40MHz channel width because i need to sometimes connect older devices but then i know it will drop the speed to match their requirements so it isn't a surprise.
rarefc3s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do have to say this build is much better. The web interface does not like Fire Fox but works fine in Chrome. It is up and running as an WAP only. Still using the old WRT54G as the Gatweway but if I watch TV and then load a webpage via the WRT54G running as a separate AP it is very very slow and causes the live video to buffer. After a day or so of the TP-Link working well I will retire the WRT54G.
jadaka23
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
test
radiskull
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
tnx
jchen1698
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 16:07    Post subject: back to tp-link Reply with quote
thanks for the revert file.

Some users might find the following useful:

use 7zip to extract the .rar file -> .bin
The revert procedure is done via the web interface, much like updating the firmware.

thanks

John
jjs_sg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:07    Post subject: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Reply with quote
As most discussion on this router is dated back last year, I wonder if there is any updates on how DDwrt works on this router now ? I am thinking of upgrading my existing router to this since price-performance of this router by specs is very attractive.

I am a layman to router technology and just looking for a straight forward simple router to run VPN for personal use.

Appreciate any advice.
filesdude187
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
fggs wrote:
from what I've see from router's thread, it's not easy to go back to stock firmware.

The router has a very short tftp window before continuing to boot and it can be hard to slip into it.
Here is a revert file, unpack the archive and upload the binary file in dd-wrt's web gui.

I have not tested the file, I don't have a TL-WR1043N but the file should be ok.

THANK YOU!

Worked great on my TL-WR1043N v1.8 to revert to stock. I'll cross-post over in the appropriate article so save other folks time tracking this down... Wink

Thanks again!
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
filesdude187 wrote:

Worked great on my TL-WR1043N v1.8 to revert to stock. I'll cross-post over in the appropriate article so save other folks time tracking this down... Wink

Funny,
the thread you cross posted to already contains the same file, it has only been downloaded 14788 Time(s)there Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

The router has a very short tftp window before continuing to boot and it can be hard to slip into it.
Here is a revert file, unpack the archive and upload the binary file in dd-wrt's web gui.

Where exactly is the link to this file? I can't find it and I'm in desperate need of the stock firmware..
EDIT: Not sure If it's because I'm new and there's a post limit, but I can see it now. No longer getting the Upgrade failed warning, thanks very much!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: