Need help setting up my router...

midwest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 19:12    Post subject: Need help setting up my router... Reply with quote
Ive been looking through documentation on OpenWRT.com and here but am still a bit confused.

I need to convert my WRT54GS into a kiosk type device. When someone connects to the SSID, it will direct them to a web page ON the router. I also need to store some information from them such as an entered email address.

It would also be helpful if the router could then 'talk' to another wireless or wired device so I could get the data off the box.

Is this possible with DD-WRT? If so, could someone point me in the right direction. (and please dont just say type 'wrt54gs' into the search box) Im not the most technologically savvy person so some detailed directions would be appreciated.

Thx,
S
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 21:35    Post subject: Re: Need help setting up my router... Reply with quote
midwest wrote:
Ive been looking through documentation on OpenWRT.com and here but am still a bit confused.
I am a bit confused too, have you looked a the documentation for dd-wrt?

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
midwest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 21:37    Post subject: Re: Need help setting up my router... Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
midwest wrote:
I am a bit confused too, have you looked a the documentation for dd-wrt?
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your still being a bit vague as to what you have done, what documentation have you looked at?

midwest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
Your still being a bit vague as to what you have done, what documentation have you looked at?

Ive looked at the forums, the Wiki on several sites (this included) and have yet to see if specifically what I want is possible.

Has anyone here set up a wireless router that has the following:

1. Access point SSID broadcasting
2. DNS pointing ONLY to local website
3. Has FTP ability and SMTP server
4. Some sort of light weight database
5. PHP (or some other form of programming language so I can have the website store data in db or file)
6. Able to act as a client connecting to another wireless router so as to manage it remotely.

I cant seem to find exactly what Im looking for. Then again, Im not the most tech savvy. Just looking for someone who may have done this (or knows how) to give me some simple steps. Hopefully the steps dont involve things like "press the search button", since Ive already done that...and this is where Im at.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's alot of different things to be able to put into simple steps. I believe if you get a dd-wrt supported router with USB and have an external harddrive attached to it you can run "frater's optware the right way". I think it with dd-wrt you will be able to accomplish all that, but it is going to be very complicated setup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: