Scheduled "nag screen" feature available?

tbessie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 23:57    Post subject: Scheduled "nag screen" feature available? Reply with quote
Hi all...

I've become the de facto "network admin" for my local internet cafe. The owner asked me if there's any way to add a kind of nag screen for users... you know, some web page that's redirected to every few hours of a given user's use where it says "Remember, please don't abuse our network access, but buy a coffee every once in awhile" or something like that. :-)

I know this is definitely doable with the various "Captive Portal" software implementations out there, but that would require a computer handling all the requests to the outside world instead of the wifi router (which is currently just plugged into the DSL modem).

Anyone know if DD-WRT has such a feature, or something that could be used as such? Adding a proxy server to the cafe's network setup would be a big pain for such a little thing, so I was curious.

- Tim
Sponsor
tbessie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 19:00    Post subject: Anyone? Reply with quote
*bump* Smile
HackerJL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have only seen this available with http://www.untangle.com
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no clue how to do it to be honest but you could potentially make a script that when run waits X number of minutes then forces all DNS/http traffic to a certain location (the nag screen) then reverts it back to normal after say 2 min.

This would not take into account how long someone has been on but would at least be an occurring event.
tbessie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks folks! I appreciate the suggestions!

At worst, we'll buy some "captive portal" software and use it, as mentioned - just trying to keep it cheap for my local cafe owner.

At least it'll be an interesting experience setting it up if I do. Maybe he'll give me free mochas for awhile. :-)

- Tim
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure what is wrong with these, but maybe worth checking out..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Captive_Portal

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
estauffer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 20:48    Post subject: use NoCatSplash Reply with quote
if you use nocatsplash you can set the timeout to be an hour or two rather than the default of 1 day.
ambriel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, that's what I was going to suggest, too.

The default value is set to 86400 (60s*60m*24h) but I have set ours to 3600 (60s*60m*1h) to make it refresh after an hour.
siafu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could also use one of the WiFi hotspot services that are included in DD-WRT like:
http://www.hotspotsystem.com/
http://www.sputnik.com/

Both have free and paid options.

WZR-HP-AG300H & DIR-412 (Nairobi - Kenya)
WRT54GS v3 (Bunia - DRC)
tbessie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
All sorts of good ideas! Thanks everyone!

- Tim
Travis Bickle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 13:00    Post subject: Re: use NoCatSplash Reply with quote
estauffer wrote:
if you use nocatsplash you can set the timeout to be an hour or two rather than the default of 1 day.

This......I use Nocatsplash at my computer repair/cafe with a splash/login page. Just adjust the timeout as previous stated. Has been working perfect for me for 6 months now, just be careful not to "nag" the customers too soon. A 1 hour interval should suffice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: