TEW-673GRU GPL Available from Trendnet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
krizzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apparently I am the dumbest person to ever try this procedure, because I am still hitting dead ends. Very Happy

Following the advice in earlier posts, I set IE9 into IE8 mode and was able to upload the firmware to the router using the "Firmware Upgrade System v1.0.0.2" page. But after reboot, I cannot get an address from the router (nor can I connect if I hard code my laptop on the same subnet).

I flashed back to the Trendnet firmware successfully and ran the upgrade to "factory-to-ddwrt_TWmodlastbit.bin" from within the trendnet GUI. It said "upgrade successful" then went into a reboot countdown. After that, I once again cannot get an address or connect to the device.

I am fairly certain that the router is taking the conversion firmware (the display screen changes to just the "TRENDNET" logo, but then the router is inaccessible.

PLEASE HELP A MORON!! =)
Sponsor
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
krizzz wrote:
Neozen21 wrote:

I just flashed my TEW-673 with the latest DD-WRT, using Win7 32-bit (doesn't matter if 32 or 64bit) and IE9. Used the factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin.

The important thing is to make sure to put IE9 into IE8 mode, by pressing F12 to bring up the Developer Tools, then change the Browser Mode to IE8! Don't close the browser or you'll have to change it again.

If you don't change the browser mode to IE8, IE9 will just sit there and nothing will happen.

Also, make sure you match the signature with the Trenent firmware. It doesn't have any leading zeroes.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Neozen. Two questions:

1. When you say you used the "factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin" did you modify the last byte from a zero to a 1 with a HEX editor or just use it as is?

2. Can explain what you mean by "matching the signature with the Trendnet firmware"? I'm not at all familiar with this process.

Thanks!!

1. Yes. I had to change the last byte to 1 in the "factory-to-dwrt_NA.bin". But not only that, I had to remove the leading zeroes.

2. If you open Trendnet's latest stock firmware (v1.00b40) with a binary editor and go to the end of the file, you will see that there is a string that looks like "AP94-AR7161-RT-080619-01". This is the signature. Now, if you open the latest DD-WRT factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin, you will see that the signature is "00AP94-AR7161-RT-080619-00". Now, you need to change it to match exactly as the Trendnet's. That's is removing the leading 2 zeroes and changing the last zero to 1. Save it and you are ready to go.

Good luck..
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
krizzz wrote:
Apparently I am the dumbest person to ever try this procedure, because I am still hitting dead ends. Very Happy

Following the advice in earlier posts, I set IE9 into IE8 mode and was able to upload the firmware to the router using the "Firmware Upgrade System v1.0.0.2" page. But after reboot, I cannot get an address from the router (nor can I connect if I hard code my laptop on the same subnet).

I flashed back to the Trendnet firmware successfully and ran the upgrade to "factory-to-ddwrt_TWmodlastbit.bin" from within the trendnet GUI. It said "upgrade successful" then went into a reboot countdown. After that, I once again cannot get an address or connect to the device.

I am fairly certain that the router is taking the conversion firmware (the display screen changes to just the "TRENDNET" logo, but then the router is inaccessible.

PLEASE HELP A MORON!! =)

When flashing the DD-WRT firmware, you need to wait a couple of mins after the counter reaches 100%, then restart the router. Then set your network card back to "Obtain IP address from DHCP". By default, DD-WRT sets the router's IP address to 192.168.1.1
So point your browser to http://192.168.1.1 and you will be able to start configuring from there.
l0stnyc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neozen21 wrote:
krizzz wrote:

PLEASE HELP A MORON!! =)

When flashing the DD-WRT firmware, you need to wait a couple of mins after the counter reaches 100%, then restart the router. Then set your network card back to "Obtain IP address from DHCP". By default, DD-WRT sets the router's IP address to 192.168.1.1
So point your browser to http://192.168.1.1 and you will be able to start configuring from there.

You can also "repair" your network connection after you Obtain an IP Address Automatically.
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 19:08    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT firmware unable to apply changes Reply with quote
doug80638 wrote:
I'm hoping someone in here can steer me in the right direction.

I've installed DD-WRT as recommended by zivan56. The firmware appeared to install OK.

The problem I am having is that I am unable to apply any configuration changes. Any attempt to save or apply changes and the DD-WRT web page is replaced with an IE page stating it could not display the webpage 192.168.1.1/apply.cgi

I can walk through the DD-WRT webpages; I just can't make any changes to them, and even the firmware update page will not work to try to revert back to the original firmware.

I can go back to the original web page and walk through the various other pages without a problem.

I've seen the term "recovery mode" but I can't seem to find a description of just what that is.

Any advice you might find useful would be greatly appreciated by this novice.

"recovery" mode is the page you get when you restart the router while holding the reset button for 30 seconds. Then going to 192.168.10.1. That's a special page that will allow you to upload a firmware, and it's independent of the main firmare. It's useful, when the main firmware is screwed up.

I'd recommend you do a 30/30/30 nvram clear then go into recovery mode and flash the latest (R18024) DD-WRT again. Remember to put your IE9 browser in IE8 mode via developer tools (press F12).
zivan56
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no need to modify the firmware yourself. Afterwords, just use the DIR-825 latest firmware (not conversion!) and the DD-WRT firmware upgrade page.
surgeon0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to zivan56. Got TEW-673GRU up and running last night using the simple instructions. Like InvisiBill, modified the 825 NA version, probably could have just used zivan56 TW mod file. It was quick.

My first dd-wrt. Its awesome. Now have to do through the fs NTFS updates. For this one, have to get those drivers in probably with Optware light.

My router info shows signal strength as always 56-65% on one PC (with wifi info excellent 5 bars) and never over 76% on the other one (with wifi info very good 4 bars). The max distance is less than 30 ft. The router is on the table and behind the TV.

Anyone figure out optimum power settings in the Wireless settings page option Advanced Settings? Shows Tx at 20 and Gain 0.

Thanks.
surgeon0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also noticed another thing with this router. Only one LED, not one for wan/inet/ports. The blue power led color does not change like in Belkin, for example, when WAN is lost or you are doing the reset (Belkin changes orange <-> blue). You have to make sure to time your 30/30/30. The LCD screen only displays the logo. Only the browser updates the percent (%) and the status. There is nothing else (blinking lights, color change, ...)

So I guess after a few minutes might mean wait for 3-5 mins to be sure during flashing ... like "Wait 5 mins (take a walk)" ...
Ironman69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashed and working now except for the 5ghz band. Anyone get it to work? If so, what are your settings?
krizzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
All - I really appreciate all the guidance but this thing just hates me. I have a Linksys 2500 on DD-WRT that I love and it took me about 5 minutes to setup...

Neozen21 wrote:

1. Yes. I had to change the last byte to 1 in the "factory-to-dwrt_NA.bin". But not only that, I had to remove the leading zeroes.

2. If you open Trendnet's latest stock firmware (v1.00b40) with a binary editor and go to the end of the file, you will see that there is a string that looks like "AP94-AR7161-RT-080619-01". This is the signature. Now, if you open the latest DD-WRT factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin, you will see that the signature is "00AP94-AR7161-RT-080619-00". Now, you need to change it to match exactly as the Trendnet's. That's is removing the leading 2 zeroes and changing the last zero to 1. Save it and you are ready to go.

Good luck..

I modified the "factory-to-dwrt_NA.bin" file as you instructed. It successfully uploaded, but no change in connectivity after rebooting the router. I waited about 1/2 hour before doing this reboot just to be sure. (I assume the post-firmware reboot is just an unplug for 30 seconds, then plug back in).

Neozen21 wrote:

Yep. I have done every combination of flipping to DHCP, disabling and re-enabling the NIC, ipconifig /release and ipconfig /renew, even hard coding my IP as 192.168.1.2. I simply cannot get to 192.168.1.1 (even via PING).

While I am set to DHCP, my NIC (while watching in Control Panel keeps flipping between "Network Cable Unplugged" --> "Identifying" --> "Unidentified Network" and always has the self assigned "169.x.x.x" address.

Also tried the upload and config from another machine to remove my laptop as the source of the flakiness and this made no difference.

l0stnyc wrote:

You can also "repair" your network connection after you Obtain an IP Address Automatically.

Tried that too but no joy.

One other interesting thing of note. If I read the other posts correctly, after the reboot, you guys are seeing a default WLAN start broadcasting as "DD-WRT", correct? I am not seeing any SSIDs coming from this box at any time.

Any other pearls of wisdom from the collective gurus?

Thanks Again!

Very Happy
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Yep. I have done every combination of flipping to DHCP, disabling and re-enabling the NIC, ipconifig /release and ipconfig /renew, even hard coding my IP as 192.168.1.2. I simply cannot get to 192.168.1.1 (even via PING).

While I am set to DHCP, my NIC (while watching in Control Panel keeps flipping between "Network Cable Unplugged" --> "Identifying" --> "Unidentified Network" and always has the self assigned "169.x.x.x" address.

Also tried the upload and config from another machine to remove my laptop as the source of the flakiness and this made no difference.

l0stnyc wrote:

Tried that too but no joy.

One other interesting thing of note. If I read the other posts correctly, after the reboot, you guys are seeing a default WLAN start broadcasting as "DD-WRT", correct? I am not seeing any SSIDs coming from this box at any time.

Any other pearls of wisdom from the collective gurus?

Thanks Again!

Very Happy

Hmmm.. If you can't get http://192.168.1.1 to respond, even though your network adapter is set to 192.168.1.2 or obtain IP from DHCP, then maybe the DD-WRT flash wasn't successful. Are you sure you flashed it in IE8 mode and the it got to 100%? Maybe download R18024 again? Maybe you have a bad copy. When you edit the file, are you using a binary editor and saving it as binary?

Also, just to be sure, can you plug your computer directly into one of the 4 LAN ports on the router and nothing else?

Finally, try a 30/30/30 nvram clear BEFORE flashing DD-WRT and do it again AFTER flashing. I didn't have to do it on mine, but maybe your router is different.
krizzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neozen21 wrote:

Hmmm.. If you can't get http://192.168.1.1 to respond, even though your network adapter is set to 192.168.1.2 or obtain IP from DHCP, then maybe the DD-WRT flash wasn't successful. Are you sure you flashed it in IE8 mode and the it got to 100%?

Yes, I flashed it to 100% in IE8 mode (thanks for that tip earlier). Once it hits 100%, nothing else happens so I wait (yesterday I let it sit overnight, just cuz...)

Neozen21 wrote:

Maybe download R18024 again? Maybe you have a bad copy.

Not sure what you mean by R18024...is that the official name of the "convert to DD-WRT" firmware?

Neozen21 wrote:

When you edit the file, are you using a binary editor and saving it as binary?

I am editing the file with "Hex Editor Neo" as recommended earlier in the thread. I am just opening the file, editing and clicking save. I haven't done a "save as" or anything that would change the format, but obviously a Hex editor and a Binary editor are different things...

Neozen21 wrote:

Also, just to be sure, can you plug your computer directly into one of the 4 LAN ports on the router and nothing else?

I pulled my laptop off my network and plugged it directly into Port 1 of the Trendnet from the beginning of this mess. I've tried the other ports for grins, but no better.

Neozen21 wrote:

Finally, try a 30/30/30 nvram clear BEFORE flashing DD-WRT and do it again AFTER flashing. I didn't have to do it on mine, but maybe your router is different.

I have done the 30/30/30 before flashing the DD-WRT image, but if I do it after, won't it take me back to the load firmware screen again? Do I just do a regular unplug and reboot after that?

Sorry if I am being thick here, but I appreciate all the forum assistance from you guys!!
harmygeddon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
First off - thanks to everyone who figured out how to get DD-WRT on this router. The original firmware was huge flaming pile...

I would also like to let everyone know that you should manually set to the antenna gain to 3. This is because the 673GRU has 3dBi antennas - the 825 has 2dBi antennas.
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

I have done the 30/30/30 before flashing the DD-WRT image, but if I do it after, won't it take me back to the load firmware screen again? Do I just do a regular unplug and reboot after that?

Sorry if I am being thick here, but I appreciate all the forum assistance from you guys!!

You need to get the latest version of DD-WRT for the DIR-825RevB here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-20-11-r18024/dlink-dir825-revb/

As far as I can tell, you are doing everything right already.
And no, if you do the 30/30/30 after flashing DD-WRT, it doesn't take you to the recovery (firmware) flashing mode.

BTW, I have both a DIR-825 AND a TEW-673 running DDR-WRT. Interestingly, flashing DDR-WRT into the DIR-825 only works in IE7 mode, while the TEW-675 worked in IE8 (haven't tried in IE7 mode). Maybe you should try in IE7 mode, but if you are already showing 100% then I doubt it will make any diff.

Like I said, after the web browser shows it's 100%, wait 3 minutes, then unplug the power cord of your TEW-673. Then wait like 10 secs and plug it back.

If you still can't connect via http://192.168.1.1, with your network card set to auto DHCP or fixed to 192.168.1.100, then do the 30/30/30 on the router.

Last edited by Neozen21 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:54; edited 3 times in total
surgeon0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Changed the gain to 3. My signal quality is still bad. Looks like it is amplifying that. My current readings on only 2 connected:

1. Tx rate 58M Rx 65M Signal -58 Noise -95 SNR 40 :44%
2. 54, 54, -33, -95, 61 :76%

Channel (Auto) 11 (2462 MHz). Is there anything else I should change? Try ch 6 or something?

Last edited by surgeon0 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:04; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: