TEW-673GRU GPL Available from Trendnet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
doug80638
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:55    Post subject: It's working - but I'm not sure why Reply with quote
Thank you Neozen21 for the information on the recovery window.

Fortunately I did not have to use it. I had gone through several reboot cycles, and eventually a power down cycle, to try to get this to work.

It finally started to accept changes, but I can't claim to know just what step brought it back to life.

I noticed that you can only change a couple of settings at a time before saving and rebooting, else some changes would not get recorded.

I happy to say that all is now well. The signal strength is a little lower than the Ausu wl-520gu it replaces. I may try a couple of 9 gain antenna's to see if that would help.

I'd love to here if anyone was successful in using the router as a printer server, and if two printers can be hooked up to the two USB ports, or is DD-WRT limitted to one printer.

Cheers!
Sponsor
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:35    Post subject: Re: It's working - but I'm not sure why Reply with quote
doug80638 wrote:
Thank you Neozen21 for the information on the recovery window.

Fortunately I did not have to use it. I had gone through several reboot cycles, and eventually a power down cycle, to try to get this to work.

It finally started to accept changes, but I can't claim to know just what step brought it back to life.

I noticed that you can only change a couple of settings at a time before saving and rebooting, else some changes would not get recorded.

I happy to say that all is now well. The signal strength is a little lower than the Ausu wl-520gu it replaces. I may try a couple of 9 gain antenna's to see if that would help.

I'd love to here if anyone was successful in using the router as a printer server, and if two printers can be hooked up to the two USB ports, or is DD-WRT limitted to one printer.

Cheers!

Glad everything is working for you now.
You can try to change the TX Power, but do it in little increments. Setting the value too high could result in extra heat, even burning the router. Also, set 3db for the antennas.

Good luck
Hoogineer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
krizzz wrote:
I have done the 30/30/30 before flashing the DD-WRT image, but if I do it after, won't it take me back to the load firmware screen again? Do I just do a regular unplug and reboot after that?

Sorry if I am being thick here, but I appreciate all the forum assistance from you guys!!

30/30/30 before flashing took me into firmware recovery mode, which is the screen from which I uploaded the DD-WRT firmware (again, zivan56's mod'd version -- I didn't feel like doing extra hex-editing). Reference his post.

A sticky in the Broadcom thread -- I realize this isn't Broadcom-based, so not everything there may apply -- says to always do a hard reset (30/30/30) after flashing DD-WRT, b/c it clears out old settings:

Quote:
Failing to do a hard reset and failing to wait after flashing are the two most common NOOB errors that lead them to a world of unnecessary dd-wrt pain! This is not a minor optional step. The firmware writes information to the Nvram. This step clears that information. If you don't clear it properly, parts of the old information be present with the new firmware, which can make it not operate properly. Don't cut corners. Doing it before you upgrade can be very important; a hard reset is not just for after upgrades.

Hard resets will not remove dd-wrt from your router!

Also, it pays to be patient. I wasn't sure I did everything right, b/c it was taking a while to come back, but eventually all was well. If Windows networking indicates that you have connected to the network successfully, go to command line ([Windows key]+[R], then cmd) and run ipconfig to see what the router's IP address is: it's listed as Default Gateawy, in case you're unfamiliar.

At this point, after performing a hard reset, going to the default gateway address in your web browser should do 1 or 2 things:
1.) Bring up TrendNET's firmware load recovery page ... which means that you didn't flash it successfully
2.) Bring up the password change page for DD-WRT ... which means that you win

If you do get the TrendNET firmware load recovery page, I recommend trying to flash again using zivan56's mod'd flash. Reference my post from Saturday.
doug80638
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neozen21 wrote:

Quote:
You can try to change the TX Power, but do it in little increments. Setting the value too high could result in extra heat, even burning the router.

I've observed that the transmit power on the wireless status page remains reported at 17dBm regardless of the TX Power or Antenna Gain settings on the wireless settings page.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I would like to get up to the 20dBm level at the least.

Doug.
krizzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've reached my breaking point with this POS. As I have already swapped out everything on config side (different laptop, different OS, different cable, etc) and re-downloaded the firmware files, it's either the router itself or my process. More than likely it's the process, but I have been through this forum too many times to think I'm missing something.

I'll update when I receive my RMA unit. If I still have problems, look for me on the news behind the tri-state killing spree. Very Happy

Thanks again all for your help.
krizzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
doug80638 wrote:
Neozen21 wrote:

Quote:
You can try to change the TX Power, but do it in little increments. Setting the value too high could result in extra heat, even burning the router.

I've observed that the transmit power on the wireless status page remains reported at 17dBm regardless of the TX Power or Antenna Gain settings on the wireless settings page.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I would like to get up to the 20dBm level at the least.

Doug.

Every change of 3dBm is doubling or halving the power of the radio in mW. So upping the radio Tx from 17 dBm to 20 dBM raises the power from 50 to 100 mW. But going from 20 to 23 dBM raises it from 100 mW to 200 mW. Be careful as you adjust these values or you can easily burn out the router PSU.
doug80638
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I took a look at the NVRAM values for ath0.

There is an inconsistency with those values and the ones set in the webgui. Perhaps the changes can't be seen until there is a power cycle. I'll try that tonight.

NVRAM will reflect changes from webgui in txpwrdbm, but not txantenna. I suspect txantenna gain is being subtracted from pwrdbm so that the actual broadcast power level doesn't exceed the power level requested. At least the math work, but it's a total guess. I'll have to explore this further tonight.

root@tew673:~# nvram show | grep ath0 | grep -i tx
size: 22871 bytes (42665 left)
ath0_txantenna=3
ath0_txpwrdbm=20
root@tew673:~#

I also see some rather disturbing entries in NVRAM:

ath4_auth_mode=disabled
wl_mac_deny=
filter_dport_grp3=
ses_script=
ath0_vifs=
=16 <===================== does not look
¯ä¯ä¯äPÿÿ=20 <============== like valid data
http_redirect_port=3128
oet5_en=0

Not quite sure what it means. Might only be unused space n NVRAM, but those more knowledgeable than I might know better.
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
krizzz wrote:
I've reached my breaking point with this POS. As I have already swapped out everything on config side (different laptop, different OS, different cable, etc) and re-downloaded the firmware files, it's either the router itself or my process. More than likely it's the process, but I have been through this forum too many times to think I'm missing something.

I'll update when I receive my RMA unit. If I still have problems, look for me on the news behind the tri-state killing spree. Very Happy

Thanks again all for your help.

Sorry to hear it still didn't work for you. Hmmm.. maybe you did get a defective unit.

BTW, did you try with R18024? Here is a copy of the "factory-to-DDWRT_NA.bin" that I used. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16591356/factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin It's the latest R18024, with the signature edited to match the stock TEW-673 firmware.

Hope you have more luck with your RMA unit!
doug80638
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Changing nvram to:

ath0_txantenna=0
ath0_txpwrdbm=20

didn't change anything; still 17dBm power. However, the first effort to change txantenna from 3 to 0 resulted in a value of 1 after a power cycle. The second attempt to change it to 0 succeeded.

I guess this will take some deeper investigation to find out what's going on.

Can you upgrade to R18024 from DD-WRT or should you go back to factory firmware first?

Doug.
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Can you upgrade to R18024 from DD-WRT or should you go back to factory firmware first?

Doug.

To upgrade to R18024 from an existing DD-WRT, you need to use the "dir825-frimware.bin" found here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-20-11-r18024/dlink-dir825-revb/

No editing needed and you must update from within DD-WRT, of course.
jasonnovak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got this router yesterday from the newegg sale and am having some issues.

I upgraded to the latest 18024 firmware and found that port forwarding isn't working. I looked through a lot of threads and see people with the same issue but couldn't find a solution. It is correctly showing an internet address in router, and I'm not sure what to do about manually editing IP tables. I also pasted in a line of code into start firewall script box and that didn't help.

So I installed the last 815 firmware in the router database, 14896, which is what I was running on the linksys box I'm replacing, and port forwarding is fine.

However, now I see wireless has full speed, but the ethernet connection on my desktop is very slow, 2-3mbs vs 34+mbs on wireless. I found a thread with the same issue under 14896 build but no real solution other than a wireless adapter on my desktop:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86406&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's a year old thread, and perhaps this fix is already in newer firmware - I never did test LAN speed when I had 18024.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The best solution would be getting port forwarding working on 18024, assuming the lan speed issue is now resolved.
Neozen21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
jasonnovak wrote:
I got this router yesterday from the newegg sale and am having some issues.

I upgraded to the latest 18024 firmware and found that port forwarding isn't working. I looked through a lot of threads and see people with the same issue but couldn't find a solution. It is correctly showing an internet address in router, and I'm not sure what to do about manually editing IP tables. I also pasted in a line of code into start firewall script box and that didn't help.

So I installed the last 815 firmware in the router database, 14896, which is what I was running on the linksys box I'm replacing, and port forwarding is fine.

However, now I see wireless has full speed, but the ethernet connection on my desktop is very slow, 2-3mbs vs 34+mbs on wireless. I found a thread with the same issue under 14896 build but no real solution other than a wireless adapter on my desktop:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86406&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's a year old thread, and perhaps this fix is already in newer firmware - I never did test LAN speed when I had 18024.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The best solution would be getting port forwarding working on 18024, assuming the lan speed issue is now resolved.

Strange, I have both a DIR-825 and a TEW-673 running R18024. On the DIR-825 I have 3 port fwds to 3 different devices in my LAN, they all work OK. Haven't tried on the TEW-673 though.
itsthemedication
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 23:21    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote
Got one of these (TEW-673GRUs) on sale at Newegg - followed your directions - I'm now a ddwrt router owner! Thanks guys! Key for me was the F12 thing with IE to get to IE8. Thanks again. Oh, I'm port forwarding and it works fine.
l0stnyc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am one of the lucky ones who's flash went without a hitch. Router's been up since Friday and just needs a little bit more fine-tuning of the settings.

Thanks again to the OP who let everyone know of the compatibility with DIR-825.
josh6025
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone please re-upload the factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin file to a different file host or use a forum attachment since Megauplod has been shutdown.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: