v3.0-r47911 running on a Dlink DIR859: QOS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
StealthNet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 22:05    Post subject: v3.0-r47911 running on a Dlink DIR859: QOS Reply with quote
Hi there!

Old time dd-wrt user (although not even a 1% knowledgeable compared to you guys). My take on DD-WRT was always plug and play for the last 12, maybe 15 years, since my first WRT54G. In fact, being able to use DD-WRT is my premise when buying an AP. First thing I do is to flash it.

I have an old DLINK DIR859 as my "firewall". Don't laugh.

Years ago when I had to "comply" to ISP/Telco mandatory config (ip addressing, DNS and so forth) I just turned an AP into a NAT device. I can't recall how many APs I used like that but right now it is a DLINK DIR859.

Until yesterday, I had a 200d/100u internet link provided by Vivo (Brazil) through an "Askey RTF3507VW-N2", HW rev. REV2_B2 SW BR_SV_g000_R3507VWN1001_s36.

I was using QOS with some success (at least by my confirmation bias standards). Speedtest was about 140/90 without traffic.

4 APs at home, multiple devices, ranging from cameras, NAS, mobile devices, smartwatches, TVs, notebooks, VMs, you name it (40 devices total).

Everything I run from my notebook is inside a VM with a VPN, including a VM running torrents.

Torrents run in a VM through OpenVPN. All others are using wireguard.

HomeOffice, conferencing all day.

Then I upgraded to 300/150. Clean cabled connection to the fiber "modem" gives me 304/154.

But my current speedtest ceiling through the AP with QOS enabled is 157 Mbps download. Upload is around 107 Mbps.

That's a 50% drop in speed. Is it expected?

Downlink is 290000, Uplink is 145000.

HFSC, FQ-CODEL_FAST, SYN, FIN, RST prioritized.

I only use service priority, the same way I used before upgrading speed, no service changes.

I am starting to think that QOS never helped me; it was just my confirmation bias altogether, but the old time tech in me refuses to give up.

Ideas?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a feeling you may be hitting the limitation of CPU and hardware here; not sure if this may be a matter of tweaking the TCP/UDP networking stack settings / buffers or not. Unfortunately, you can't use QoS with Shortcut Forwarding Engine, and the latter is probably the only thing that will bump your throughput.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/D-Link_DIR-859_rev_A1
Quote:
CPU1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563 (750 MHz)
FLA1: 16 MiB (Brand? SPI)
RAM1: 64 MiB (Winbond W9751G6KB-25)

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: