Converting a WRT320N into E2000 (Success!)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49    Post subject: Converting a WRT320N into E2000 (Success!) Reply with quote
This will mainly be for LOM...

So far, i have downloaded the trailed std 14853 for the E2000 and hex edited the header info, that part seemed pretty easy, but i am unsure where to edit the MACs, easy access pin, and serial numbers in the CFE. Anyway you could point me in the right places?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.

Last edited by buddee on Sun Aug 08, 2010 19:58; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I can't tell you for sure since the E2000 cfe in the cfe collection thread is a pre-production cfe.

We need someone to upload a current E2000 cfe which has serial number and easy connect pins.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here you go...

cfe_e2000.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cfe_e2000.bin
 Filesize:  256 KB
 Downloaded:  4390 Time(s)

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
looks like:

mac is at offset 0x3E098
SN @ 0x3E0AD
pin @ 0x3E0C2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks barry, i will check it out. Smile

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have now edited the E2000 CFE with my WRT320N values at the offsets listed. However, i was wanting clarification before i take the big dive.

When i edited the e2000 CFE and entered in the MAC address for my wrt320n, i have noticed i have 3 MACs for my wrt320n, I edited in the MAC that was listed on the bottom of my WRT320N, is this the only MAC i have to edit in?

Also when i edited the e2000 trailed build header info, i simply opened it in HxD and at the top of the .bin changed the 32X to 320, is this all i have to edit in there, or is there more values i have to edit?

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
I have now edited the E2000 CFE with my WRT320N values at the offsets listed. However, i was wanting clarification before i take the big dive.

When i edited the e2000 CFE and entered in the MAC address for my wrt320n, i have noticed i have 3 MACs for my wrt320n, I edited in the MAC that was listed on the bottom of my WRT320N, is this the only MAC i have to edit in?

Also when i edited the e2000 trailed build header info, i simply opened it in HxD and at the top of the .bin changed the 32X to 320, is this all i have to edit in there, or is there more values i have to edit?

That should be it.. There is only one mac these days.. the other macs are calculated. and 32x to 320, just like the 610. 610N => 61XN.

If you follow the directions for the 610 => e3000, you should be golden.

Be patient.. The 610 / e3000 takes some time. Staring at leds for 30 seconds, seems like 2 hours. Be patient!

Take notes.. And post the proceedures..

If you f$ck it all up, the 320 has operational jtag.. Don't be scared :P

Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
buddee wrote:

That should be it.. There is only one mac these days.. the other macs are calculated. and 32x to 320, just like the 610. 610N => 61XN.

Be patient.. The 610 / e3000 takes some time. Staring at leds for 30 seconds, seems like 2 hours. Be patient!

Good luck

Big thanks barry/LOM for all the help, i have documented the info for the E3000 and edited to the E2000's liking, will post instructs and needed files if this is success. and yes barry, you could tell i was somewhat nervous ;)

Time for the big dive Smile

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Barryware.. LOM.. all i can say for you guys is... KINGS!

I will post exact instructs and files needed after i take my family out for some food, i also noticed there is already a post made for this. Embarassed

wrt320_to_e2000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.98 KB
 Viewed:  143283 Time(s)

wrt320_to_e2000.jpg

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is how to turn your WRT320N into an E2000.
EU users can follow this link to get an EU e2000 CFE...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=514848&highlight=#514848

As with all procedures of this nature, there is a risk. I take no responsibility for what may happen to your router. It is all on you.
If you are not comfortable or there is something you don't understand, do not proceed. You have been warned!

If you have a WRT320N and you do not know what a static ip is, or what a hex editor is, close this thread and continue browsing the forum.

Make sure your anti-virus and firewall software is disabled. Setting a static IP on your rig is recommended, i used 192.168.1.8

There is an oprational jtag on a WRT320N. If you brick your router, it may be recoverable.

If you do not follow the instructions exactly you may need serial to recover assuming your cfe flash was good.

You will need a hex editor program. I use HxD, google it. Notepad is not a hex editor!
winSCP, and you must have SSH enabled in the dd-wrt firmware. winSCP uses SSH for file transfer. Use winSCP in SCP mode.
You will also need an E2000 cfe , and an E2000 build with a modified header. Both are attached below.
The CFE you will have to edit. The modified build is ready to go. Both are attached.

This is what needs to be done:

Backup your existing cfe via http and put it in a safe place.

Edit the attached 2000 cfe with your macs, serial, and the 8 digit easy access pin. All found on your sticker. The CFE is a binary file so you must use a hex editor!

mac is at offset 0x3E098
SN @ 0x3E0AD
pin @ 0x3E0C2

During the process, DO NOT power cycle your router. NEVER power cycle the router until all finished with the final flash and the router has booted.

Reset your router to defaults and enable SSH.

Once your CFE edits are done, use winSCP to copy the cfe file to the /tmp folder of the router.

Close winSCP and open a telnet session.

Issue the following commands:

cd /tmp

mtd unlock cfe

mtd write -f cfe_e2k.bin cfe

It only takes a few seconds to write the new cfe. When back at the telnet prompt, exit the session.

Now access the router via your browser.

Using the admin, upgrade tab, flash the attached build selecting to "reset to defaults" after the flash.

If you do not reset to defaults, your router will brick and you will need serial to recover!

Be patient.. This will take a while and the router may reboot three times. BE PATIENT!
It can take up to 6 minutes or longer. BE PATIENT!

Once booted, access the router, reset to factory defaults once more, then flash a 2000 build without the modified header.

Yes, this means a trailed E2000 build (bin with the router name in it) from Eko's K2.6 Builds

many thanks go out to barryware and LOM for this.

Also blikjebier put together a great doc on the procedure... http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=494291&highlight=#494291

cfe_edit.jpg
 Description:
where to edit the cfe in a hex editor
as you can see its close to the bottom of the file.
 Filesize:  94.74 KB
 Viewed:  143056 Time(s)

cfe_edit.jpg

dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_mod-e2000.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_mod-e2000.bin
 Filesize:  4.77 MB
 Downloaded:  6736 Time(s)

cfe_e2k.bin
 Description:
the e2000 cfe to edit in your values

Download
 Filename:  cfe_e2k.bin
 Filesize:  256 KB
 Downloaded:  5492 Time(s)

Last edited by buddee on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:54; edited 10 times in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
barryware wrote:
buddee wrote:

Good luck

Big thanks barry/LOM for all the help, i have documented the info for the E3000 and edited to the E2000's liking, will post instructs and needed files if this is success. and yes barry, you could tell i was somewhat nervous ;)

Time for the big dive Smile

Concrats..

Macs are correct?

Does the reset button work? Or.. do you still have to enable the reset button via the ses button?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

Concrats..

Macs are correct?

Does the reset button work? Or.. do you still have to enable the reset button via the ses button?

MACs are correct, reset button works fine now.. performed 30-30-30 and it reset to default, so i am guessing it is working fine. From what i can tell.. this is performing the same as an actual E2000, i have my friends E2000 here now as well, really can not tell any difference between the 2.

Edit: one thing to notice though, the led for wireless is very dim, this however does not seem to impede performance whatsoever.

Phonism
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Edit: one thing to notice though, the led for wireless is very dim, this however does not seem to impede performance whatsoever.

It should be fixed in changeset 14902 =)

Asus RT-AC66U DD-WRT v24-sp2 giga - build 25015 [Main]
Linksys E3000 DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega - build 15962 [Backup]
Linksys WRT600N v1.1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929 [Retired]
Linksys WRT54GS v4 DD-WRT v24-sp2 mini - build 15747 [Retired]
E3000 Info | WRT600N Info | Know-it-all thread
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Take that back on the last edit, the wireless LED is dim and does not seem to work at all, no blinking during wireless transfers anyhow. Will keep posted on any other oddities.

Edit: @phonism yes i noticed that change set as well, i am just happy to have this whatsoever, so a dim wl led is really no big deal to me at this point Smile

Last edited by buddee on Mon Aug 09, 2010 0:28; edited 1 time in total
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice work, I'll give it a shot after I'm done with all my VLAN testing.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 41
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: