WRT350N + Blackberry wifi problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dmarkd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 16:57    Post subject: WRT350N + Blackberry wifi problems Reply with quote
I've been wrestling with this problem for more than a few weeks now and I've done everything I can think of. Basically to sum up the issue, I'm connecting to my WRT350N wifi using my Blackberry Bold 9000. Initially, the connection will be fine, but after a seemingly random period of time the wifi icon on the Blackberry will go grey and I will lose my connection. Random means anywhere from <24 hours of functioning service to more than 7 days of things being fine before it stops working. It is doubly peculiar as all other wireless clients continue to work fine throughout the entire situation. To resolve the issue I can quickly login to the dd-wrt web admin, go to the wireless page and click the "apply settings" button - I don't need to actually change anything, I just need to hit apply and the connection magically returns.

To troubleshoot, I have upgraded the firmware on my Blackberry to all compatible version 4.6 firmwares, and then up to version 5. In fact, it is not just my Blackberry that has this issue as my girlfriend's exhibits the same behavior (as an aside, wifi on my Blackberry functions entirely normally while connected to our wireless at work). I have also gone through the Firmware Recommendations thread in the Broadcom forum and tried every DD-WRT version listed there - back to 12533 and up to latest versions. Furthermore, I have tried every combination of wireless settings I can think of - AES+TKIP, just AES, just TKIP. PSK2 Personal, mixed, etc. I cannot find any setting that seems to resolve this issue. I have set a static IP on the Blackberry to eliminate DHCP issues, I've set a reservation to make sure the BB is always getting the same address from DHCP, I've left it unconfigured - no difference. When I try to ping from/to the Blackberry when the icon is grey, I get no successful responses. I've adjusted the wifi channel, checking for low utilization ones in my area, or even just randomly picking something different - no joy.

I'm out of ideas, has anyone else experienced an issue like this or have ideas on resolving it?
Sponsor
dmarkd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still looking for help with this issue, anyone have suggestions? Can I provide any further information?
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would try build 13525 or 12548 (350 v.1 presumably). Use wpa2-aes.

You did do a hard reset before and after flashing, when you flashed each build?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not see a version number noted on the unit so I presume it is v1. It is ser# CNQ01G402398 if that clarifies.

I have ssh'ed in and cleared nvram data via that method - does the 30/30/30 reset do something more than this procedure?

I tried the brainslayer 13525 build listed in the recommended versions thread. Is there an alternate 13525 build? Also, where can I find these alternative builds? I've only downloaded directly from the router database. After poking around the ftp for a bit, I found some builds in /others/eko/V24_TNG/ but am not 100% if these are the right ones.

Thanks for taking a look.
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read all the announcements at the top of the forum. Do a proper HARD reset. Try 12548 or 12874.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, hard reset the router, upgraded to 12874, did the post-upgrade hard reset, and configured my wireless. Everything functioned as expected for approximately 24 hours at which point both mine and my girlfriend's BBs lost their wifi connection to this router. Her laptop continues to function fine via wifi.

Am I missing something, or does it just seem like there is something about a Blackberry that doesn't work so hot with dd-wrt wifi?
dmarkd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gentle bump, still looking for help/recommendations here. No solution yet Sad
Dan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:41    Post subject: Blackberry connected to whr-hp-g54 Reply with quote
I've been connecting a whr-hp-g54 for 18 months flawlessly with a Blacberry Bold 9000 + my daughter connects with her iPhone.

Present build is
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) mini - build 13064M VINT Eko
using WEP encryption.

I just wish my mobile service signal worked as well in my location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: