DD-WRT and netflix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
GreenTentacle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Occurs on my (atheros-based) WRT400N as well. DD-WRT 14896. iPhone4, OS4.02 as well as iPad, most recent OS
Sponsor
jasgrider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:48    Post subject: WNR3500L - Same problem Reply with quote
I have the same problem with my WNR3500L
I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega - build 14896

I've had no problems at work on a Foundry wireless controller managed network or with watching movies on 3G.

I also noticed that TomatoUSB firmware was having the issue but there seems to be a fix out for them now: http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-260275/build-48:netflix-app-ipad-issue

What config info do you need to help figure this out?
DammitBeavis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 19:16    Post subject: No Netflix over WiFi Reply with quote
Same problem here, configuration:
ASUS RT-N16
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega - build 14896
iPhone 4, iOS 4.01
VD$
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem should be in the most recent big/mega builds only. Std and vpn looks fine. Something blocks netflix video stream.
keyofnight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having the same problems on a wrt160nv3 on the following revisions: 14853, 14896, and 14929.

r14815 seems to work with Netflix, but I can't get client bridge to work with it. What a predicament.

"[We] must so to speak throw away the ladder, after [we have] climbed up on it." Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus, §6.54
axemanozh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
VD$ wrote:
The problem should be in the most recent big/mega builds only. Std and vpn looks fine. Something blocks netflix video stream.

I was having the issue with the most recent K26 stdnokaid version on my WRT-160Nv3. 14826 was the most recent SVN I could use that didn't have the issue.
keyofnight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
axemanozh wrote:

I was having the issue with the most recent K26 stdnokaid version on my WRT-160Nv3. 14826 was the most recent SVN I could use that didn't have the issue.

Great. Perhaps 14826 will be new enough to fix my client bridge issues, but old enough to avoid the Netflix bug.

Thank you—I'll give this one a shot.

"[We] must so to speak throw away the ladder, after [we have] climbed up on it." Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus, §6.54
flyboytyler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 15:28    Post subject: Seeing the same thing Reply with quote
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini build 14896
Linksys WRT320N

Says movie loading then returns to previous screen. If I connect to a VPN it works fine.
robackja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was happening to me with OpenWRT router. Netflix is poorly configured and the router was detecting a DNS-rebind attack, recently added to both OpenWrt and DD-WRT. I white-listed ihost.netflix.com and it started working instantly.

Though, I am not sure how you go about whitelisting a host for in dnsmasq with DD-WRT, as I no longer use DD-WRT. Probably have to specify the dnsmasq command line options in the dnsmasq config textbox, IIRC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:37    Post subject: Partial solution? Reply with quote
I have the same issue. Based on everything I read, I thought I had a solution (added to the startup commands for my "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std-nokaid-small"):

sleep 5
sed -e "/$stop-dns-rebind/d" /tmp/dnsmasq.conf > /tmp/dnsmasq.conf.fixed
mv /tmp/dnsmasq.conf.fixed /tmp/dnsmasq.conf
killall -HUP dnsmasq

The first time I ran this from the terminal, Netflix streaming started working on my iPod Touch. I rebooted, and the streaming is broken again. Posting in case someone else wants to experiment with this. The dd-wrt/Netflix issue definitely appears to be associated with DNS rebinding protection.
bytecave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:06    Post subject: Disable DNSMasq workaround for Netflix streaming Reply with quote
Same issue too (Netflix->loading movie), iPhone 3Gs with OS 4.0.2

WRT54G-TM running dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin, build 14896 (VPN build)
wl0 - WPA2 Mixed PSK, TKIP

I've temporarily worked around this by disabling Services->DNSMasq. I'm able to play Netflix movies now (verified with 3Gs antenna off -- airplane mode -- and WIFI turned on connected to my router).
klidec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried entering under "Additional DNSMasq Options"

rebind-domain-ok=/ihost.netflix.com/

But that did not fix my issue with the latest brainslayer build.
It actually made it so i could not access any site.

Anyone know the right dnsmaq option/command to allow for ihost.netflix.com?
klidec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just did some research and it looks like this option would work.

rebind-domain-ok=/ihost.netflix.com/

Except that the dnsmasq version on the latest build does not support that parameter.

Hopefully the next build will?
klidec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like we won't be getting a new dnsmasq version that supports the rebind ok option.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/1709#comment:1

But we will be getting an option to disable the rebind protection.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/changeset/15049

Wish we could have both protection and netflix but I guess netflix should fix things on their end.
robackja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
klidec wrote:
Looks like we won't be getting a new dnsmasq version that supports the rebind ok option.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/1709#comment:1

But we will be getting an option to disable the rebind protection.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/changeset/15049

Wish we could have both protection and netflix but I guess netflix should fix things on their end.

And this is exactly why I moved on to OpenWRT, DD-WRT is impossible to build yourself, plus developers refuse to workaround things like this.

I know netflix is probably the problem, but its netflix, its popular, its nice to have the workaround, because, even if netflix recognized the problem today, it wouldn't be fixed instantly, because they have a test things, approve changes, etc, they're a company and for better or worse, that is how companies work.

Navigation

Jump to: