DD-WRT and netflix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
wayner9 wrote:
What is the best resolution to this problem? Manually entering a DNS? Disabling Use DNSMasq for DNS? Using an older firmware?

FYI - I am using build 14929 on an Asus RT-N16 router.

It's already been answered!
Set "No DNS rebind" to "disabled"

For those that don't have this dnsmasq setting, put this in rc_startup (Administration => Commands => save startup):
Code:
killall dnsmasq
sed -i -e 's/^stop-dns-rebind/#&/' /tmp/dnsmasq.conf
dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
Sponsor
puballplayer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16    Post subject: DD-WRT and Netflix Fix Reply with quote
This post shows the fix for the Netflix streaming issue on iOS.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/search.php?search_author=klidec&sid=236e8e00960d34be05784ad9cc9b6576

Just disabling "No DNS Rebind" on the services page corrected the issue for me.
speedy71471
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT and Netflix Fix Reply with quote
puballplayer wrote:
This post shows the fix for the Netflix streaming issue on iOS.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/search.php?search_author=klidec&sid=236e8e00960d34be05784ad9cc9b6576

Just disabling "No DNS Rebind" on the services page corrected the issue for me.

This worked for me with 15334. All is well in the world of obscure and old movies!

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey gang, disabling DNS rebind worked for me.

Thanks
vmgp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 0:04    Post subject: Re: Same Issue Reply with quote
klidec wrote:
yourmapper wrote:
I'm having the same issue with my WRT160nV3 using the latest firmware build: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini - build 14896. Just waiting for a new build that fixes it, or to hear a solution. Don't want to downgrade.

dimaspivak was able to get it to work by disabling dnsmasq for both DHCP and DNS.

Hi

I am using the same router WRT160nV3 and I have the same problem my laptop and everything connect right through the router vpn but netflix when the movie its going to start it goes back to the movie menu.

I am using the firmware dd-wrt.v24-16403 should I disable dnsmasq for both DHCP and DNS and it should work? or should I go back to firmware dd-wrt.v24 14896?

any help pls?
speedy71471
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes using uDHCPd should resolve the problem otherwise go back and read what was said here for your answer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 14:36    Post subject: Re: Same Issue Reply with quote
vmgp wrote:
klidec wrote:
yourmapper wrote:
I'm having the same issue with my WRT160nV3 using the latest firmware build: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini - build 14896. Just waiting for a new build that fixes it, or to hear a solution. Don't want to downgrade.

dimaspivak was able to get it to work by disabling dnsmasq for both DHCP and DNS.

Hi

I am using the same router WRT160nV3 and I have the same problem my laptop and everything connect right through the router vpn but netflix when the movie its going to start it goes back to the movie menu.

I am using the firmware dd-wrt.v24-16403 should I disable dnsmasq for both DHCP and DNS and it should work? or should I go back to firmware dd-wrt.v24 14896?

any help pls?

I disable dnsmasq for both DHCP and DNS and netflix work perfectly.

thanks.
vmgp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi again

I have a new problem, how can I share files between this two routers?

Without losing netflix vpn connection.

Now I can´t see the movies I have on my laptop connected to router one because the atv is connected to router 2 with a vpn, is there a way they can share files?

thank you for your help.
vgsenthil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 20:39    Post subject: xbox netflix problems Reply with quote
Hello,
I am using dd-wrt firmware 16773 on an Asus RT-N12. I have already unchecked the "No DNS rebind" option in the services page. Netflix takes a very long time to start on my xbox 360. When i eventually choose a movie, data coming into the box is bursty. I am looking at the data coming in from the status->bandwidth page. I've tried forcing the xbox to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 ). That didnt seem to help at all.

I went back to my old asus 1.0.0.8 firmware and netflix seems to start much faster and plays HD movies fine.

What else can i check ?
ait109
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I added this to my startup script:

echo 127.0.0.1 ihost.netflix.com >>/etc/hosts
killall -9 dnsmasq
dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf

It seems as if dnsmasq will serve anything in the hosts file even if stop-dns-rebind is enabled. Rebooted router, iphone, and ipad. Netflix streaming works. This allows you to keep the extra security of stop-dns-rebind except for just this one hostname.

I'm on firmware rev 14896.
MrShannon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ait109

Thanks for the the alterantive! I like the idea that it only disables rebind for the one hostname and it worked for me on DD-WRT v24-sp2. I needed to copy that text to notepad and then paste it into the WebUI of DD-WRT to make it work. When copying it directly from IE it appended some control chaacters that caused things not to work right on the first try.

Also, I tried to manually edit the host file using vi to add the entry but after a reboot the host file apparently gets re-written, so using the start up script is needed to re-add this entry and restart dnsmasq.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DNSMasq_-_DNS_for_your_local_network_-_HOWTO

Another option (as opposed to using the startup script) would be to add this "Additional DNSMasq Options" found under Services, and then reboot the router.

address=/ihost.netflix.com/127.0.0.1

That did the trick for me and I like it a little better than restarting the dnsmasq service on every reboot.
mrsdonovan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 18:57    Post subject: Facebook App Streaming and DNS Rebind Reply with quote
I realize I am bringing a zombie back to life, but it has relevance because it solved my problem. I use DNSMasq on my network extensively to make local servers easier to find but the Facebook App on my iPhone 5 would not populate the content properly, just sitting there spinning and saying "Reestablishing connection".

Disabling the "DNS rebind" fixed the problem.

DNS Rebind is a security feature, however, if you are using openDNS, you are already protected as it filters local IP addresses (Source)

My system consists of:

Shaw Cable
    Using OPENDNS servers
    Asus RT-N16
    DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/03/14) big

Cheers, Sean
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: