WDS between Broadcom and others

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 17:07    Post subject: WDS between Broadcom and others Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm posting this for a friend, he has WRT350N v1 and wants to extend wireless range at his home, what are his options?

I recommended TP-Link WR1043ND, but is Atheros based, wiki says Broadcom doesn't work with others chips, did I understand correctly?

Is there a good option (router) for WDS with his router? If not, which mode he can use? Repeater bridge?

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 23:12    Post subject: Re: WDS between Broadcom and others Reply with quote
fggs wrote:

I recommended TP-Link WR1043ND, but is Atheros based, wiki says Broadcom doesn't work with others chips, did I understand correctly?

Not all the way correct, its not that absolute. It should say more like Broadcom doesn't work well with others, also WDS is a little different, so long as the hardware supports it (and yes the HW has to support WDS in order for it to work because WDS is not a standard 802.1 protocol) then in theory it should work. But to be on the safe side, i would simply pair his linksys up with another broadcom chip that supports WDS.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you recommend a good router for him to pair with his linksys?
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could not get wds to work at all between my broadcom routers and my ralink model, all with dd-wrt running.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I do know is that TP-Link WR1043ND has WDS support with stock firmware, but it has Atheros.

It's complicated to buy and then didn't work..
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
A D-Link DIR-600 (Ralink) my new ISP gave me, didnt work in WDS with my other Broadcom units. I'd recommend not to mix brands.
Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the confirmation Peabody and oxygenx.

As I said, it's complicated, Linksys new models doesn't have external antennas, which is important, at least in my opinion.

What are the options besides Linksys for a good Broadcom based router with external antenna?

Also, he wants to keep the same SSID and that's what WDS does, but if not possible, what's next? Repeater bridge?

Does Broadcom work with Atheros/Ralink/etc in Repeater bridge?

Thanks for all the answers
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:

Does Broadcom work with Atheros/Ralink/etc in Repeater bridge?

the mentioned D-Link DIR-600 worked in repeater bridge with broadcoms, although it was slow (slower than a WRT54GL in WDS, dont know why).
It's a 1x1 2.4 Ghz n-unit with a detachable antenna.

i'd say on the sheet it's a nice client bridge unit, but this mode is not supported because of hardware limiations of the ralink chipset (fun fact: Repeater Bridge is supported)

Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was searching for a router, but Supported Devices from wiki didn't gave me much options.

DIR-320 seems good and also a few from Asus, but I think would be hard to find them here in my country.

Let's see if someone come up with a better idea, thanks again oxygenx!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peabody wrote:
I could not get wds to work at all between my broadcom routers and my ralink model, all with dd-wrt running.

Out of curiosity, which ralink model do you have?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Peabody wrote:

Out of curiosity, which ralink model do you have?

Buffalo 300n.

Fgg...get an asus 520gu. Good router. Cheap. External antennas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like a good router, I will see if I can find it here.

Thanks Peabody
chpyeung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:23    Post subject: Re: WDS between Broadcom and others Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
Hi,

I'm posting this for a friend, he has WRT350N v1 and wants to extend wireless range at his home, what are his options?

Is there a good option (router) for WDS with his router? If not, which mode he can use? Repeater bridge?

Thanks in advance

I tried several scenarios of establishing WDS between my routers.
1. Linksys WRT54G (Broadcom) with FON 2100 (Atheros) - WDS only works if no encryption used.
2. DLINK DIR-300B1 (Ralink) with Linksys WRT54G (Broadcom) - WDS only works if no encryption used.
3. Linksys WRT610v2 (Broadcom) with Linksys WRT54G (Broadcom) - WDS works with WPA2-AES now.

My conclusion is that you should choose broadcom chipset for 2nd router if you want encryption in WDS link.
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks chpyeung!

I recommended Asus 520gU for my friend, I don't think there's a good N router right now for WDS, at least I couldn't find an N router with external antennas..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: