V24 Development

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Am I the only one bricking routers with the RC7 firmware released on 4/24? I have been flashing through wired interface and sometimes it works, most the time I get a brick with flashing lights, I can ping 192.168.1.1, but it gives me an error (forgot what it was, but can get the error again) when I try to tftp the firmware back. I am going to try to tftp the stock firmware before I get the jtag cable.

The other issues are, I have a big wds network and if I ssh in and wget the firmware to /tmp and write the .bin after waiting and then rebooting, if the unit actually takes the firmware w/ out bricking, the WDS connection wont automatically come back up. I have ot go out to the device, reset to default and re-enter all the config manually. (forget backups of the config)

I would say of 7 attempts, I ended up with 2 bricks and the rest required me to go out and get the routers and re load / stage them...

I am running WRT54GL v1.1, most all of these are upgrading from rc5 of v24 to rc7 of v24.

Let me know if you would like to know any other info. in the mean time I am going to stay with rc5... (really wanted to try out olsr)

Tom
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
small update, I was able to unbrick my routers by tftp'ing stock linksys firmware. Then reflashing with dd-wrt. maybe I could have done the same using the mini dd-wrt.

eitherway, 100% going from rc5 to rc7 the only safe way is by defaulting at the same time.

Tom
nickyng
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
duewydo wrote:
Am I the only one bricking routers with the RC7 firmware released on 4/24? I have been flashing through wired interface and sometimes it works, most the time I get a brick with flashing lights, I can ping 192.168.1.1, but it gives me an error (forgot what it was, but can get the error again) when I try to tftp the firmware back. I am going to try to tftp the stock firmware before I get the jtag cable.

The other issues are, I have a big wds network and if I ssh in and wget the firmware to /tmp and write the .bin after waiting and then rebooting, if the unit actually takes the firmware w/ out bricking, the WDS connection wont automatically come back up. I have ot go out to the device, reset to default and re-enter all the config manually. (forget backups of the config)

I would say of 7 attempts, I ended up with 2 bricks and the rest required me to go out and get the routers and re load / stage them...

I am running WRT54GL v1.1, most all of these are upgrading from rc5 of v24 to rc7 of v24.

Let me know if you would like to know any other info. in the mean time I am going to stay with rc5... (really wanted to try out olsr)

Tom

nope..upgraded my WRT54G v.4 from v2.4_RC4 to RC7 without any hiccups so far... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
nickyng wrote:

nope..upgraded my WRT54G v.4 from v2.4_RC4 to RC7 without any hiccups so far... Smile

Well, maybe I am just having personal issues. I will start trying to deploy again here next week. I have noticed that the routers that I re-flashed and re-configured, that the signal strength has gone up on most and as well the throughput.
vagder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
where can i find the difference between versions and RC?
Now i have v24 RC-5 i know that this is not the last but i want to know what are the differences.
pug306d
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no official changelog that I know of, the closest thing we have got is the Trac Timeline

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
hard to maintain a hand written changelog. the details and changes are massive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firmware: DD-WRT v24 RC-7 (04/24/0Cool std
Time: 00:01:29 up 1 min, load average: 0.32, 0.16, 0.06
WAN IP: 0.0.0.0

i have a wrt54g v1.1 and it refuses to conect wirelessly using this build i have changed the preamble and several settings to check if it was that. (settings were fine on the old build) (driver issue with the wireless card maby?) rebooted roughter and reset to factory defualts it has not worked correctly since rc4. It is showing 26 packets sent no packets recived even after trying to connect to it. the wiz survay is seeing other networks. I am using a usb linksys adpter. also tryed it on my intel laptop using the intel wireless.( both could previously connect)any clue what is going on i will do what ever needed to help trouble shoot this. this is a spare roughter so its just a toy using it for bug hunting. btw what is the differance between mega and std ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
linearburn wrote:

i have a wrt54g v1.1 and it refuses to conect wirelessly using this build i have changed the preamble and several settings to check if it was that.

linearburn, I would suggest before spending to much time on this, go to the administration tab then default I think it was and reset it to default config and completely reconfig the unit. I find this fixes 95% of all issues.

Tom
xbmcfiend
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 0:42    Post subject: RC7 Odd Networking Issues Reply with quote
Upgraded a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 from RC5 to RC7 a couple of nights ago and began experiencing some strange networking issues:

1) None of my wired computers could ping (or any other type of network access) any of my wireless computers. Wireless computers could ping each other and wired computers without any problems.

2) Wired computers physically connected to the same GigE switch as the wireless router began experiencing general networking issues such as: sporadic inability to ping other wired computers; resulting in either timeouts or "destination unreachable" errors.

I had a hard time believing that number 2 above could be caused by the wireless router, but the upgrade to RC7 was the only thing that I'd changed on my network so I disconnected power to the wireless router and all of the networking problems my wired computers were suffering disappeared.

All of the settings in the GUI looked good to me after the upgrade (with exception to my TX power setting being changed from 10mW to a new default value of 70mW). Unfortunately, I could not do any troubleshooting beyond this cursory look at the settings because the impact to my network was so severe. I downgraded back to RC5 and restored my NVRAM and the problems went away.

Hopefully someone can isolate what may have caused this odd behavior by RC7.

Thanks.
xupa_mix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
linearburn wrote:
i have a wrt54g v1.1 and it refuses to conect wirelessly using this build i have changed the preamble and several settings to check if it was that. (settings were fine on the old build) (driver issue with the wireless card maby?) rebooted roughter and reset to factory defualts it has not worked correctly since rc4. It is showing 26 packets sent no packets recived even after trying to connect to it. the wiz survay is seeing other networks. I am using a usb linksys adpter. also tryed it on my intel laptop using the intel wireless.( both could previously connect)any clue what is going on i will do what ever needed to help trouble shoot this. this is a spare roughter so its just a toy using it for bug hunting. btw what is the differance between mega and std ?

I'm also having the same problem with WRT54G v1.0, using both Micro or Standard RC-7. I already tried to reset but no go on the wireless, it just keeps saying "Waiting for the network ...". Any ideas?

Thank you.
Cleon
arafey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you perform a hard reset before flashing firmware and after flashing firmware?
xupa_mix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
No I didn't. Later today I will try to do a hard reset before and after flashing. Just to check, I need to hold the reset button more than 5 seconds? Thank you.

Cleon

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
xupa_mix wrote:
No I didn't. Later today I will try to do a hard reset before and after flashing. Just to check, I need to hold the reset button more than 5 seconds? Thank you.

Cleon

I also think that the reset to default option on the admin tab in the web interface does the same thing.

let us know if it works,

Tom
xupa_mix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again,

Did everything (hard reset before and after, admin reset) and nothing. It just doesn't connect via wireless although my computer detects it. I also found something strange on the Wireless MAC Filter tab, everything says "error", instead of saying Wireless MAC Filter: Enable Disable, it says error: error error. And everything else the same, even the tab says error!?!?

Any ideas? Thank you.
Cleon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 41 of 43
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: