GURU's Netgear wndr 3400 update - test build page 7

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
bryanchewy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 21:08    Post subject: GURU's Netgear wndr 3400 update - test build page 7 Reply with quote
I just got two of these from staples for $55 each (80 -25 coupon). They seem to be very much like the wndr3700 without gigabit ports, etc.

I was wondering if anyone knows when/if there will be dd-wrt support for these.

I know they are new, but for what they do and the price, seems like a really good unit. (dual n simultaneous!!!)

Appreciate any info. TIA Very Happy
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
a serial boot log or donated unit would help speed up the process, other than that, you'll have to wait till the devs get a hold of one.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
bryanchewy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you could give me some steps on getting the log, i could do that for you guys
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will have to open the unit up and take pics for sure. Then we can somewhat know what kinda connections is has. If infact it has a serial connector, You will need a serial connection for the boot log, you can get the cheap cables from ebay, ca-42 works fine..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_detection

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are enough of good pictures of the internal at the FCC site so photos are not needed.

The router is using the new radio chip BCM43224 for which there is no driver source available but it may be possible to operate it in 2.4GHz b/g/n if Netgear has used the internal radio of the 4718 cpu for 2.4GHz.

Netgear has also recently showed a nasty habit of trying to lock out 3rd party firmware from their routers so Eko will not be able to add support for the WNDR3400 without getting a donated router.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 16:37    Post subject: Preliminary Open Source Drivers for the BCM Reply with quote
FYI, I believe that preliminary open source drivers for the BCM43224 have become available recently.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211
bryanchewy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got an email from DD-WRT developers stating that it is a WIP. From the router database they linked me to it looks like it has serial and jtag. It also looks very similar with chip of the 3500 V2 and 3500L.

WNDR3400 - PY309300116 Broadcom BCM4718A1@480 64 8 Broadcom a/b/g/n Dual Radio - yes yes 1 WAN 4 LAN - 12V 1.5A 1 usb2.0 wip

WNR3500 v2 PY308400093 Broadcom BCM4718A@480 16 4 Broadcom b/g/n - - - 1 WAN 4 LAN - 12V 1A Gb switch v24 sp2 - build 12966 - 20090923 -

WNR3500L ? PY308400093 Broadcom BCM4718A@480 64 8 Broadcom b/g/n - - - 1 WAN 4 LAN - 12V ?A USB, Gb switch v24 sp2 - build 12966 - 20090923 -

What else can I do? I don't know how to do the serial thing, but if someone helps me I can do it.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 17:02    Post subject: Re: Preliminary Open Source Drivers for the BCM Reply with quote
amendpa wrote:
FYI, I believe that preliminary open source drivers for the BCM43224 have become available recently.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211

That is very preliminary, lots of work has to be done and it won't be a functional driver this month, probably not even this year.

"initial 'rough' port supports STA mode."

"Features to be added: AP mode, powersave, IBSS, 40 Mhz channels ."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quick question for you gurus. i ahve 2 of these 3400 bridged on the 5.0 band. Settings are "upto 300Mbps". I am wired to the client and the base which are only 5 feet apart and show 300Mbps and excellent on status page.

When i run "iperf" i am only getting 35Mbits/sec. Am i crazy or is this slow.

i am not familair with N speeds but i thought it was supposed to be faster than that.
GreenCube
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just bought this router for one of my clients (a coffee shop... with the intention of eventually setting up a hotspot).

Any word on the WIP on this router?? Thanks in advance
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
GreenCube wrote:
I just bought this router for one of my clients (a coffee shop... with the intention of eventually setting up a hotspot).

Any word on the WIP on this router?? Thanks in advance

Last i knew, still waiting on a driver for this unit, so unless the devs get a driver for it and then get a unit possibly donated to eko, or serial boot logs etc., then i don't see support happening till that happens.

If doing this is an immediate must, i would return that unit and reference this list and get an already supported unit. Any of the broadcom supported units with 4MB flash or more in that list should work fine. Of course i would shoot for an 8MB minimum flash.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

djmaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you need a device for developing a new firmware?

I've one, but i need a DD-WRT-version for it.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
There are enough of good pictures of the internal at the FCC site so photos are not needed.

The router is using the new radio chip BCM43224 for which there is no driver source available but it may be possible to operate it in 2.4GHz b/g/n if Netgear has used the internal radio of the 4718 cpu for 2.4GHz.

Netgear has also recently showed a nasty habit of trying to lock out 3rd party firmware from their routers so Eko will not be able to add support for the WNDR3400 without getting a donated router.

An update:

For those unaware the radio driver in k2.6 builds has been updated to support newer radios, but Eko will still need a router to get it working if he doesn't have one yet.

djmaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've send an Email to Thomas Gottschall to send my device to him, but did't know if he can support new wireless chipsets today / in the future.

Quote:
mmh schon wieder ein broadcom gerät. ich muss da erstmal prüfen ob wir die wireless chipsätze derzeit unterstützen können

Thomas[/quote]
shawnlam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Checking DD-WRT Supported Devices for WNDR3400.....
Still wip.

Checking Netgear.com for firmware update.....
Nothing.

Checking my own ability to make DD-WRT work.....
Hahaha!

Looks like I'm gonna have to remain patient.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 24
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: