GURU's Netgear wndr 3400 update - test build page 7

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
ewaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is my first post to the forums. I have successfully installed DD-WRT on my WNDR 3400 - N600 version 1 router. Very impressive; kudos to all involved. I will be making a financial contribution in the near future.

My only critique would be with the documentation. I am an engineer who designs embedded systems. I also run Linux on three desktops and in four virtual Linux machines on Windows 7 hosts. The installation of DD-WRT required a lot of research wading through outdated documentation and erroneous forum posts.

As such, I thought I would share the milestones in bringing my router up.

1. Download dd-wrt.v24-18000_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400.chk
2. Use the Netgear factory software to "Update" to the above download.
3. Boot the router. Breathed sigh of relief when it came up.
4. Configured the Radio and WAN.
5. Downloaded dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv64k.bin
6. Updated router to the big version from above.
7. Configured the Radio and WAN. Turned off telnet and turned on ssh. Uploaded the public keys of my laptop for ssh.
8. Set up USB storage, Samba and FTP, port forwarding and sshd.
9. Lost a week screwing with JFFS and ipkg. Got back on course when I installed optware using http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware,_the_Right_Way using USB storage.
10. installed emacs Smile Turned on Asiablock. Installed Python (because I can).

I now have a Linux based router into which I can ssh and use a Bash shell. The router serves a Samba share allowing my daughter's Macs, my Wife's Windows, and my Linux boxen to share a common NAS drive. Dual radios are working great. SSH, HTTP, and SMTP ports from the outside are forwarded to the appropriate machines on my network. My laptop is providing logging services for the router.

Next step is to move the hosting for an HP printer from the Windows Box to the router. Right after that, figuring out how to set up NFS so that non-toy operating systems don't need to use Samba.

Edit: Typo
Sponsor
DarrylLicke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
ewaller wrote:

1. Download dd-wrt.v24-18000_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400.chk
2. Use the Netgear factory software to "Update" to the above download.
3. Boot the router. Breathed sigh of relief when it came up.
4. Configured the Radio and WAN.
5. Downloaded dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv64k.bin
6. Updated router to the big version from above.

Could you go into more detail for these steps? I've tried getting my 3400 up and running but right now all I've got is a blinking 2.4Ghz light.

Could it be that I used 17990 for mini and mega for step 5? For whatever reason the main router is not picking up the signal of the 2nd router that had dd-wrt on it.
SyberT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
DarrylLicke wrote:

Could you go into more detail for these steps? I've tried getting my 3400 up and running but right now all I've got is a blinking 2.4Ghz light.

Could it be that I used 17990 for mini and mega for step 5? For whatever reason the main router is not picking up the signal of the 2nd router that had dd-wrt on it.

Using the correct builds of 17990 instead of 18946 should work. What I am concerned with is that the router with the blinking light possibly being bricked. Are you able to log into that router at all? If so, then all we may need to do is the steps to set it up as a repeater or bridge. I have my wndr3400v1 successfully set up as a bridge.
DarrylLicke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
SyberT wrote:
DarrylLicke wrote:

Using the correct builds of 17990 instead of 18946 should work. What I am concerned with is that the router with the blinking light possibly being bricked. Are you able to log into that router at all? If so, then all we may need to do is the steps to set it up as a repeater or bridge. I have my wndr3400v1 successfully set up as a bridge.

That's why I'm confused. I can log in and make changes just fine. They save and reboot the router but I still have a blinking light.
mikewv100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:56    Post subject: trying to get usb HD working on wndr3400 Reply with quote
Was able to load mega f/w on unit. Works great. One of the main reasons I got router was to use external HD for storage. Worked before upgrade. I have searched and everything I am reading is over my head. Is there a simple way to enable usb and get to where I can see on other computers on network. I follow instructions real well, but have no clue about writing code.

Thanks in advance
SyberT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
DarrylLicke wrote:
That's why I'm confused. I can log in and make changes just fine. They save and reboot the router but I still have a blinking light.

Hmm. I presume your dd-wrt is running properly if you can login and save settings. Does your client bridge router appear to be connecting at all? The blinking radio indicator light could be saying the router is waiting to connect to the existing wireless network but for some reason probably due to an incorrect password, wireless security protocol, incorrect ssid, or something else it cannot connect properly.

I used the dd-wrt client bridge howto as an example to configure my wndr3400 for client bridge: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
DarrylLicke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
SyberT wrote:
DarrylLicke wrote:

Hmm. I presume your dd-wrt is running properly if you can login and save settings. Does your client bridge router appear to be connecting at all? The blinking radio indicator light could be saying the router is waiting to connect to the existing wireless network but for some reason probably due to an incorrect password, wireless security protocol, incorrect ssid, or something else it cannot connect properly.

I used the dd-wrt client bridge howto as an example to configure my wndr3400 for client bridge: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

Thank you very much. I followed those exactly and now I have wireless internet. It may need tweaking for speed but it's connected.
galaxytaxi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
All, newb here, just tried to flash with dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k.bin and it appears to have bricked my device. However I did a bunch of troubleshooting and I'm at a point where I'm ready to TFTP but I want to make sure of a few things.

1. When I changed my computer IP to 192.168.1.1, subnet to 255.255.255.0, and router to 192.168.1.1, I am able to get a TTL=64 response when I ping the router:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Is this a good thing?

2. When I change my computer IP to 192.168.1.10, subnet to 255.255.255.0 and router to 192.168.1.1, I get 'host unreachable' when I ping the router.

What does this mean? Can I tftp if this is the case?

3. Does it matter which 'mini' and 'big combination I use? I used a mini package of dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400.chk and was able to get the dd-wrt control panel, it was only when I attempted to load the 'big' bin above did it give me an issue.

4. 30-30-30 reset didn't resolve my current issue, right now when I do a reset, I get the ping as stated in point 2, however the power light stays amber, and only plugged in connections light up (i.e. lan and connect computer port both stay amber).

I feel as though I can recover here with a proper tftp of dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k.bin, but I want to confirm. Thoughts?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
galaxytaxi wrote:
All, newb here, just tried to flash with dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k.bin and it appears to have bricked my device. However I did a bunch of troubleshooting and I'm at a point where I'm ready to TFTP but I want to make sure of a few things.?

Read the peacock announcement carefully. Then tftp the trailed version of the firmware that you originally flashed.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mbze430
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone try using 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko on the WNDR3400?
IAmWEC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
mbze430 wrote:

Yeah, I bricked it. There were several reports on another website of people bricking their routers as well doing it. I've heard only one successfully getting it to work so I guess your mileage may vary.
mbze430
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, my *sorta* works. Everything is fine except my 2.4ghz NG-Mixed and N-Only is has REALLY slow speeds. No more than 3MB/sec.

I am about to do a 30/30/30 and go back to the Netgear firmware and test the 2.4ghz band again. If everything seems ok with the 2.4ghz with the Netgear, I'll go back to the DD-WRT upgrade path and see how it works.

Will report back as soon as I get something

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashed back to Netgear's 1.0.0.50 won't even go to 40mhz. stuck on 20mhz. will only connect at 54mbits. Still only getting 2.8MB/sec-3MB/sec.

**Starting to think there is a problem with my WNDR3400
SyberT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
IAmWEC wrote:
mbze430 wrote:

Yeah, I bricked it. There were several reports on another website of people bricking their routers as well doing it. I've heard only one successfully getting it to work so I guess your mileage may vary.

I'm running 18946M (big) on mine. Something went wrong the first time through so I had to use the usb-serial cable to revive the router. Second time went through fine. Not sure what happened.
DarrylLicke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did anyone lose their settings when they turned off their computer? I got the client bridge working, turned off the computer, returned a few days later and now it's behaving like it's bricked/not recognizing any of the IPs I put into the browser/not attaching to the network. Shouldn't it automatically attach it to the network if the bridge is functioning correctly?
Rainz3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had 17990M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko mega build installed for a while now and every thing is going great but I wanted to install some scripts and what not on the JFFS2 partition of the router but realized with the mega build it leaves no room on the router to do so. After doing about an hour or 2 worth of research I came to the conclusion I need to install the mini or standard build since I don't really need half the features on the mega build. I found the file I thought I needed dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400.chk did 30-30-30 reset
opened router 192.168.1.1 under admin and upgrade firmware
selected reset settings to default choose the file and hit upgrade

After a few minutes it finally said it was succesful, I did another 30-30-30 like the peacock thread stated and was able to log back into my router only to find out it was still the mega build. I have tried 3 computers and 2 browsers and about 3 or 4 builds including stock firmware but I can not for the life of me get the mega build to go away. I have been at this since 9am and I am sure I'm just missing some small key detail. I've just spent the last 31/2 hours doing nothing but reading and searching on the forums but just can not for the life of me figure this out. Anyone else mind lending a hand? Thanks in advance!

one last question if it is impossible to revert to mini or standard or anything but mega is it possible to run pixleserv or anything to that effect from a usb drive connected to the router? If it is possible which I am doing more research into now then that would pretty much resolve my issues as I wouldnt need to go back to a smaller build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 20 of 24
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: