GURU's Netgear wndr 3400 update - test build page 7

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Rock.Theory
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't used my WNDR3400_CVNA in a long time. I saw dd-wrt firmware for it and figured I could use an extra access point, so I plugged it in but it automatically updated to the ridiculous new firmware that only allows management via router.optimum.net (I cannot access 192.168.1.1 due to auto routing to router.optimum.net). This obviously does not permit me to upload custom firmware and after calling Cablevision I found out there's no way to revert or change my firmware, even from their end.

Might anyone know of a way to get around this? I hate the limited options and applications of their cheesy firmware, and I'd really love to add another dd-wrt device to my network.

Thanks
Sponsor
SirWise23
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 22:53    Post subject: Help With Cablevision WNDR3400 Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

New here. I just switched to Cablevision and they gave me a new router. I wanted to connect this one to my current N900 router but I can't get passed the crappy custom Firmware they have on it.

I have done TFTP before with no issue but I just can't seem to do it to this router? Is it protected somehow? Is there any way to force this router to use the standard netgear firmware?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 0:12    Post subject: Re: Help With Cablevision WNDR3400 Reply with quote
SirWise23 wrote:
Hi everyone,

New here. I just switched to Cablevision and they gave me a new router. I wanted to connect this one to my current N900 router but I can't get passed the crappy custom Firmware they have on it.

I have done TFTP before with no issue but I just can't seem to do it to this router? Is it protected somehow? Is there any way to force this router to use the standard netgear firmware?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3400

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 13:56    Post subject: Re: Help With Cablevision WNDR3400 Reply with quote
SirWise23 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Having the same issues. There is no option to upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT from within the optimum firmware and I could not TFT to the router, even after 30/30/30 reset. Thoughts anyone?
jnozsc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
same issue here. optimum is evil. We can not pass that firmware. Need help
JNavas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best build from my own experience and research is 21676. PPTP and SSH work.
However, upgrading to 21676 Big will brick this router! Use 21676 Mega instead.

UPDATE: 21676 Mega has the Heartbleed vulnerability. Use Mini instead.

Last edited by JNavas on Sat Apr 26, 2014 16:48; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone tried to burn the board id from a wndr3400 onto a wndr3400 cvna?
I'm curious if it would work and then accept stock netgear fw.
I did it with a netgear r4500 to turn it into a wndr4500.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 19:54    Post subject: cvna wndr 3400 Reply with quote
I just received a wndr 3400 from cablevision, and i will like to get dd-wrt on it. I have tried tftp to no avail, 30-30-30 then tftp while ttl=100, absolutely no luck. Optimum's interface only has about 5 settings available to the user, so no upload option. Is there anyway i can get ddwrt on this thing? where do i connect a serial cable to if that's the only option i have?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 20:11    Post subject: Re: cvna wndr 3400 Reply with quote
waingr0 wrote:
I just received a wndr 3400 from cablevision, and i will like to get dd-wrt on it. I have tried tftp to no avail, 30-30-30 then tftp while ttl=100, absolutely no luck. Optimum's interface only has about 5 settings available to the user, so no upload option. Is there anyway i can get ddwrt on this thing? where do i connect a serial cable to if that's the only option i have?

I had a cablevision unit I flashed using this fle. ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400_CVNA.chk

I flashed it using tftp2.exe.

Plug it int your pc while the router is off. Set a static ip on your pc. Then set a continous ping 192.168.1.1 -t. Hold in the reset button while powering up the router. When you get a ping response or flashing power light upload the above firmware.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:03    Post subject: Re: cvna wndr 3400 Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
waingr0 wrote:

I had a cablevision unit I flashed using this fle. ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400_CVNA.chk

I flashed it using tftp2.exe.

Plug it int your pc while the router is off. Set a static ip on your pc. Then set a continous ping 192.168.1.1 -t. Hold in the reset button while powering up the router. When you get a ping response or flashing power light upload the above firmware.

I just tried, and it's not working. Maybe the new firmware blocks tftp? can i flash with serial cable?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can try.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 15:42    Post subject: WNDR3400 CVNA Reply with quote
Hi there, I'm a first time poster but a long time DD-WRT user.

I just got a new Netgear WNDR3400 router from Cablevision/Optimum Online here in the Bronx (NYC). It has Cablevision's firmware on it, which is crap to begin with but is also a huge security concern. They would have too much control to poke around my network and open back doors, so I'm using another (DD-WRT flashed) router in its place.

I want to make this WNDR3400 CVNA router into a nice access point.

It's a WNDR3400, but there is no interface on Optimum's firmware to upload new firmware. I can't use TFTP to flash WW-DRT onto it. Putting it into recovery mode does not make it accessible on the 192.168.1.x network, at least not that I can tell. I think that they changed how you can flash this router. I'd sooner brick this router than connect it to my network with that firmware, so I'm looking for help on flashing this thing with DD-WRT.

JNAVAS, you mentioned that PPTP and SSH work. I'm actively researching alternative methods for installing DD-WRT, but I can't find anything other than using TFTP. I've gone to http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3400, but it was of little help so far (am I going to have to use the pin short method?).

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated. I want to crack this router.
pdrpagan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
UPDATE: A pin short worked to rid my WNDR3400 CVNA of Cablevision's grasp.

I say grasp and not firmware because I don't think the CVNA routers actually have custom cablevision firmware. I say this because I did the pin short, flashed Netgear's stock firmware, and loaded 192.168.1.1. Guess what. Took me right to cablevision's interface. I figured I should just try flashing it with WW-WRT right from the pin short (what did I have to lose?), and behold, it worked.

So, pin short->flash mini DD-WRT Firmware with TFTP2 -> 30/30/30 reset -> upgrade to 21676 mega through mini's interface -> 30/30/30 reset -> done.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3400 - DD-WRT page for WNDR3400's. It has the link to the mini firmware needed for cablevision branded routers, and also the 21676 mega build under the "BUILD NOTES" heading (DON'T use the mega build listed under "DD-WRT Installation" heading. It failed for me). Make sure to install mini before the mega!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153763 - Instructions on how to pin short (there's a black arrow on the bottom of the large picture pointing to the two pins you need to short).
hoot_spoot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 17:40    Post subject: latest stable version with wireless Reply with quote
The latest stable version with functional wireless that I got working on a WNDR3400v1 was

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-nv64k.bin

Mega may work, I didn't try it (only need the wireless working for now).

All the newer versions either bricked (K3x) or had no wireless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
i managed to flash a new firmware to the cablevision wndr3500 with the pin short method. easy as pie.

interesting to note: the recessed factory reset button wasn't clicking on my router. this caused me to push too hard, which busted the button apart. i reassembled the button, but couldn't find the piece that would close the circuit. maybe i lost it, maybe there never was one.

it would be pretty funny if the only actual difference is they installed a disabled reset button. if that's the case, you could get into tftp by shorting the two pins on the factory reset button as per the standard tftp instructions.

maybe someone else can confirm or refute this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 23 of 24
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: