Cisco Valet M10 (ver1) test firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
coda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 16:58    Post subject: Re: M10 DD-WRT, More Info Reply with quote
prince_of_hackers wrote:
I recently acquired a large number of M10 routers, and of course, immediately looked to determine if they could run DD-WRT.

The information I found has been rather unclear and sometime appears contradictory, so I will try to summarize my findings in this post.

First thing I found is that searching the router database indicated the router is NOT supported by DD-WRT. However, the wiki indicates it is a WIP with an official stable release to made available in the near future, however, the information on the wiki has not been updated in some time.

I was rather surprised to find the firmware attached to the first post in this thread for the M10, but was a little concerned with how dated it was. (over a year old) However, I was even more surprised when I looked at the DD-WRT ftp site to discover that apparently Eko has been producing builds supporting the M10 and M20 routers for quite awhile, and several people have reported success in using them.

I plan to try installing one of these builds on an M10 later tonight, and will post with my results.

However, there is some information which despite my looking, I have been unable to find any reliable source of information.

First is wireless chipset information. In the past I was able to find a great deal of detailed information on the specification of the Broadcom wireless chips in some of the other Linksys router, for example, the E2000, explaining how they are built and what kind of wireless performance you can expect from them, however, I have been unable to find any information for this for either the M10 or it's hardware twin the E1000.

Also, I have been unable to find any information about HOW to actually apply the M10 build - most of the routers I have flashed in the past with DD-WRT have required special initial flashing before applying the final version of DD-WRT, however, I have been unable to find any such information for the M10. Most of the information I have found showing recommended builds and such in such places as the peacock thread appear to be quite dated and probably not apply anymore.

In any case, if anyone has any more information or any thoughts on any of this I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

Yeah, it's for all of these reasons that I haven't flashed mine yet. There's nothing official except this thread and it's vague at best. Especially when you have people towards the end of the thread reporting problems with the router in repeater mode which is why I would flash it in the first place.

I would really like to see some updated wiki docs and/or official support added to the router database. This thread seems to be ignored.
Sponsor
prince_of_hackers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 21:47    Post subject: Flashed Successfully Reply with quote
Sorry for the delay in getting my results up here, had a lot of homework to get done.

Anyhow, once I decided flashing the M10 was definitely the way I wanted to go, the big question was what version to flash.

After reading the peacock thread and the recommended build threads, the big problem was that the recommended most stable versions 14929 and 15230 aren't available for the M10 at all.

Also, many of the newest builds (17xxx) don't have an M10 version either.

I ended up choosing build 15962 as being as close as I could get to the recommended most stable builds without going backwards.

Even though the router was fresh out of the box, I did a 30-30-30 reset just to be safe. I then logged into the GUI from Firefox on a Linux laptop, and loaded the firmware through the web GUI upgrade.

The upgrade took successfully and I then did another 30-30-30 to make sure everything was correct.

Everything seems to be working, although due to the homework issue, I have been unable to do any detailed testing, so I don't know if the repeater issue or any other issues are present yet or not. I will post again once I do some more detailed testing.
prince_of_hackers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 22:23    Post subject: Multiple SSID/Repeater Mode Not Working on M10 Reply with quote
Tried multi-SSID and repeater modes earlier, repeater bridge bridges the wired ports but the wireless part does not work.

I'm going to try the same setup on a different model of router just in case I'm doing something wrong, but at this point, it appears that the earlier posts were correct that repeater mode is NOT working on the M10.
linuxdude2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
anthonymo wrote:
Alright after reading some of the test build threads I just took a big breath and put the std-nokaid-small NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko build onto my M10, it worked like a charm, no problem, so anybody wondering... GO for it.

Thanks!!
I'm going to flash nokaid now!

EDIT: I flashed the file attached to the first post
30/30/30 reset
Then flashed: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/12-24-10-r15962/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-15962_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin
30/30/30 reset

Works fine

EDIT 2:

This also works to turn the led from yellow to blue:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64330
prince_of_hackers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 23:40    Post subject: Bridge Mode Working? Reply with quote
PCFreak2 wrote:
Thanks!!
I'm going to flash nokaid now!

EDIT: I flashed the file attached to the first post
30/30/30 reset
Then flashed: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/12-24-10-r15962/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-15962_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin
30/30/30 reset

Works fine

EDIT 2:

This also works to turn the led from yellow to blue:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64330

Glad to see this is working for you. Did you by any chance try any of the repeater functions with the non-M10 trailed build? I am trying to determine at this point if the repeater problem is due to a software bug or a hardware problem with the M10 itself.

The problem only seems to manifest itself when trying to bridge the two wireless connections, when one is running as an AP and the other as a client. Multiple SSID's in AP mode works fine, wireless to wired bridging and wireless client modes work fine too.

I read somewhere that certain chipsets might have a problem with this type of thing, but the article (can't seem to find it again for reference) seemed to indicate this was only a problem with very old chipsets, far older than what is in the M10.

I also tried some of the workarounds for a possible MAC addressing issue from the forums, but no results.
seminole30
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 23:13    Post subject: Cisco Valet M10 (ver1) test firmware Reply with quote
Hi,

I just brought the M10 at Walmart. The hardware version was 1.0. I upgraded the router to Ver.2.0.03 (build 4)from Cisco's site. I then upgraded the router to dd-wrt.v24-15257_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m10.bin. It took without problems. I found a new firmware dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin; I upgraded to that firmware without problems. So far the router was been rock stable without any issues.

Each time before and after an upgrade I did the 30/30/30 reset. Remember to do this!

Great firmware, much better then the Cisco firmware!
linuxdude2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:53    Post subject: Re: Cisco Valet M10 (ver1) test firmware Reply with quote
seminole30 wrote:
Hi,

I just brought the M10 at Walmart. The hardware version was 1.0. I upgraded the router to Ver.2.0.03 (build 4)from Cisco's site. I then upgraded the router to dd-wrt.v24-15257_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m10.bin. It took without problems. I found a new firmware dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin; I upgraded to that firmware without problems. So far the router was been rock stable without any issues.

Each time before and after an upgrade I did the 30/30/30 reset. Remember to do this!

Great firmware, much better then the Cisco firmware!

Cool

Would you prefer 17990 over the 15xxx builds??
seminole30
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:06    Post subject: Re: Cisco Valet M10 (ver1) test firmware Reply with quote
Yes, I prefer the 17990. It seems more stable and fast with my Internet, PS3, Xbox, and VoIP. I look forward to later builds.
linuxdude2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 14:30    Post subject: Re: Cisco Valet M10 (ver1) test firmware Reply with quote
Screenshot of dd-wrt.v24-15962_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin:

Hairybarrier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:45    Post subject: Still not working in repeater mode Reply with quote
I had some hope for the 17990 version that was just pushed out a few days ago, but I still can't get connected to the repeater via wireless. Wired still works, but the wireless shows up and with a 'Signal Strength:No Signal'. I backed it up and did a 30:30:30 before the update. I mucked around with some of the settings and then returned them all to the default. It works as far as wiring my TV and my WD player to the internet, but I wanted to use it as a AP for guests to connect to without giving them my SSID or key. Anyone able to figure this out?
systemlordanubis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:06    Post subject: Tested with IPv6 Reply with quote
Hi All,

Just tested my Cisco/Linksys Valet M10 (v1.0) with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/10) std-nokaid-small and it's up and running no problems.

With a few script mods (below) I've got native IPv6 enabled for wireless and eth clients.

Admin > Management > IPv6 Support
IPv6 = Enable
Radvd = Enable
Radvd config:

Code:

interface br0 {
AdvSendAdvert on;
prefix ABCD:ABCD:1000:1::/64 {
AdvOnLink on;
AdvAutonomous on;
AdvRouterAddr on;
};
};

Replace the "ABCD:ABCD:1000:1::/64" with your own /64 subnet for the client side of the network.

Save the settings.

Then in:

Admin > Commands:

Put the below as the start-up script.

Code:

sleep 5
ip addr add ABCD:ABCD:0:1::5/64 dev vlan2
ip addr add ABCD:ABCD:1000:1::1/64 dev br0
ip -6 route add 0::/0 via ABCD:ABCD:0:1::1 dev vlan2
kill -HUP $(cat /var/run/radvd.pid)
radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf

Replace the ABCD:ABCD:0:1::5/64 with the IP address for your WAN interface (in the Valet's your wan is vlan2 not vlan1 as most others).

Replace ABCD:ABCD:1000:1::1/64 with the IP for your LAN interface.

Replace ABCD:ABCD:0:1::1 with the IP of the default gateway on the WAN interface.

Save that as a 'Start Up Script', then reboot your router. Your clients should now have IPv6 enabled.

Important: There isn't any IPv6 firewall in this small build, so clients will need to be wary and have their own PC's firewall enabled. There also isn't anywhere to configure IPv6 DNS's (it needs another DHCP module for that) so your IPv4 dns's need to also be able to resolve v6 addresses for you.

Good luck.
Anubis.
vulnerability
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 22:48    Post subject: Update: Jan 07 2012 on Valet M10 v1 Reply with quote
Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for years without signing up.

A lot of my canadian friends might start seeing these on sale here. (M10 V1)

Just F.Y.I

I bought 4 of these locally and tested them..

For VPN I flashed with:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17990/dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin

No issues on the M10v1 with the small openvpn bin.
All lights work and everything seems alright.
The .BIN loaded fine, but I havent tried openvpn YET.

As for the standard mini bin, I've flashed with:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17598/dd-wrt.v24-17598_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin

No issues with this one. All is well. Repeater/client bridge works without issues.

BTW. They are on sale (version1) in the Greater Toronto area for about 20$ right now...

Thanks to everyone in the thread for helping out!
bloodfalls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
bought a refurb cisco valet m10 from canada computers for $20, but it is a v2. was hoping for a v1 to run dd-wrt.

it even came with a 1 gb usb drive, the easy setup key.
vulnerability
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ask to open it up before you buy it.

My M10's had nothing indicating it's V1 or V2..

2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.28 KB
 Viewed:  33534 Time(s)

2.JPG

New Image.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  275.63 KB
 Viewed:  33534 Time(s)

New Image.JPG

bloodfalls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea my box is the same, but the serial starts with CVJ11K.

lol... "valeta" on your box. mine is spelled correctly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: