Cisco Valet M10 (ver1) test firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
linuxdude2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
vulnerability wrote:
Ask to open it up before you buy it.

My M10's had nothing indicating it's V1 or V2..

It's a V1
It's flashable with DD-WRT

Flash your M10 v1 with this:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-20-11-r18024/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m10.bin
Sponsor
justanotherguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having stability issues with 18767 as well. Configuration here is repeater bridge using WPA2 Pers. AES on both repeated and provided signals [same key]. No extra fancy configuration: everything else pretty basic. 4 wireless clients are under the repeater coverage and after a while [few hours] all clients under the repeater loose their Wifi connection. Apparently the Valet M10 "lost" the virtual interface servicing clients but I still can ping the M10 via the repeater interface, from other clients from the main AP: It seems the M10 interface toward the main AP is up but the M10 interface toward the clients is down... the only way to recover from this fault is a unplug/wait 10 sec./plug. Often a reboot from the HTML interface won't do it.

This problem is also present with 18024 build. I have tested with *_M10 builds and also the generic *_mini builds but same behavior.

Anyone has a recommended stable build for plain repeater configs?
Thanks!
m-p{3}
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been trying to get into management mode for almost an hour with the standard hard reset (30/30/30) procedure without luck.

Anyone else encountered that issue? :/
justanotherguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having stability issues with 18767 as well. Configuration here is repeater bridge using WPA2 Pers. AES on both repeated and provided signals [same key]. No extra fancy configuration: everything else pretty basic. 4 wireless clients are under the repeater coverage and after a while [few hours] all clients under the repeater loose their Wifi connection. Apparently the Valet M10 "lost" the virtual interface servicing clients but I still can ping the M10 via the repeater interface, from other clients from the main AP: It seems the M10 interface toward the main AP is up but the M10 interface toward the clients is down... the only way to recover from this fault is a unplug/wait 10 sec./plug. Often a reboot from the HTML interface won't do it.

This problem is also present with 18024 build. I have tested with *_M10 builds and also the generic *_mini builds but same behavior.

Anyone has a recommended stable build for plain repeater configs?
Thanks![/quote]
K26 builds are known to have many problems with repeater/repeater bridge
I would recommend first trying power cycle
30-30-30 reset
Power cycle
And try it again

Otherwise, if you want a good repeater/repeater bridge, get a K24 router[/quote]

UPDATE: I have tried a few builds up to now and one has proven to be much better than all what I've tried so far: EKO build 18946

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m10.bin

It has been running for 4 days now , in plain vanilla repeater bridge, and crashed only once and self recovered compared with other builds crashing every 2-3 hours and did not self recover. So for all you repeater guys out there , it might be worth to give a try to EKO 18946.

Thanks everyone for all the support. Without this thread I would not have been able to flash my M10, it was of great value.
qweqweqew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having problems with the repeater bridge setting on M10 running 18946. I'm able to get the repeater bridge working if I disable the security on the primary router.However, the M10(repeater bridge) can't connect to the primary router if the primary router uses either WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK (only tried these two security modes). Anyone knows how to fix this problem? 100% sure that the password and the security type match.
linuxdude2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
qweqweqew wrote:
Having problems with the repeater bridge setting on M10 running 18946. I'm able to get the repeater bridge working if I disable the security on the primary router.However, the M10(repeater bridge) can't connect to the primary router if the primary router uses either WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK (only tried these two security modes). Anyone knows how to fix this problem? 100% sure that the password and the security type match.

Repeater and Repeater Bridge have many unsolved problems on K26 builds, sorry.

KingPin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
on my m10 v1 im using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) std-nokaid-small (SVN revision 19342) and not noticing any issues so far. dont know if any of you are feeling brave but just wanted to throw that out there Smile

P.S. I started off using the standard procedure mentioned in this thread and followed this route :

30/30/30
flash 18946 mini
wait a few minutes
30/30/30
flash 18946 std nokaid small
wait a few minutes
30/30/30
a day or so later get all antsy and wonder what happens when we try the latest!
30/30/30
flash 19342 std nokaid small
wait a few minutes
30/30/30
?????
yay working well!

I waited this long to see if anything obviously broken popped up but so far nothing so i figured 1 month was long enough of a test to post Smile so far its working well but I dunno maybe I just dont know if anything is working wrong because this is the first time I have ever used dd-wrt and I just dont know what broken is Smile
justanotherguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
justanotherguy wrote:

UPDATE: I have tried a few builds up to now and one has proven to be much better than all what I've tried so far: EKO build 18946

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m10.bin

It has been running for 4 days now , in plain vanilla repeater bridge, and crashed only once and self recovered compared with other builds crashing every 2-3 hours and did not self recover. So for all you repeater guys out there , it might be worth to give a try to EKO 18946.

Thanks everyone for all the support. Without this thread I would not have been able to flash my M10, it was of great value.

===========
UPDATE 2:
===========

So before writing this update I wanted to make sure the system was stable, and it has been the case for almost 2 weeks time now so I am confident about this update. The previous update did not work well after all for me again, after 2-3 days the wireless clients under the repeater bridge started to loose the Wifi signal...

I found out that repeater bridge can have limitations/problems when more than one wireless client device (PC/laptop) is connected under the repeater bridge. The recommendation in this case is to use WDS instead of repeater bridge. WDS also has the advantage of not translating MAC addresses and is the recommended way when many clients are connecting to the repeater bridge (probably eases DHCP as well..). Here is the link where you can find the limitation and recommendations:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons

WDS step-by-step configuration are a few clicks away from the above link.

It has been working for more than 2 week without a single interruption (that I am aware of..) and system uptime confirms.

I am using build BS 18767 which can be found here:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/03-08-12-r18767/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-18767_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m10.bin

WDS is enabled, with same SSID, Same encryption (WPA2/AES) between main AP and WDS M10 client and I followed the step-by-step instructions.
Note: WDS requires some config on both the main AP and the repeater bridge, so this solution only works well when you have access to both AP's. Apparently, WDS is not standardized among vendors but in my case, the main AP (linksys E2000) is also running DD-WRT on the recommended build, so perfect for me.
So there is hope for extending wireless network with the Valet M10! Hopefully, it can help a few people that were in the same situation than me.
justanotherguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
qweqweqew wrote:

If you have access to the main AP, you can try using WDS instead of Repeater Bridge. Please check for compatibility tests between DD-WRT and you AP. You can find the list here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=WDS_Linked_router_network&diff=prev&oldid=40906

It worked for me and is stable but my main AP is also running DDWRT. Please see my other post a few minutes ago. Good luck.
foolmelon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have following running on M10 v1 and it is configured as repeater bridge.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin

The main router is a 2Wire gateway. After M10 reboots, everything works fine. But just in a few minutes, computer connected to M10 cannot ping main router anymore. It seems M10 lost the connection to the main router. Any suggestions? Should I try a different build?
foolmelon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
foolmelon wrote:
I have following running on M10 v1 and it is configured as repeater bridge.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin

The main router is a 2Wire gateway. After M10 reboots, everything works fine. But just in a few minutes, computer connected to M10 cannot ping main router anymore. It seems M10 lost the connection to the main router. Any suggestions? Should I try a different build?

After tried various versions of dd-wrt and many frustrations, I finally flashed with Tomato on Valet M10 v1. It is much more stable now.
jphccfc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have switched from ddwrt to tomato but am having no success getting it to extend my wireless network. I had some success using ddwt so want to revert back. The problem is when I try and flash the ddwrt firmware I get an error file has invalid header. I have read that I need to modify then binary header but am unsure how to do that or what software to use.

Has someone either got:-

Stock firmware (v1 that I can download that will enable me to flash back without having the file invalid header error (the one on the Linksys site has v2 firmware and I assume I don't want to go to that version as it will no longer be flash able?)

The know how to modify the header on the ddwrt firmware so I can update then reflash.

Or a version of ddwrt firmware that has the valid header so I can download.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
revrenc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
jphccfc wrote:
I have switched from ddwrt to tomato but am having no success getting it to extend my wireless network. I had some success using ddwt so want to revert back. The problem is when I try and flash the ddwrt firmware I get an error file has invalid header. I have read that I need to modify then binary header but am unsure how to do that or what software to use.

Has someone either got:-

Stock firmware (v1 that I can download that will enable me to flash back without having the file invalid header error (the one on the Linksys site has v2 firmware and I assume I don't want to go to that version as it will no longer be flash able?)

The know how to modify the header on the ddwrt firmware so I can update then reflash.

Or a version of ddwrt firmware that has the valid header so I can download.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

here should b the link to the latest firmware

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/valet/M10

hope it helps i dont know how to modify the other stuff
jphccfc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply I have checked the site for the original firmware my concern is that ita states its version 2 and apparently version 2 of the m10 is not upgradable to ddwrt so I am concerned if I upgrade that firmware I will be left unable to upgrade again to ddwrt
revrenc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
jphccfc wrote:
Thanks for the reply I have checked the site for the original firmware my concern is that ita states its version 2 and apparently version 2 of the m10 is not upgradable to ddwrt so I am concerned if I upgrade that firmware I will be left unable to upgrade again to ddwrt

go to downloads section there is a drop down menu where you can choose your hardware version, which in your case would be version one, the most up to date version of the firmware is Ver.2.0.03 (build 4), this is the exact same website and exact same version that i have used to go back and forth several times as i also have an m10 v1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: