Linksys E1000 now supported (V.1 ONLY!)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Norinion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:31    Post subject: Repeater Bridge Not Properly Working Reply with quote
Hi,

Basic: I managed to get the repeating working properly for just wired connections, but the wireless is still (after a while able to connect but) unable to connect to the internet. (and yes I followed the instructions thoroughly, even with the "Wireless Clients have no Internet" help)

Info: I am using a
- Tenda w268r (not under DD-wrt) as a PPPoE connecting to the modem/internet with the IP address set to 192.168.1.1
- Cisco-linksys E1000 V.1 as a repeater-bridge router
- E1000 flashed with: "dd-wrt.v24-18687_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small"
- Followed instructions on http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge (with the linksys fix)

Additional Information:
- Using an Ethernet connection to the E1000 I am able to access the internet, and access both the router's web interface (192.168.1.1/Tenda and 192.168.1.2/E1000)
- Using Wifi (connected to the E1000), I am unable to access the internet and only able to access the E1000's web interface.
- All my settings are based on the instructions in the link mentioned above.

Basic Question: How can I get the wireless working on the E1000?

Odd (un)related questions:
- Does the Tenda have to enable WDS for this to work? (unsure because wired connections work)
- Does it matter if the channel bandwidths are 20 or 20/40?

Thanks so much in advance.

Edit:
1- Analyzing (after connecting to) the E1000's failed wireless connection using my iPhone/Computer, I found that I get assigned the same IP, subnet, gateway, and DNS as if I was connected to the Tenda's Wifi, but still unable to connect to the internet.
Sponsor
Crewski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
With the std nokaid small builds....I can't get port triggering to work. If I add more than two ports, when I hit apply setting I get an error and can't get back into the router for a minute or two. Any ideas?
narddawg314
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 0:24    Post subject: n00b question Reply with quote
my buddy just bought one of these routers after I told him they were good. the one he got has dd-wrt firmware loaded on it and I'm not sure how to get it to connect to his modem. Should I just disable f/w, and wifi then run cat5 cables from the laptop to the router and then cat5 to the modem. after that just issue an ipconfig from the command prompt? I've looked around and can't find a general troubleshooting section, but that probably just means I didn't google good probably. Any help is appreciated Smile
Fret44
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I successfully flashed my E1000 V.1 with the build version from early on this thread.

Everything seems to work just fine, but it's unclear to me whether I should upgrade to another build. And if I should upgrade, it's unclear to me which build I want.

I've looked around but I can't find a simple answer. And I've also seen people with E1000's who are bricking their routers because they're putting on incompatible builds.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

What's the best build for an E1000 V.1?

Thank you!
Sieva
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 18:21    Post subject: e1000v1 wanderings Reply with quote
Edited 4 Nov 2012:

My attempt at a more complete explanation about builds available for E1000 (models M10 and WRT160N V3.0 are identical hardware, so this applies to them too.)

barryware wrote:

[To My Knowledge]... as long as the build number is above the 1st posted build, it should be OK. Take note of the files size though. Some of the std builds are too large for a 4mb router.

This device has a 4MB flash capacity.
nvram size is 32KB...

• Must flash the 15279 build first, before updating to later dd-wrt versions.

• Must be an SVN revision build later (larger) than 15279 (the first supported build for e1000 that you flashed from the stock FW.)

• Must be a .bin smaller than 3801088 bytes (3,712Kb, 3.625Mb)

• Must be using K26 (Linux Kernel 2.6)

• Must be using NEWD-2 (2nd New wireless Driver)

• Must be a build meant for 32Kb nvram size (some builds are optimized for larger sizes, noted in the filename like nv60k, which wouldn't work for e1000.)

• Must NOT be a Micro build. Mini is obviously okay, and some standard builds appear to work. I have not tested them yet.

Suggested:
  • contain e1000v1 in the name. This is moreso on the safe side, since there may be builds not explicitly for this hardware that might work, but who wants to experiment with their nice new shiny router? Meh, at this point it's likely its not very new, e1000 isn't sold new anymore, and OEM refurbs are $30.

• mini version, not required but suggested as it's more likely to be small enough. (contains all the features of the standard distribution, with the exception of chillispot, nocat, rflow, kaid, CIFS client, SNMP, IPv6, and MMC/SD card support.)

Anyway, given all this, the latest build I've found explicitly for this device is

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) mini
(SVN revision 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko)
ftp posted April 07 2012

I just flashed last night, got it configured for what I use it for... nothing special really, n-band wireless and a virtual wlan guest network for openwireless.org. I haven't seen any connectivity issues so far, seems safe to say it's the best thing out for e1000 right now.

This build is NOT FOR INITIAL FLASHING. Use the one in the first post of this thread, then upgrade to this one.

When upgrading, or doing anything flash-related, it's best to read everything in the peacock thread. again. Hard reset 30/30/30, make sure it's default settings, don't import a settings bin from an old build, etc etc etc.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/ dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v1.bin

There are some other builds in that same ftp directory (for the same svn version) that have various other mods enabled, which will probably work with the E1000... just follow the requirements above.

These buids appears to work with our device according to the rules I've gathered above, but I haven't tested them, caveat emptor or whatever. I might test these out, I'll edit this post again later if I get around to it.

Standard build, no Kai Daemon (xbox):
[*]dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin

Adds Open-VPN daemon/client mod:
[*]dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin

Last edited by Sieva on Wed Nov 21, 2012 17:12; edited 1 time in total
ruckstande
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for that. This is currently what I am running on two routers. My only issue is that my droid and possible my wife's drop the wifi signal constantly and reconnected. I don't know how else to fix it.
Sieva
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's a whole host of issues possible here:

• wifi is a pretty unstable medium to begin with. Obstructions in the physical environment can cause poor signal, e.g. walls, competing radio transmissions, etc. (get the android app 'wifi analyzer' to check which wifi channel is least disturbed in your location)

• The e1000 hardware isn't enterprise-grade. limitations exist, you get what you pay for.

• individual units of the same model have minute differences due to variation of manufacturing at the factory that can cause anything from a DOA device to power-draw issues, etc etc

as far as the software level:

• this and all other builds are all provided as-is, being FLOSS, and all.... it's certainly possible for dd-wrt to have bugs, it's a community project in constant development, and rarely has specified focus to perfect a single piece of hardware.

i've read a few things around the forums/ wiki that seem to help:

• try using WPA2 personal (not WPA/WPA2 mixed) with AES encryption (not TKIP/AES mixed) WPA2 + AES is the strongest, and most well-developed wifi configuration.

• LOWER the Transmit power! dd-wrt's default is set to 71, and these E-series devices have heat dispersal issues, which can make the wifi radios periodically stop transmission (im hoping this is a subroutine in dd-wrt to prevent melting the router, rather than the radio just giving up due to stress. ) 50mW works fine, I'm not trying to broadcast across the street. Apparently the e1000 is meant to run at that rate anyway, see below.

• If you need to extend the range of your signal, this is not the router you're looking for. look for one with external high gain antennas, or at least an adapter to add one.

• there's some other settings to help wifi dropouts on the e2000 wiki, which i used and they seem to help.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000#Some_useful_tips

• Last but not least, don't toggle settings in dd-wrt that you're not absolutely sure are going to improve your setup... unless you want to spend the time experimenting with toggling a single setting on for a few days and watching the results. There are caveats for basically every setting on dd-wrt, which may or may not apply to your environment.

in addition, your android may be the part of the problem as well.

• custom ROMs sometimes misconfigure the wifi. unless it's a stock ROM or has a credible seal of approval like officlal Cyanogen, you're at the whim of the developer. even then, bugs are possible, if not inevitable.

• consider giving your android's wifi mac address a static DHCP lease on the router. this *might* help connectivity, but will certainly aide your battery by reducing authentication Tx/Rx packets.

• there's an advanced setting for 'wifi idle timeout' that may or may not have a settings menu toggle on your rom. consider increasing the timeout period, at the expense of your battery life.
ruckstande
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sieva wrote:
There's a whole host of issues possible here:

• wifi is a pretty unstable medium to begin with. Obstructions in the physical environment can cause poor signal, e.g. walls, competing radio transmissions, etc. (get the android app 'wifi analyzer' to check which wifi channel is least disturbed in your location)

• The e1000 hardware isn't enterprise-grade. limitations exist, you get what you pay for.

• individual units of the same model have minute differences due to variation of manufacturing at the factory that can cause anything from a DOA device to power-draw issues, etc etc

as far as the software level:

• this and all other builds are all provided as-is, being FLOSS, and all.... it's certainly possible for dd-wrt to have bugs, it's a community project in constant development, and rarely has specified focus to perfect a single piece of hardware.

i've read a few things around the forums/ wiki that seem to help:

• try using WPA2 personal (not WPA/WPA2 mixed) with AES encryption (not TKIP/AES mixed) WPA2 + AES is the strongest, and most well-developed wifi configuration.

• LOWER the Transmit power! dd-wrt's default is set to 71, and these E-series devices have heat dispersal issues, which can make the wifi radios periodically stop transmission (im hoping this is a subroutine in dd-wrt to prevent melting the router, rather than the radio just giving up due to stress. ) 50mW works fine, I'm not trying to broadcast across the street. Apparently the e1000 is meant to run at that rate anyway, see below.

• If you need to extend the range of your signal, this is not the router you're looking for. look for one with external high gain antennas, or at least an adapter to add one.

• there's some other settings to help wifi dropouts on the e2000 wiki, which i used and they seem to help.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000#Some_useful_tips

• Last but not least, don't toggle settings in dd-wrt that you're not absolutely sure are going to improve your setup... unless you want to spend the time experimenting with toggling a single setting on for a few days and watching the results. There are caveats for basically every setting on dd-wrt, which may or may not apply to your environment.

in addition, your android may be the part of the problem as well.

• custom ROMs sometimes misconfigure the wifi. unless it's a stock ROM or has a credible seal of approval like officlal Cyanogen, you're at the whim of the developer. even then, bugs are possible, if not inevitable.

• consider giving your android's wifi mac address a static DHCP lease on the router. this *might* help connectivity, but will certainly aide your battery by reducing authentication Tx/Rx packets.

• there's an advanced setting for 'wifi idle timeout' that may or may not have a settings menu toggle on your rom. consider increasing the timeout period, at the expense of your battery life.

Thank you. I've done most of these, there are a few I think I need to go over though. wifi is not trouble anywhere else I go, just on my routers. I'm running two with the second one hardwired to the other. The signal is crappy in my place but even in the same room the signal drops.
FatboyCykes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evenin'

dd-wrt baby here... Did my reading. Flashed my first router yesterday. Cisco E1000 V1 with dd-wrt.v24-15279_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000.bin. Everything seemed to be working fine except the WPS button. It doesn't work and it has an orange/amber light above it that is usually blue.

I'm very, very inexperienced when it comes to networking, let alone advanced dd-wrt. I'm sure it's something that I'm missing, but neither the search function here nor Google is being of any aide.

I'm fine w/o the WPS function but am concerned about it bricking in the future. The only shred of anything I found was something similar happening with the V2.1's and that seemed to be a common result, the router bricking weeks or months later.

I'm sorry if I'm missing the glaring answer somewhere but I'm at a loss.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
FatboyCykes wrote:
Evenin'

dd-wrt baby here... Did my reading. Flashed my first router yesterday. Cisco E1000 V1 with dd-wrt.v24-15279_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000.bin. Everything seemed to be working fine except the WPS button. It doesn't work and it has an orange/amber light above it that is usually blue.

I'm very, very inexperienced when it comes to networking, let alone advanced dd-wrt. I'm sure it's something that I'm missing, but neither the search function here nor Google is being of any aide.

I'm fine w/o the WPS function but am concerned about it bricking in the future. The only shred of anything I found was something similar happening with the V2.1's and that seemed to be a common result, the router bricking weeks or months later.

I'm sorry if I'm missing the glaring answer somewhere but I'm at a loss.

the wps button does not work like stock firmware. You can program it to do things like turning the radio on and off.

wps is a huge security risk.

in regard to the orange light, depending on how the router is configured it may mean different things. Typically, it means that the router has a wan connection.

you can change the color of the light if you would like:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64330

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
From the guru himself, no sarcasm intended. Many, many thanks.
Tweezak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just flashed dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v1.bin to my $5 Goodwill E1000 and set it up as a host to my repeater bridge (WRT54Gv2 on dd-wrt.v24-13491_VINT_std.bin).

So far everything seems fast. In particular the routers seem to hand out IP addresses to wifi devices very quickly which is a big improvement over everything I've tried before (stock/Tomato/other DDWRT).

Thanks to all the experts who are willing to develop and support these arcane models and take the time to document and explain it for people like me!
Sieva
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I knew there had to be something newer...

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/02-11-2013-r20675/broadcom_K26/ dd-wrt.v24-20675_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v1.bin

posted 2/11/2013

as well as openVPN && nokaid versions available. I'll note that the openvpn version of this SVN revision works properly.

Can the newer e1000 build be used to do the initial flash, since it's explicitly for this device?

Considering there's 4k on this box, I'm unsure if builds up to 4096KB are safe, considering it's rather unsafe to write to a partition all the way up to 100%, but these might work too. turn off the ttraff daemon from writing stats to nvram, not sure what else might write to it?

Forging through the ftp is a bit daunting. barryware, any input/corrections are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

if you read this, Eko, thanks for porting these builds to work for the e1000 still, and thanks to brainslayer and Co. for continuing the deep development.
ruckstande
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sieva wrote:
I knew there had to be something newer...

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/02-11-2013-r20675/broadcom_K26/ dd-wrt.v24-20675_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v1.bin

posted 2/11/2013

as well as openVPN && nokaid versions available. I'll note that the openvpn version of this SVN revision works properly.

Can the newer e1000 build be used to do the initial flash, since it's explicitly for this device?

Considering there's 4k on this box, I'm unsure if builds up to 4096KB are safe, considering it's rather unsafe to write to a partition all the way up to 100%, but these might work too. turn off the ttraff daemon from writing stats to nvram, not sure what else might write to it?

Forging through the ftp is a bit daunting. barryware, any input/corrections are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

if you read this, Eko, thanks for porting these builds to work for the e1000 still, and thanks to brainslayer and Co. for continuing the deep development.

Did you attempt the OpenVPN version? I thought there was no way it could work on this router.
bacon612
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just an FYI. I just flashed the latest dd-wrt.v24-23082_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v1 to my e1000 v1 and it bricked it. It may have been a bad downloaded but no such error was reported. Tried a 30/30/30 and nothing. I get a few blinks of the power led then it goes off, no blink. Cant even get a few pings out of it after power cycling it in hopes of TFTPing someing functional to it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: