WNDR3700: Restore Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:40    Post subject: tftp on linux for wndr3700v4 Reply with quote
Netgear wndr3700v4
After installing 28976 router went blinky green light. See ticket:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5162 *
I set static ip 192.168.1.3 Could not get anything to work. tftp, ping,telnet,or ssh.” Network unreachable” Tried several methods I found here in forum and wiki.
Found this after a few hours, changed file to “ wndr3700v4-factory.img “ and every thing worked great. Had not even lost any settings. Had to reach router at old ip-192.168.2.1
All settings remained and previous r28882 still installed
malagant wrote:
Post subject: HOWTO: reset the v4 and return to stock
Netgear WNDR3700 V4 
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/27/13) std 

Getting to "reset mode" in the v4 can be a serious -literal- pain. 
Here is what I finally did. I work solely on Linux systems so I cannot confirm on other platforms. 

tftp 192.168.1.1 
tftp> binary 
tftp> verbose 
Verbose mode on. 
tftp> status 
Connected to 192.168.1.1. 
Mode: octet Verbose: on Tracing: off 
Rexmt-interval: 5 seconds, Max-timeout: 25 seconds 
tftp> put WNDR3700v4-V1.0.1.32.img 
putting WNDR3700v4-V1.0.1.32.img to 192.168.1.1:WNDR3700v4-V1.0.1.32.img [octet] 
Sent 7667845 bytes in 5.3 seconds [11574106 bits/sec] 
tftp> quit 

Make sure you tftp the correct file for your router. <Duh> 
After it completes, the green blinky will go to orange blinky, give it about 60 seconds and it should reboot and be back up, stock firmware... 

I also work with linux and most described methods seem to be for windows.
Thanks go to malagant and others for their help.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
Sponsor
visler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 18:59    Post subject: i tried some of the guides here Reply with quote
but i did not succed, but then i tried this one - and it did the trick

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-netgear-router-using-tftp?cid=wmt_netgear_organic
o0camilo0o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good day, I can't do the change of firmware because when I'm doing the recovery mode, no matter the time I'm holding the reset button i don't make that the router shows the green light flashing, that light is always amber and static, unless I release the reset button.

How do I get to do the recovery mode?
bearpigman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used these directions to reset a WNDR4300 to factory firmware.

I encountered an issue when pushing version 1.0.2.80. After tftp upload modem continuously boots and resets.

I got it to work by using the tftp2 suggestion linked above and pusing 1.0.1.34 instead. I ended up doing the upload a few times trying to get it to work.

Uploads only work when the green light is blinking from the 45 second hold of reset button.

Maybe it was some other issues. I would recommend only having one device connecting during this process.
kwmi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys - I'm getting tftp (tried both Windows tftp and tftp2.exe) to push the stock firmware (latest stock firmware from Netgear). However, after the flash the router just enters into an endless reboot loop. The amber light is on solid and the green LAN port that is connected to my laptop is green. Then every 15 seconds or so all lights flash and the router reboots.

I've also tried flashing the DDWRT factory.IMG file just to see if I can get any workable firmware onto this router, but same problem of reboot cycle.

I'm using a Lenovo Yoga laptop with no native LAN port but I do have a USB3 docking station which does. I can still get into recovery mode on this router and it pings, it just doesn't seem able to load the firmware after it gets flashed.

Any ideas on what I can do to get stock (or even DDWRT for that matter) firmware on this router? Shocked

Also should mention this is a WNDR3700v4 and I'm using a laptop running Windows 10.

I may try to set up an old desktop running Windows 7 to test to see if it is the computer causing the issue.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
kwmi wrote:
Guys - I'm getting tftp (tried both Windows tftp and tftp2.exe) to push the stock firmware (latest stock firmware from Netgear). However, after the flash the router just enters into an endless reboot loop. The amber light is on solid and the green LAN port that is connected to my laptop is green. Then every 15 seconds or so all lights flash and the router reboots.

I've also tried flashing the DDWRT factory.IMG file just to see if I can get any workable firmware onto this router, but same problem of reboot cycle.

I'm using a Lenovo Yoga laptop with no native LAN port but I do have a USB3 docking station which does. I can still get into recovery mode on this router and it pings, it just doesn't seem able to load the firmware after it gets flashed.

Any ideas on what I can do to get stock (or even DDWRT for that matter) firmware on this router? Shocked

Also should mention this is a WNDR3700v4 and I'm using a laptop running Windows 10.

I may try to set up an old desktop running Windows 7 to test to see if it is the computer causing the issue.

TFTP wndr3700v4-factory.img
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/02-04-2014-r23503/netgear-wndr3700v4/
kwmi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
That worked, thanks. Now I have DD WRT on the router.

Can I now go ahead with the process to restore factory firmware or am I stuck with DDWRT?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
kwmi wrote:
That worked, thanks. Now I have DD WRT on the router.

Can I now go ahead with the process to restore factory firmware or am I stuck with DDWRT?

You should probably TFTP an old firmware first before the latest.

attached is the netgear wndr3700v4 FW v1.01.32.img
must be logged in to see attachments

Not sure why you want stock FW. The new dd-wrt r36006 is working fine on mine.
kwmi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're the man, thanks for providing the older firmware, was looking all over and couldn't find it.

I have a very simple use case for this router - I am using it as a simple repeater. I have DDWRT on my primary router to take advantage of all the advanced routing but in this case I figured it is best to stick with the simple firmware for the simple use case.

I may try to upgrade to your recommended build and try that out first. If I have any issues I'll try to revert back to stock.
kwmi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would you mind providing a location to download the ddwrt FW you are using on your WNDR3700v4? I'd rather not f*ck this up again. Thanks.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
kwmi wrote:
You're the man, thanks for providing the older firmware, was looking all over and couldn't find it.

I have a very simple use case for this router - I am using it as a simple repeater. I have DDWRT on my primary router to take advantage of all the advanced routing but in this case I figured it is best to stick with the simple firmware for the simple use case.

I may try to upgrade to your recommended build and try that out first. If I have any issues I'll try to revert back to stock.

I would stay with ddwrt whatever you are doing.
My main is an EA8500 but have a couple wndr3700v4 that are up 24/7.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1130001#1130001

Edit:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/05-23-2018-r36006/netgear-wndr3700v4/

use the webflash.bin if already have ddwrt on it
kennon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just chiming in, though a bit late. I attempted to flash new firmware to my WNDR3700v3 and messed up the process. My router now turns on with an orange power light and, shortly after booting, a green LAN light where my laptop is plugged in. About 45 seconds later, the LAN lights all flash for a split second, but nothing else.

I attempted to hold down the reset button while powering on, as described by multiple posts, but no matter how long I hold it down (around 90 seconds), the power light stays amber and does not switch to blinking green. I did a 30/30/30 reset (several, actually) and I believe the router is on 192.168.1.1. My laptop is assigned statically to 192.168.1.2 and connected to a LAN port. When I ping 1.1 continuously, I notice that within 5-10 seconds of powering on the router, I get ping responses for about 15 seconds; after that, the requests all time out. This doesn't happen if I hold down the reset button, which implies the button is doing something-- just not putting it into recovery mode as it's supposed to.

During that short window when the pings respond, I tried both tftp and telnet, but both connections fail. It sounds like a lot of other people were also unable to get the blinking-light recovery mode, but no one seems to have figured out why this happens, and only for some routers. Any suggestions would be most welcome!
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
kennon wrote:
I attempted to flash new firmware to my WNDR3700v3

That is a broadcom router and only 8MB flash. Lots of info about it in broadcom forum. Search 'dd-wrt WNDR3700v3'
kennon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oops, sorry about that. I saw that this thread is on the Atheros forum but it seemed the most relevant to my issue. Will post over there, thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: