WNDR3700: Restore Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Binturong89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed these instructions to a T and still have the blinking green lights and I cannot ping the router. It's been about 20 minutes since I first submitted the TFTP command. Does anyone know what I can do? I'm stumped.
Sponsor
JDickiez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
NO, 30/30/30 need it!

This NETGEAR WNDR3700 Router and maybe all NETGEAR Router have this function called " Reset Flash " or something like that.

1. You turn off the Router.

2. Hold reset button in, well turning on the Router.

3. Countdown to 45 second or wait tell the power light blinks green to release the reset button.

Next you'll need to change Computer's IP Address to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 and SubnetMask 255.255.255.0 only.

Then you will use a TFTP client:

Arrow Mac TFTP Client

Arrow Windows TFTP Client
In Windows you need to turn TFTP Client on by going to Program & Features, Turn windows features on or off, check TFTP Client and click OK button.

Linux you have to use Commands
Info can be found Arrow Here and Arrow Here

Server: 192.168.1.1
password: don't need to use one
file: firmware download here

DD-WRT Download WNDR3700v1
Arrow r16454
Arrow r16785
Arrow r17201

sumolx wrote:
These are the steps I took to getting 17201 installed in my router.

1. TFTP flash 16785 (wndr3700-factory_NA_16785.img)
2. Reset to Factory Defaults.
3. Then upgrade with (wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin) and make sure reset to factory defaults is NOT selected.
vinnie175
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will this method work if, for some strange reason, the router gets bricked? I am looking at buying one of these routers but I am afraid of bricking it and not being able to get any firmware back on it.
memory
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a wndr3700 v1. Win 7 64 bit. Recovering with the tftp process is successful and then I get the flashing green light that never stops flashing. According to the manual, this means the firmware is corrupted.

The cd included in the box has a firmware restoration utility. This process takes a while (20 min) but successfully restores the Netgear firmware.
JDickiez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
memory wrote:
I have a wndr3700 v1. Win 7 64 bit. Recovering with the tftp process is successful and then I get the flashing green light that never stops flashing. According to the manual, this means the firmware is corrupted.

The cd included in the box has a firmware restoration utility. This process takes a while (20 min) but successfully restores the Netgear firmware.

Did you remember to change your PC IP to Automatic Question
msymmes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 20:18    Post subject: Use the Netgear CD Reply with quote
If you can't get the tftp to work then use the Netgear CD and do a Firmware Recovery. It takes about 20 minutes but I can say that it works.
WNDR3700_newbie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:52    Post subject: having trouble Reply with quote
Nothing seems to work for me. Here's what I have tried so far with the following results.

I tried booting the router into recovery mode. That works. I get a flashing green light and I can ping the router. Unfortunately, the tftp transfer times out. I tried both from an ubuntu box and an XP box and in both cases I set it to a fixed ip address of 192.168.1.2.

I tried doing a TFTP flash using the instructions on: www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash . In that case I do a normal router boot, the router will be pingable for a while and then will reset itself or something and I'll get a network disconnect error. Then it will be pingable again for a while. It keeps cycling like that. In any case no matter how much I try to time the TFTP transfer to start just as the router becomes bootable, it never takes. Instead it sits and tries until the network goes out and then I get a network connection error.

I tried doing a firmware recovery from the CD that came with my netgear. That didn't work either. I tried that from two separate Windows7 laptops and in each case I got the error: "the router was not able to detect an ethernet adapter." That happened regardless of whether I first put the router in recovery mode.

Any suggestions? Is it completely and fully bricked?
starkreiten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:34    Post subject: Re: having trouble Reply with quote
WNDR3700_newbie wrote:
Any suggestions? Is it completely and fully bricked?

First I'd try this; power on w/reset, and immediately release reset(after less than 1 second!), let it boot up. This should restore the default settings. If there is a boot loop thing going, just move on to the next step.

Now to get it into tftp mode; power off, HOLD reset and power on UNTIL the power indicator light STARTS blinking ON/OFF (after about 20 seconds). It's now ready for tftp!

As easy as tftp is with the wndr3700, I don't even bother with the factory reinstall/upgrade or dd-wrt web upgrade methods... just tftp whichever 'factory'.img that is wanted. DD-WRT, OEM, OpenWRT, it doesn't matter! The img transfers in a flash, but will take a few minutes for the install cycle to complete. When you can browse to 192.168.1.1, it should be finished. Smile

Per some hints from netgear docs floating around, there doesn't seem to be any need to set a manual ip, since tftp works by going directly to 192.168.1.1! Pinging also seems a waste of time with this router. As for a 30/30/30 reset ... nothing seems to get reset on MY v.1 router that way. Oh, and my power switch works fine for all the ons and offs. ;>

I do like to do another power on w/reset(no! don't keep holding it!!) after the flash to let the new firmware stuff its defaults into the right places.

So,
a) power on w/reset(don't keep holding!), let it boot up.
b) power down, HOLD reset and power on until power indicator light STARTS blinking ON/OFF (about 20 seconds).
c) tftp a 'factory' firmware .img of choice, wait for install cycle to complete (check with browser).
d) power on w/reset(don't hold!), let it boot up.
e) log into router and configure!

Whew, so much for a short post! Good luck,
Dana
platinuum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this also working for the WNDR 4000?
WNDR3700_newbie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Dana, thanks for the reply. It was helpful.

It turned out that my problem was pretty simple. I couldn't get it to work because I had a firewall running. That was dumb since the instructions clearly said to make sure it was off. Anyway just posting in case someone else gets the same problem and may have made the same mistake I did.
diedie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 20:23    Post subject: Can't get blinking power Reply with quote
Hi,
I tried a lot of things to get back to factory firmware, but tftp is not working at all.
In fact, even when i try to get into tftp mode, it's not happening.
I tried to wait approx 60 secs, it's the same.
I don't even know if my reset button is working..
cdanderson04
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello

I have tried the instructions here and I just can't seem to get it to work. I have tried multiple tftp clients and it always times out on me. On tftpd32 it usually times out around block #1000, and in tftp2, it just goes through all the attempts to flash and at the end it says it failed. I have pushed in the button in the red circle and waited for it to turn green flashing which it does, then I proceed to try the flash and it just doesn't work. I am connected from computer to a LAN port and I have also turned on TFTP in Windows 7.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
rushino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice post! will definitivly be useful. So it is better to use tftp to flash a firmware ?
Gospodin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 21:33    Post subject: Re: WNDR3700: Restore Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps Reply with quote
Jaxxit, thank you very much, your instruction work fine for my wndr4500, which out from the box were as brick (power light blink green, which means that firmware is corrupted).
redheadedrodney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 17:19    Post subject: Resource CD Reply with quote
Does anyone have a copy of the Resource CD?

I have a WNDR3700 that has had the flashing green light since I initially installed DD-WRT when I bought it.

If I let it go through a normal power up it looks like it performs the normal checks (Amber light flashes etc) but ends up with the flashing Green power light.

I have tried the above procedure and it is not working so I would like to try the resource CD method and hope it works. And I can not find my disk so I need a copy of it.

Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: