WNDR3700: Restore Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
malagant
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 17:52    Post subject: HOWTO: reset the v4 and return to stock Reply with quote
Netgear WNDR3700 V4
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/27/13) std

Getting to "reset mode" in the v4 can be a serious -literal- pain.
Here is what I finally did. I work solely on Linux systems so I cannot confirm on other platforms.
This is tested with Debian Wheezy, for reference.
This is a compilation of many other posts, so YMMV
Only you are responsible if you brick your router.

Back up your router config if you wish.

Set up your Ethernet connection:
IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: <leave blank>
Preferred DNS server: <leave blank>
Alternate DNS server: <leave blank>

Plug directly into the router.
Make sure the cable is going from your computer to one of the 4 ethernet ports, and not the internet port on the router.

Telnet (or SSH) into your router & issue commands:
This resets to default configuration.

erase nvram ## should work
reboot

or

mtd -r erase nvram ## This is what I did, it automatically reboots.

Once you get a ping back, do this to erase dd-wrt:

telnet 192.168.1.1
root/admin
mtd erase linux << not mtb

This forces you into reset mode, with a green blinking power light.
No more poking the button when I'm hours away from an MRI on my wrist

After it completes, cycle power to the router and it will automatically go to green blinky.
Now continue from there.

ping 192.168.1.1
40 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=1 ttl=64 (truncated)
Warning: time of day goes back (-1847014449us), taking countermeasures.
## this is not a problem, but telnet will NOT work as a test connection now.

tftp 192.168.1.1
tftp> binary
tftp> verbose
Verbose mode on.
tftp> status
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Mode: octet Verbose: on Tracing: off
Rexmt-interval: 5 seconds, Max-timeout: 25 seconds
tftp> put WNDR3700v4-V1.0.1.32.img
putting WNDR3700v4-V1.0.1.32.img to 192.168.1.1:WNDR3700v4-V1.0.1.32.img [octet]
Sent 7667845 bytes in 5.3 seconds [11574106 bits/sec]
tftp> quit

Make sure you tftp the correct file for your router. <Duh>
After it completes, the green blinky will go to orange blinky, give it about 60 seconds and it should reboot and be back up, stock firmware...

default login is admin / password
Sponsor
Burks84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 17:25    Post subject: Recovery mode Reply with quote
Anyone had any luck getting version 3 into recovery mode. Tried everything
Hextejas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me post my experiences just restoring to V1 via Windows 7.
WNDR3700-V1.0.4.68NA.img

I too ran into the blinking green power light and I had thought I had something wrong, so I backud up and did the resets again and again with the same results.
I recall seeing the power light go to blinking amber, solid amber, then blinking green but never solid green
What I wound up doing was to pull out the reset pin after it got to solid amber and before a blinking green.
And I am totally not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Anyway, I proceeded to do the patch and got to the end in about 10 secs. with this message.
File uploaded 6160577 4 secs
Since I had been expecting a longer process I tried to do it again and got some error.
I did another reset and upload with the same results only it only took 3 secs.
In between the different tries I tried pinging it with 192.168.1.1 and got request timed out.

What finally set me straight was that doing a "factory reset" does not restore it to the typical 192.168.1.1
It restored it to my settings before DD-WRT as 10.0.0.1 and I had no idea how I discovered that.
After I realized that, I was good to go.

Good luck
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Hextejas, I don't know what kind of factory reset you did but factory reset does set the router to 192.168.1.1.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
@Hextejas, I don't know what kind of factory reset you did but factory reset does set the router to 192.168.1.1.

It was the one by pushing and holding the small, recessed button on the bottom. It takes a paper clip to get to it.

You know, as I recall it, it's possible that when I pushed and held that button, that the router was connected to another router and as such, when it reset itself to 192.168.1.1, it would have conflicted with router #2.
Perhaps it assigned itself to the 10.n.n.n range.

I swear that these beasts are works of the devil. Twisted Evil
xplorer1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 22:25    Post subject: WNDR3700v3 doesn't enter recovery mode Reply with quote
I tried the firmware for 3700v3, one radio sucked while it did put out a little "dismal" would be an understatement. Lucky if could detect that radio at a mere couple of inches from it, connect to it not at any distance even laying right on top of it.

I read where it stated that could be a problem with these routers, model router that had weak radios. Router I have does not have weak radio/s running the stock firmware, stock the wireless side works just great.

Anyway I had same problem as others before me could not get the router into recovery mode to save my you know what. It would not flash the power light green regardless what I tried and I followed instructions to a T.

It would not allow me to flash back to the factory firmware because of that issue no way no how.

I tired everything and anything and what finally worked for me, I choose a version DD-WRT firmwarethat it was not running at the time (it was running dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-nv64k.bin) I could change to any one of the three just not back to stock.

I started the flash from mini to mega and when I figured it was about half way done or so with the flash I pulled the network cable out of the back of the router killing the connection. Waited a moment plugging it back in to corrupt the flash, that worked power light begin to flash blue.

At that point I was able to use the firmware recovery utility on the disk to restore it, took running the utility a couple times to finish it but the first run had it back to Netgear firmware and both radios full power.

IMO firmware is not ready for prime time on the V3.

I wish it was I run DD-WRT on a WNDR3300 and love it, been waiting watching for it to be ready for the 3700 and was happy to see it listed as "supported'.

Unfortunately it does not work, well every thing seamed fine all but the one radio not working (I tested all three versions) but that kills it for me, I do want and use both radios.

Anyway use info at own risk of course, I was down to last hope last ditch effort to save it so went for it and it worked fine.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Btw explorer, yours is a Broadcom unit. Check on the Broadcom forum for some tips there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Btw explorer, yours is a Broadcom unit. Check on the Broadcom forum for some tips there.

Oh heck I intended to post there, sorry about that.

Too many tabs open got em mixed up!
eskwire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrJile wrote:
Also had a problem to return factory firmware. The problem was the same green flashing. Tried to restore from cd and it said that there was a timeout and probably router was ok. Smile And it didn't stop green flashing.

BUT! I did it. Smile The problem was that I had WNDR3700v2 and link in the instructions as I understood was for v1.

Here is link for WNDR3700v2. If you have green flashing problem try use this file with tftp.

PS: Difference between original instruction is Power LED light is off, once it comletes it will be green.

Hope this can help someone.

This one work fine whit the V2 thanks men. You save my pocket.
Velvet67
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 13:51    Post subject: HOWTO: reset the v4 and return to stock Reply with quote
@malagant: Thank you so much, you're a life saver!!!
Worked on WNDR3700 v3 too (with appropriate firmware...)
ar_156
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
HELP!

I tried to restore my WNDR4300 to the stock firmware, followed the thread but now the router goes to an endless boot loop(boots up, power orange light on the Port 1 orange light, few seconds later all lights on (green and blue), then restart the cicle).

Press and hold RESET then power on to get blinking Green light: OK
Set the PC to 192.168.1.2: OK
Firewalls and Antivirus disable: OK
Use TFTP -i 192.168.1.1 stock.img : OK, the process only took 4 seconds then the WNDR4300 stop the green blinking and then start the boot loop.

PLEASE HELP!!!

How do I recovery my WNDR4300 and flash it to stock firmware?
ar_156
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I called NetGear support, they told me to do this:

1. Download and run TFTP2.exe
2. Set PC IP to 192.168.1.20
3. Set TFTP2 server: 192.168.1.1
Set TFTP2 password: password
Set TFTP2 File: download the firmware from netgear.com
4. Press RESET button x 45 seconds, green light start blinking
5. Press TFTP2 UPLOAD button.
6. After file uploaded it will start reboot cycles, wait 20 minutes.
7. Unplug power and wait 1 minute.
8. Plug power.

Hope this help. My Router WND4R300 is working now.
Dunimas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 14:35    Post subject: WNDR4300 Can't Uninstall dd-wrt Reply with quote
I followed all of these steps. Got a confirmation that the file was put on the router, did the 45-45-45 reset, etc and waited.

I can watch the power button cycle to yellow, all lights come on, the lan line stays green, the power line goes green.

After HOURS of waiting, I can never get back into the router using www.routerlogin.net

HELP!

I can get in through the IP, but can't get this back to Netgear firmware. I have tried their initial build WNDR4300-V1.0.1.30.img

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 15:02    Post subject: Re: WNDR4300 Can't Uninstall dd-wrt Reply with quote
Dunimas wrote:
I followed all of these steps. Got a confirmation that the file was put on the router, did the 45-45-45 reset, etc and waited.

I can watch the power button cycle to yellow, all lights come on, the lan line stays green, the power line goes green.

After HOURS of waiting, I can never get back into the router using www.routerlogin.net

HELP!

I can get in through the IP, but can't get this back to Netgear firmware. I have tried their initial build WNDR4300-V1.0.1.30.img

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Download tftp2.exe. Set your pc Ethernet card to: IP address 192.168.1.9, subnet mask 255.255,255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1.
Open tftp2.exe, type 192.168.1.1 in the server field, leave password blank, browse to where you have the netgear fw. Have it ready to upload but don't hit upgrade yet.
Plug your powered off router to the PC.
Open a cmd window, type ping 192.168.1.1 -t.
Hold the reset button into the router, power up the router while holding the reset button.
Watch your ping responses. When you get a ttl=100 ping back hit upgrade on the tft2.exe

It should push the fw on the router. Now sit back and watch the lights and the pings.
It will go through a few reboots and eventually you should be able to access the router on 192.168.1.1 to the router login.net.

Worked on my wndr4300.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 16:41    Post subject: Awesome! Reply with quote
That worked! 20 minutes waiting, unplugged one minute then BOOM! it worked.

I did turn off my firewall first before doing the tftp stuff.

Thanks for the help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: