WNDR3700: Restore Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad it worked. The wndr4300 and the wndr3700v4 boot up a lot slower than the other wndr series, I've noticed.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 21:51    Post subject: [MY SOLUTION] Reply with quote
[RESOLVED]

hello everyone... i bricked my router ugrading dd-wrt and these instructions didnt solve the flashing green light issue... so posting this to help anyone else

in short:

router wndr3700v2N600

get a TFTP client : http://www.mactechnologies.com/index.php?page=downloads#tftpclient
download netgear firmware: http://support.netgear.com/product/WNDR3700v2 (link may be outdated in the future so use your googleFoo)

-find TFTP client
-find original router firmware img
-system settings - network - select ethernet connection
-----configure: manually
-----ip:192.168.1.10
-----subnet mask:255.255.255.0
-----router: 192.168.1.1
-router
-----only connection to router should be computer doing update
-----turn router power off
-----press and hold underside reset button with paperclip (get a damn good grip on it so you dont slip... you can do it...)
-----turn power on
-----watch power led
----------orange flashing/solid
----------turns green
----------turns flashing green
----------count at least 10 flashing green
---------------release reset button
-TFTP client
-----address: 192.168.1.1
-----password: password
-----file: img file : from original firmware
-----click start
----------waiting:
---------------sent block xxx of 13,825 (took about 10 min)
---------------power light on router off
---------------MESSAGE: Transfer completed successfully - power light still off
---------------fast flashing orange green power light
---------------solid orange
---------------solid orange with flashes on 1/2/3/4 leds
---------------solid orange power, 2.4 and 5GHz turn on
---------------power led turns green with both wifi on (15 min into process)
---------------------ALL SET

now turn DHCP back on in network settings and log in to the web GUI 192.168.1.1

finally done with this... phew... now packing for my snowboard trip without worries!
AlbertTCB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much for you step-by-step tutorial.
Lastb0isct
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:24    Post subject: Issues getting WNDR3700v4 back into factory Reply with quote
Hi All,

I've been working on this issue for a few days now and can't seem to find a break! I am attempting to flash back to the stock firmware via several methods mentioned in this thread for my WNDR3700v4. I have tried pretty much everything in this thread. This is what is happening everytime now.

Upon reset and upload of firmware:
--Solid Orange Power Light
--Solid Orange Power Light + Green LED for connected PC LAN Port
--Solid Orange Power Light + ALL other lights blink on

Then back to Solid Orange Power Light. This seems like an endless boot and I let this process go all day hoping that it would fix itself but it looks like that didn't help. Still stuck and any help would be appreciated.
ddwrt_likes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:17    Post subject: WNDR3700v4 same problem as above - orange + green Reply with quote
I've succesfully flash DDWRT on a bunch of routers (inc WNDR3700v2 which is current setup).

I have the same issue on my WNDR3700v4 after what seemed like successful flash:

Quote:

Upon reset and upload of firmware:
--Solid Orange Power Light
--Solid Orange Power Light + Green LED for connected PC LAN Port
--Solid Orange Power Light + ALL other lights blink on

Then back to Solid Orange Power Light. This seems like an endless boot and I let this process go all day hoping that it would fix itself but it looks like that didn't help. Still stuck and any help would be appreciated.

I can successfully flash via tftp, but looks like the flash doesn't stick.

Will keep trying and post back if I find a solution.
vboyz103
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Followed the instructions and did the tftp on a Mac as follow:

connect 192.168.1.1
binary
rexmt 1
timeout 60
put WNDR3700_1.0.52.img

got the response stating some 7MB transferred in 5 seconds.

Now the router had been sitting on orange light and occasionally all the lights flash and off, then some more minutes they come on again, and POWER LED is still orange. However, it had been over 30 minutes and no green light yet. Should I unplug and retry? Or will it permanently brick the device?
Dude_Virus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
vboyz103 wrote:
Followed the instructions and did the tftp on a Mac as follow:

connect 192.168.1.1
binary
rexmt 1
timeout 60
put WNDR3700_1.0.52.img

got the response stating some 7MB transferred in 5 seconds.

Now the router had been sitting on orange light and occasionally all the lights flash and off, then some more minutes they come on again, and POWER LED is still orange. However, it had been over 30 minutes and no green light yet. Should I unplug and retry? Or will it permanently brick the device?

I had the same problem when restoring to stock.. the power light stays amber and then both power and lan light come on. after that all wireless lights will flash and then it will be back to the solid amber power.

I waited for 1 hour on that same thing and then finally decided to turn the power off to the device. after switching the power back on the router actually booted back to the netgear stock GUI. But surprisingly all my setting which I did on the netgear gui before I flashed dd-wrt, were automatically available. even a 30/30/30 reset didn't seems to wipe them off.
czyzczyz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:43    Post subject: Re: [MY SOLUTION] Reply with quote
D37clown wrote:
[RESOLVED]

hello everyone... i bricked my router ugrading dd-wrt and these instructions didnt solve the flashing green light issue... so posting this to help anyone else

finally done with this... phew... now packing for my snowboard trip without worries!

Thanks for this, it worked very well on my WNDR3700v4. Happily 15 seconds of holding the reset button while powering on did the trick and I didn't have to do any commands in a telnet session, and the linked tftp program did the trick. 10 minutes for the tftp transfer, and then I waited about 40 minutes as it did the repetitive and slow LED light show. Eventually I gave up and power-cycled the thing after deciding the power light was never going to go solid green, and the netgear firmware was back.
batmundo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27    Post subject: Re: WNDR3700: Restore Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps Reply with quote
Quote:

Step 2: Placing the Router Into Recovery Mode

Start by turning off the router using the power button on the back of the device. Now, using the small object of your choice, press and hold the "Restore Factory Settings", also known as the Reset button located on the bottom of the router (there is a red ring around it). While holding the rest button, turn the router back on. Continue to hold the reset button for approximately 45 seconds then release it.

** NOTE: Before you release the reset button, just be sure the power LED light on the router is flashing. If it isn't, continue to hold it for about another 15 seconds until it is flashing.

I'm having trouble with this bit here - no matter how long I hold down the power button, the light stays orange, even after 5 minutes. No green solid, nor green flashing ever. Once I let go, then the lights eventually light up like normal, but the router doesn't respond to pings or anything. It seems like the recovery mode just isn't booting. Any ideas?
rebski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to the OP and all who contributed to this very useful thread. My method may be of interest and I would like to share it.

1. Factory Reset as described by Jaxxit in first post

2. Put Netgear Router into Recovery Mode(as described by JDickiez in post number 24 page 3) and wait for the flashing amber power light to change to flashing green

3. Configure and run the Upgrade Firmware utility which can be download from here
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841

4. Wait for the process to finish, approx 5 minutes

5. Factory reset or 30/30/30 as you prefer.
amp3d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all this info.

I have a problem with my v1, when I turn it on it goes directly into recovery mode.

I'm able to send the firmware without any problems, but then the power light goes off, unable to ping, and the power light will verrrrry sloooowly turn on and off.

If I leave it long enough, it goes back into recovery mode. I don't think it's actually applying the firmware that I send via tftp?

Anyone else experience this? My router is toast?
loc3loan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the instruction of how to apply the default firmware back on the the router. It works on the first try for me. Good luck.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-wndr3700v2-router-using-tftp
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
loc3loan wrote:
I found the instruction of how to apply the default firmware back on the the router. It works on the first try for me. Good luck.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-wndr3700v2-router-using-tftp

Those are the same steps outlined at the beginning of this thread. The only difference being using tftp2.exe instead of the cmd line.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 14:05    Post subject: Worked for me with some differences Reply with quote
Thanks hugely for this. I was just about to toss my apparently-bricked router (WNDR3700v2).

The procedure outlined at the start of this thread worked. The 45 second power-on reset worked exactly as expected, including the flashing power LED.

After that, there were some differences:

[1] Despite being unable to PING 192.168.1.1, the TFTP operation completed successfully ('Transfer successful'). Oddly, the transfer only took two seconds.

[2] The TFTP transfer happened so fast that I didn't notice what the LEDs were doing.

[3] After the transfer, the power LED was actually OFF, initially.

[4] At this point I assumed the flashing hadn't worked, but as I was sitting there groaning, the router LEDs started doing all kinds of weird stuff that I'd never seen before, like flashing amber and green at the same time.

[5] I waited for a couple of minutes, and eventually the weird LED patterns stopped, and the router appeared to reboot in the familiar way, ending with what appeared to be all normal lights.

[6] At this point I was able to ping 192.168.1.1 for the first time. Yay!

[7] A minute later, I was finally able to access the router's web interface.

All is now back to normal.

FYI, what semi-bricked the router was attempting to upgrade the DD-WRT firmware,
to: V24-preSP2 04-18-2014-r23919

Again, thanks.
jrichmond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 23:11    Post subject: Re: WNDR3700: Restore Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps Reply with quote
batmundo wrote:
Quote:

Step 2: Placing the Router Into Recovery Mode

Start by turning off the router using the power button on the back of the device. Now, using the small object of your choice, press and hold the "Restore Factory Settings", also known as the Reset button located on the bottom of the router (there is a red ring around it). While holding the rest button, turn the router back on. Continue to hold the reset button for approximately 45 seconds then release it.

** NOTE: Before you release the reset button, just be sure the power LED light on the router is flashing. If it isn't, continue to hold it for about another 15 seconds until it is flashing.

I'm having trouble with this bit here - no matter how long I hold down the power button, the light stays orange, even after 5 minutes. No green solid, nor green flashing ever. Once I let go, then the lights eventually light up like normal, but the router doesn't respond to pings or anything. It seems like the recovery mode just isn't booting. Any ideas?

I'm having this exact same issue. Anyone have a solution?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: