WNDR3700: Restore Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's probably bricked. If you hook a serial cable up to it, the log would probably say "waiting for reset button release".
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
It's probably bricked. If you hook a serial cable up to it, the log would probably say "waiting for reset button release".

Seriously? All I did was exactly what step 2 in the original post said. Turn off, press and hold reset, turn on, wait 45 seconds... lights never flashed.

Is there anything else that can be done, or am I screwed?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
If that is all you did it should eventually boot back up.
You set a static ip? You also aren't getting any ping responses?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
If that is all you did it should eventually boot back up.
You set a static ip? You also aren't getting any ping responses?

That is all I did... all the lights on the front behaved like it was booting normally (power, wifi and ethernet lights are all on and stable).

After a few restarts I was finally able to connect to the dd-wrt web interface again, and all seems to be back to normal. I have no idea how to do a factory reset though, since the directions in this post won't work.

I tried the factory reset method a few more times with the same results. Anyone else have other ideas for how to do the reset?

If it makes any difference, the router is WNDR3700v3
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes the v3 is a Broadcom unit. If you can access the GUI, go to the factory reset tab.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
The OP's method worked for my bricked WNDR3700v2. While dicking around with IPKG I used the web-update to flash a newer build and it hammered my router... Could not connect to the gui or ping it. Power led was solid green.

All in all it took about 5 mins to flash back to stock...I think i may give OpenWRT/trunk a go.

Thanks for the write up!!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimichunga wrote:
The OP's method worked for my bricked WNDR3700v2. While dicking around with IPKG I used the web-update to flash a newer build and it hammered my router... Could not connect to the gui or ping it. Power led was solid green.

All in all it took about 5 mins to flash back to stock...I think i may give OpenWRT/trunk a go.

Thanks for the write up!!

It is also supported by gargolye cfw.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:56    Post subject: Thanks! It works on WNDR3700 v2 Reply with quote
I guess I was posting right when the forum went nuts the other night so now all my 3 posts seem to have been deleted. After trying the ddrt on my v2, I couldn't get any wireless connections so I used this to go back to my original firmware and all is good again, but now I have to go find a new router since I need to use the dynamic dns and the original firmware doesn't work.

Just for information purposes here's what it had.
-Latest oem firmware at this time V1.0.1.14, GUI V1.0.0.67
- I did tried the database firmware and the latest one I was pointed to on the ftp which got deleted on one of my previous post and both did not let me connect wirelessly. So it fixed one problem, but gave me another, both of which I need.

I have now restored the same oem firmware with the steps provided here and it's working again.

Just make sure when you press the button, that you count to 40-45 seconds. I just watched the lights blinked. Couldn't tell whether it was good or not, but the first time I guess I didn't wait enough. The second time I left it alone, then went to add the tftp on the windows 7 and followed the directions. It didn't look like it was doing much, but I just left it alone while I did something else. Came back, tried to log into it and couldn't. Then I forgot if I waited a bit more, restarted the computer then logged in and all was good. I left the router on the whole time and eventually it restarted itself. It's a bit hard to tell but follow the instructions and don't hold that button for more than a minute, if it doesn't work after under one, then just try again.

I contacted netgear but all they said it's that it doesn't support no-ip. I also mentioned how the darn page keeps logging me out too fast. I don't know why they can update these two parts on it, but there you go. I like the router and it's all I need, but due to that small problem I have to find me a new one. I'll just use it for an access point once I find one.

Does anyone know what other router may support more than two dynamic services? I just saw a refurbished linksys, but I found out it only supports dyndns which I don't think they even have any more free is and tzo. I don't really care what company it is from, I just want to find something that works and supports a these. I have used so many routers I'm just looking for a cheaper one that has what I need. Thanks.
shaklee3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone gotten this to work recently? I have a v3 and I tried the steps in the first post many times, and the power LED just stays solid orange, no matter how long I hold it. If I let go, the router isn't reachable at 192.168.1.1. If I do a normal power cycle at that point, it goes back to dd-wrt. I'm running build 25279 and since someone else said the mega and big builds don't fit in flash, I want to go back to stock for USB HDD support.
shaklee3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone gotten this to work recently? I have a v3 and I tried the steps in the first post many times, and the power LED just stays solid orange, no matter how long I hold it. If I let go, the router isn't reachable at 192.168.1.1. If I do a normal power cycle at that point, it goes back to dd-wrt. I'm running build 25279 and since someone else said the mega and big builds don't fit in flash, I want to go back to stock for USB HDD support.

Edit: zero2005's post from page 3 fixed it for me by telneting in. This brings me to another point: when I tried flashing the mega build before, it would say it succeeded almost immediately, then after a reboot I would see that it didn't actually flash it. This is really similar to what the TFTP command was doing initially. Could it be that the v3 cannot be flashed through the web gui to do the mega/big builds of ddwrt when already running the mini?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
The mega or big are too big to fit on the v3. The latest released yesterday may fit though.
By the way the v3 is not atheros.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having an issue with the command prompt step. Can someone assist? See attached.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use tftp2.exe. Much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I use tftp2.exe. Much easier.

How do you run it??
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Download it. It's pretty much self explanatory. Don't worry about the password field.

Navigation

Jump to: