2.4 GHz network keeps dropping on TP-Link TL-WDR4300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Enderneer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 17:28    Post subject: 2.4 GHz network keeps dropping on TP-Link TL-WDR4300 Reply with quote
Hi.

I recently flashed my TP-Link TL-WDR4300 router with DD-WRT.

I have a 2.4 GHz network (hidden SSID) and a virtual guest network (unbridged, SSID broadcast on) + a 5 GHz network (hidden SSID).

The 2.4 GHz network and the virtual guest network randomly drop the connection (and sometimes stop broadcasting) at various times of the day.

Here are the basic settings:
Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: Mixed
Channel Width: Dynamic (20/40)
Wireless Channel + Extension Channel: auto
Regulatory Domain: Germany
TX power: 20 dBm
Antenna Gain: 0 dBi
Protection Mode: none
RTS Threshold, Short Preamble and AP Isolation disabled
ScanList: Default
TX/RX Antenna Chains: 1+2
ACK Timing: 0
MTik Compatibility: Disabled
Network Configuration: Bridged

The security is WPA2 Personal with AES encryption and a 3600 s key renewal interval.

After trying out various settings, these ones seem to be the ones with the least crashes.

I unbridged the virtual network using the multiple DHCP Server method and iptables commands in the firewall.

Has someone encountered the same issue and found a fix?
Sponsor
DeathReaper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using Auto for channel isn't always good, upper channel sometimes have problems, dynamic mode is broken since forever

Optimal Settings should be:

Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: NG-Mixed or NA-Mixed or (Mixed for legacy device support - may reduce N-speed if a legacy device is connected)
Channel Width: Wide HT40
Wireless Channel = 11 or 161 or a channel with less interference
Extension Channel: Lower
Regulatory Domain: Germany
TX power: 20 dBm
Antenna Gain: 0 dBi
Protection Mode: none
RTS Threshold, Short Preamble and AP Isolation disabled
ScanList: Default
TX/RX Antenna Chains: 1+2
ACK Timing: 0
MTik Compatibility: Disabled
Network Configuration: Bridged

Wireless Security:
WP2 Personal with AES
Enderneer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.
Thanks for the tip.
I changed the settings. I guess I'll have to monitor the connection for a while.

Most 2.4 GHz channels (1-13 are available here) are pretty congested. I'm counting around 15 networks in my apartment complex right now (and many seem to pick random channels like 3, 4, etc.). But that never used to cause the connection to drop with my old D-Link DIR600, it just resulted in higher packet losses in the evenings.

So due to the upper extension causing problems, would you not recommend selecting channel 1, even if it is the least congested out of 1,6 and 11?

Should I change this setting for the 5 GHz network, too? It is also set to auto channel selection (but there are only 2 other networks in the 5 GHz channels).
DeathReaper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your area is already congested, your wireless will also cause interference with others or vice versa so you can make use of it.

Are you using the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz? You can use the same SSID since connecting device can automatically select the best band either 2.4/5ghz 20/40mhz.

I only notice this problem I had with upper extension is that my device are capable of N-speed of 300mbps 40mhz but connected at 150mbps 20mhz instead until I change it to a lower extension. You can see this in the console of all wireless devices connected on either 20 or 40mhz

You may use 6 or 11 or 1 just to test for stability. 5GHZ should have less interference on any channel. I would use channel 161 lower on 5GHZ
Enderneer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I'm not using the same SSID. I want to keep the 5 GHz network reserved for certain PCs and laptops only and the 2.4 GHz network for mobile devices, etc.

The 5 GHz network never has any problems, it's just the 2.4 GHz one that keeps "kicking" devices.
This morning, it was really unstable, so I changed all settings back (except for the channel and lower extension channel). Been at work all day, so I'll have to monitor it some more tomorrow and see if that does the trick.
Enderneer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I've been monitoring it for a while...
The 2.4 GHz network is still unstable.
vipersinu2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54    Post subject: wrn2000v3 dropping internet Reply with quote
its been a while on this post, has anyone has a resolution to the dropping, I am also having an issue dropping after 40 seconds, I lose the ping connection to the main router, I removed password and left open, still drops.

I telnet in to router and flashed,
Index of /dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/01-19-2018-r34578/netgear-wnr2000v3/

but I had same results with 18777 build

thanks for any tips
rzwinston
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
same with 2 Netgear WNDR3700V4(tried lot of firmwares too) no one answered?Is it hardware bad?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turn off noise immunity and see what's up then.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
link in green.. & thanks for bringing up a 2 year old thread instead of starting ur own

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: