Enabling NTFS on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
sam3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 19:23    Post subject: Enabling NTFS on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Reply with quote
Hi
Ive mostly set up new router, but theres a few little things Im stuck on.
I would like to connect my 1TB Seagate freeagent drive to my router (using NTFS) and use it as an NAS. I would like to able to stream movies/video files of this drive to a number of different computers on my network.
I would also like to stream HD content of the drive via gigabit ethernet.

First off, Is this just a pipe dream or is it possible?

Second, I have seen various parts of guides on the net that look useful but im struggling putting all the parts together.

Third, I would like to eventually create a coherent all in one guide for this process that will benefit all other networking noobies too ;)

Heres my understanding so far:

0). The first problem is my hard drive is not detected at all by the router. Some of my other smaller NTFS drives are but it just says file system is unsupported. This drive however is not detected at all?

1). To enable NTFS I will need an additional kernel module:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43358
Is this the latest/correct version to use?

2). Then I will need to load the module on the router by either enabling JFFS or running it off an attached storage device.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/JFFS
Which method will be better? Can I create a small ext3 partition on my 1TB Seagate freeagent drive and run the module of that? What partition size would you recommend (Ive read that you can also run additional programs of an ext3 drive - though I have no idea were to find these additional programs).

3). I will have to create a startup script to load the module
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Startup_Scripts
What would the script look like for this case?

4). Enable NAS in router settings.

Is this the correct procedure or have I missed out any steps? Any help/tips will be appreciated and of course you will be credited in the final guide ;)

Thanks in advance

Sammy
Sponsor
AfterShock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
what version of ddwrt are you using, the latest version seems to have usb drive issues. As for using ntfs I haven't heard of anyone being able to gain write access with it but as long as the drive was staying connected to the router ntfs isn't any better than ext3 and since the router handles the data file system compatibility isn't an issue. As far as streaming goes it should be possible by installing a few other apps and I'm sure there are guides floating around on how to do it.
sam3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
AfterShock wrote:
what version of ddwrt are you using, the latest version seems to have usb drive issues. As for using ntfs I haven't heard of anyone being able to gain write access with it but as long as the drive was staying connected to the router ntfs isn't any better than ext3 and since the router handles the data file system compatibility isn't an issue. As far as streaming goes it should be possible by installing a few other apps and I'm sure there are guides floating around on how to do it.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

Im using firmware
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896 which is the latest version I believe. So it not detecting my hard drive could be a bug? Is their a more stable release somewhere?
The hard drive will be static (i.e. connected to the router 24/7) so as long as I can read/write files on this drive from a windows machine I will be happy no matter what file system it is Very Happy
AfterShock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is 14929 which has by far worked better than any other ddwrt build that I've tried and now seems to once again the latest as the last 2 builds which up to 15xxx something have been pulled from the downloads. I was assuming you were using the latest version which the usb features were completely busted. If you try 14929 keep the usb drive disconnected until you flash the newer one and have enabled the usb features you need then plug the drive in and it should be detected. No worries on using ext3 with windows machines because the router takes care of that for you.
sam3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
AfterShock wrote:
there is 14929 which has by far worked better than any other ddwrt build that I've tried and now seems to once again the latest as the last 2 builds which up to 15xxx something have been pulled from the downloads. I was assuming you were using the latest version which the usb features were completely busted. If you try 14929 keep the usb drive disconnected until you flash the newer one and have enabled the usb features you need then plug the drive in and it should be detected. No worries on using ext3 with windows machines because the router takes care of that for you.

Hi thanks for the reply. I actually went to the buffalo support/download website:
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/

and they had a slightly newer build of buffalo/dd-wrt hybrid firmware hosted in their download section. I tried this version and it now detects the hard drive Very Happy
It wouldnt let me flash directly from dd-wrt so I had to flash back to the original buffalo firmware then to the new buffalo/dd-wrt firmware.

I just formatted my 1TB external hard drive to ext3 using GParted (from Hirens boot cd) - Now the moment of truth will it work Question
sam3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its detected my drive :D

I just have to set up filesharing now. Whats the best way to do this. Ive had a look and found Samba and Optware but am not sure what to do with these.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Samba_filesystem#Running_a_Samba_client_on_DD-WRT

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way

How would i get it to share the 1TB drive connected via usb to the router. I want to share all files on it to everyone on my network. And allow write access to me only.

Thanks again for all your help so far Wink
AfterShock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
you won't be able to setup network sharing with the buffalo ddwrt because they stripped samba support and blocked it from working if someone tried installing it, they claim its because of stability issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: