[Important Info] k2.6 builds no longer support old devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
appleguru wrote:
Somehow I missed this thread.. just tried to flash my WNDR3300 with dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin... Seems I've bricked it now. Any advice on un-bricking?

Its a Serial Terminal only (No JTAG) You will have to break into the CFE using Serial then issue the tftpd command in order to use the tftp utility to reflash the unit with a trailed build...like this one.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn14848/dd-wrt.v24-14848_NEWD_mini_wndr3300.chk

[EDIT] - serial info from the wiki for this device.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3300#JTAG_.2F_Serial_information

redhawk

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
appleguru wrote:
Somehow I missed this thread.. just tried to flash my WNDR3300 with dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin... Seems I've bricked it now. Any advice on un-bricking?

Its a Serial Terminal only (No JTAG) You will have to break into the CFE using Serial then issue the tftpd command in order to use the tftp utility to reflash the unit with a trailed build...like this one.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn14848/dd-wrt.v24-14848_NEWD_mini_wndr3300.chk

[EDIT] - serial info from the wiki for this device.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3300#JTAG_.2F_Serial_information

redhawk

Ok, working on soldering a header to my wndr3300 and then repurposing my arduino as a serial adapter.. once I do all that, how do I break into the CFE?

WL1: 802.1X client mode, 9dbi directional panel antenna soldered to board (right antenna)
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
appleguru wrote:

Ok, working on soldering a header to my wndr3300 and then repurposing my arduino as a serial adapter.. once I do all that, how do I break into the CFE?

Rapid fire Cntl-C in the Serial Terminal window when you plug in the router.

You should get a CFE> prompt.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please direct all your Serial questions to the thread I split off from the build thread.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=136616

ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 16:00    Post subject: Re: [Important Info] k2.6 builds no longer support old devic Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Current k2.6 builds after ~16500 no longer support any old devices. This means that if you have a device that uses k2.4 then you must use k2.4 builds, and if you have a device that uses k2.6 then you must use k2.6 builds! CPU 4704 Owners (corerev=11) - No K26 builds after 15314 on the unit.
All other CPU's Corerev <16 - no K26 builds after 16500.

[b]UPDATE
It is now learned that any router with a corerev lower than 16 will no longer be supported with the K26 builds after ~16500. (per Eko)

It is advised that you test your unit's corerev BEFORE attempting to use the K26 builds on it.
redhawk

this link points to a router/corerev listing, and is reasoanbly up-to-date:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Corerev_List
ZakMcRofl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
That actually seems like a stupid development decision. What is the reasoning to potentially brick plenty of devices? And if there really is a good reason for it, why is there not a huge red-letter warning on the frontpage?

I could understand dropping official support but I fail to understand why the kernel can not run on the old devices at all?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Support for older devices was removed to reduce the size of the k2.6 kernel because it was growing too big for the CFE to boot it.
mystica555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Support for older devices was removed to reduce the size of the k2.6 kernel because it was growing too big for the CFE to boot it.

Couldn't there be less static drivers and more modules loadable after the fact to reduce the size of the kernel binary itself?

This seems liable to cause a lot of major problems simply because of a space issue. Plus you throw out useful stuff like 6rd that (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) hasn't been backported to 2.4.

I'm adminning k2.6 WRT310n now and really don't like the fact that either my or my friend's upgrading without noticing this *not so slight* issue would have screwed him out of a router. I truly doubt that he'd have the wherewithal to reflash it via serial/jtag, nor would he want to have to send it cross-country to me to fix it.

His option would likely be buying a new router at the local worstbuy or walfart.

Seems time to throw out the even slightly old routers and get new ones eh? Kernel 2.4 isn't getting any newer...

Then again, when will ath9k be integrated into the Atheros units so I can finally stop recommending Openwrt to those who really want to use them without crappy wifi performance & bugs?
Radiotubes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
So what if you do a ram upgrade? I mean if a similar package device from the same manufacturer exists that could be soldered in. Would a newer kernel work then? I think the version on my router is 2.4.37.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radiotubes wrote:
So what if you do a ram upgrade? Would a newer kernel work then?

No.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
mystica555 wrote:
Couldn't there be less static drivers and more modules loadable after the fact to reduce the size of the kernel binary itself?

Maybe? I don't know how feasible this is and only the devs could really answer because the Broadcom wireless driver is closed source, but I can tell you not to get your hopes up is a rule of thumb.

Radiotubes wrote:
So what if you do a ram upgrade? I mean if a similar package device from the same manufacturer exists that could be soldered in. Would a newer kernel work then? I think the version on my router is 2.4.37.

The problem isn't the size of RAM, it's how the CFE allocates space for the kernel to load into. Different CFE's allocate different amounts of space for the kernel and it needs to be able to fit into that space. Old router models that didn't allocate enough space for older k2.6 firmwares to load could sometimes have their CFE's replaced so that they would allocate enough space, but the kernel was growing too big and so the microcode for old radio corerevs had to be cut so that new models that really need k2.6 could load it.

yuahgyd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Razz I bricked two WL-500Ws just now, then I study the forum!!!! I had to use the pin9 technique to restore.
Like this one

Old School RS Gold
Runescape Gold
Diablo 3 Gold
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
sjonesy100 wrote:
This is retarded, is there anyone who can answer the question what is the latest firmware that will actually run on a wnr 3500L? This is so confusing its giving me a migraine.

Look here. ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K26/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can try it. It might be too big. Newer builds have gotten bigger. Some have said that big no longer fits. You might need to use the std.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which is?

Navigation

Jump to: