How To: Unbrick Netgear WNR2000v2 easily without serial/JTAG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Chumgrinder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22    Post subject: How To: Unbrick Netgear WNR2000v2 easily without serial/JTAG Reply with quote
Ah, boogers. When I found this posting, it looked like exactly what I needed to unbrick my WNR2000. So I took it apart, and discovered that the guts of the v9 look nowhere near the same as the guts of the v2. Sad I suspect that the equivalent jumper points are in the block at the lower left of the unit (closeup provided), but without knowing exactly which pair does what, I'm too timid to risk smoking the unit.

img1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.06 KB
 Viewed:  17013 Time(s)

img1.jpg

img2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  480.46 KB
 Viewed:  17013 Time(s)

img2.png

Sponsor
rocketero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Chumgrinder, i'm curious, did you finally un-bricked your wnr2000v2 router ?
Chumgrinder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope. I believe I put it in the electronics recycle box. Probably still there.
kmpdx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:29    Post subject: How to get the green light to blink each time to flash Reply with quote
To get the pins jumped at the right time, ping the router following the instructions above. You should start pinging and then turn the router on. Have your jumping device ready. When you see the first successful ping, that is the moment which you will jump the two solder points. Once you see four or five successful pings, the green light should be blinking and that is when you should use the "upgrade" button on the tftp2 software in order to flash the router.
LincolnG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:35    Post subject: Another recovered wnr2000v2 router Reply with quote
After reading all the stuff were told to (duh!!) I still decided to download the latest firmware from the database k2.6 21061 - of course it didn't work. I was left with a green flashing power light that even after an hour never changed.

I pinged the router and got TTL 100. Remembering something I had read earlier recalled that this meant my router wasn't bricked, just not working right.

So I found and downloaded tftp2.exe from the web using my smartfone as a tether and tried to install k2.6 15962 . I didn't dismantle the router and short any pins - I did however discover that 30.30.30 reset doesn't appear to work on this router (it leaves the RAM intact), I found the standard hold reset for one minute with the router powered did the trick.

Like a charm, the router burst into life. I did try to flash again with k2.6 21061, but the web install via dd-wrt failed. So at the moment it's ruiing happily on the 2010 version.

I would be gratefull to know which firmware versions people have actually running on this router and if anybody knows how I could get DDNS supported.
kmpdx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lincoln G, I think I used the tomato Shibby mod on this page here:
http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/build5x-087V-EN/
I used the small one(3.2 MB http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/build5x-087V-EN/tomato-K26-1.28.RT5x-MIPSR2-087V-Mini.trx)
because I bricked it using a larger one. You might experiment with a larger one but I do remember some research led me to believe that I needed to use the smaller version. Pretty sure I needed to put DDWRT on first before I could get the Shibby Mod to load. I think it needs to be K26 SR2 for this router.Even if you brick it you are probably an expert at bringing it back now!
mikk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43    Post subject: another wnr 2000 brick Reply with quote
I think the wiki should be changed for this router, After following the instructions to the letter I bricked my first router. I pinged it and got a reply so shorted the pins, but it refused to come back and is dead. Second wnr2000 v2 bricked again, but when I pulled this one apart it is different from the pictures in the thread, but its definately a v2?? The hard reset is obviously not working, the procedure should be changed or deleted or the misery will go on.
servicekrunk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
awesome thread... saved my life!!! i had to do the VBLARRY version to get it to work though. big thanks to everyone!
goofwear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, I unbricked my router. I used steps in the 1st post BUT i had to short pins 9 and 10. Then after flashing successfully and it still not working I had to redo the steps and then flashed the .CHK file here in the 1st post https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR2000V2

File ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/12-24-10-r15962/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-15962_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR2000v2.chk

Then waited after flashing and then logged into the web gui and flashed dd-wrt.v24-28846_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin I believe its 01/09/2016 and everything is working again.
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
lol ok no output from the serial port and all the lights stay on all the time. nothing works its already in the garbage but I can still get it if someone has a deep hidden knowledge for this thing
Wilson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Count me in as another success story for this method. Accidentally flashed an image that was a kilobyte or 2 too big and with this trick I was able to tftp the original Netgear image and start over.
carlh wrote:
You only need to short the 2 pins shown with red arrows in the picture above. Shorting every possible combination of pins when the correct pins are already known is a waste of time and could potentially damage something.

Timing is important. When power is applied, the power light is dim amber and the 4 switch lights are on. About 1/2 second later the power light goes to bright amber and the remaining lights come on briefly. You want to short the pins when that light change happens. If you short too soon, no lights will change and nothing will happen. Done properly, the power light will flash green and pings will be returned continuously.

This is really the key. You have to start shorting those pins maybe about a quarter second after the power light turns bright + all the lights come on. You'll know if you timed it right if the power light starts flashing and you start getting the TTL=100 pings. Once you get those pings, release the short on the pins, then upload the TFTP image and it should only take about 4 seconds. At this point you need to wait 1-2 minutes before the router reboots back to life.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 19:46    Post subject: The newest release that works is r31221. Reply with quote
DO NOT FLASH r31277 to the 2000v2 unless you want to recover it! It bricked my unit here. I figured not many changes to the latest r31277 firmware that it would safe and it turns out it was not.

So far the newest build that can be put on here without bricking it is the r31221.

I did get the version here that works just fine.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/02-01-2017-r31221/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-31221_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin

I had to use firefox browser a week ago but today I was successful with using Chrome browser to reinstall the r31221 to it.

For those having trouble my way of recovering this unit was to short those two pins at the right time. Its almost just after all the lights come on. But you know its right when it flashes green only. Then follow those steps on setting up the ip address and subnet mask. You need to use the DD-wrt older firmware that has the .chk for the extension which was mentioned factory firmware did not fix it. Use the program as stated and short the pins before hitting upgrade on the program to start flashing it. Then it will keep flashing green then it start flashing orange and give few mins to fix itself it will finally boot.
indianamods
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using v3.0-r29621 mini (05/10/16) Would this firmware be better? I'm having issues trying to block sites and the lights are incorrect on my router?

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/02-01-2017-r31221/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-31221_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 19:11    Post subject: r31221 Reply with quote
The lights are the same as previous build where the WAN is amber. Ports 1 and 2 are amber but the speed is 100mbps and ports 3 and 4 are green at 100Mbps. But r31221 is newer and never gave me any issues and its been working for 2 months now.
digog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! Worked perfectly on my WNR2000v2.

Furthermore, it worked twice - the first time I stupidly transferred the firmware for a completely different router that I had lying around.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: