Fresh upgrade has 1 missing WIFI radio - WRT610N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Mattblack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19    Post subject: Fresh upgrade has 1 missing WIFI radio - WRT610N Reply with quote
Please can someone help.

I've just upgraded my WRT610N v1 to DD-WRT, but it refuses to "see" the 2nd radio (5ghz one).

The 2.4ghz radio is visible fine though.

If I go back to the Linksys firmware I can see it again.

If I upgrade using the dd-wrt.v24_mega_wrt610n.bin DD-WRT firmware then it also works fine.

BUT - if I upgrade to the latest dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin then it removes/hides/loses the 5ghz radio again.

I've tried with and without resetting settings during upgrade.

I've spent hours trying various options and upgrade paths now and it's driving me insane!

Please, please can someone help?

Many thanks

Matt
Sponsor
Mattblack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just tested the VPN file and that also doesn't work.

Evil or Very Mad
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start with the links in my signature. You are doing something wrong and posting insufficient information.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What may be your problem here is, when you use that trailed build from Brainslayer, it has NEWD-2 drivers in it, albeit still a 2.4 kernel with the newer driver set, when you upgrade using dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin which is a NEWD build, it doesn't have the NEWD-2 drivers in it, it has the 2.4 kernel, but not the proper drivers for your unit, in this case you either have to run the trailed build of whatever build number you are trying to upgrade to, or run a K2.6 NEWD-2 build altogether.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Mattblack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok I've read all them links, and I've flashed and flashed and flashed again and again. Step by step, slowly. Doing hard resets between every firmware upgrade (before and after).

It always works fine with the specific 610N Mega file, but it's after upgrading to the latest (Generic) Mega file it stops.

Here's what I did...

[list=]
Went back to Linksys firmware
Did a hard reset
Installed DD-WRT(v24 preSP2 [Beta] Build 13064, WRT610N specific MEGA)
Another hard reset
RECEIVED PASSWORD RESET PAGE.
Both WIFI radios available at this stage
Rebooted again for good luck
Installed LATEST DD-WRT (again from the WRT610N page, but this time there IS NOT SPECIFIC FILE for this router, so had to select GENERIC MEGA. v24 preSP2 [Beta] Build 14896)
Hard reset again
RECEIVED PASSWORD RESET PAGE
Rebooted for good luck
...5ghz Radio no longer available!!
[/list]

There is NOTHING I'm doing wrong. I'm downloading the specified files from the Router Database.

I'm using Linksys WRT610N VERSION 1 (!!) so the 2.4 AND 2.6 kernals should both work fine (yes I've read all the forum posts).

My eyes are gonna bleed if I don't get off this laptop now. I might go insane if I don't get to bed too lol.

I hope to wake up to some great advice and assistance, not some "Read the stickies" message.

Thanks everyone in advance for your assistance.

Matt

PS: Images here...

[/list]
Mattblack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
What may be your problem here is, when you use that trailed build from Brainslayer, it has NEWD-2 drivers in it, albeit still a 2.4 kernel with the newer driver set, when you upgrade using dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin which is a NEWD build, it doesn't have the NEWD-2 drivers in it, it has the 2.4 kernel, but not the proper drivers for your unit, in this case you either have to run the trailed build of whatever build number you are trying to upgrade to, or run a K2.6 NEWD-2 build altogether.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm just using the files from the Router Database page - which I expect to work fine.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes but if you had read all those links then you would not be using that build number, nor be using the router database to get builds from, so something in what you are reading, you are not following.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Yes but if you had read all those links then you would not be using that build number, nor be using the router database to get builds from, so something in what you are reading, you are not following.

QFT.

Also, WL1 is 'disabled'.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
Mattblack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Buddee.

I'm frightened of bricking my expensive unit by using something from a forum post rather than from the router database (which i assume is official and created by the developers who know best).

I never like to just use firmware from forum posts.

But, if you want to point me in the right direction (rather than links to lots of irrelevant information, thousands of pages long).

Some of that previous links were so irrelevant and took a long time to read even just bits of.

Why cant the router database just be up to date??

I'm close to not bothering with this Firmware now.
Mattblack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok think I'm cooking on gas now. Lesson learnt - don't skim-read important information lol.

I'm using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega and i can see both wireless radios.

One thing I want to know... i wanted to use the K2.6 version here...
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom_K26/

But the 610N version is a MINI and I want to use MEGA. Can I use the generic Mega or will it brick my router?

Thanks again
Matt[/list]
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
So long as you already have dd-wrt on the router, you should be able to flash the K2.6 Mega, since you have a v1 you can run either NEWD or K2.6 Newd-2. Just make sure you have dd-wrt already flashed onto the unit (which you already do) before flashing to K2.6, so yes, you should be able to use the generic k2.6 bin to flash to.

ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mattblack wrote:
But the 610N version is a MINI and I want to use MEGA. Can I use the generic Mega or will it brick my router?

Thanks again
Matt[/list]

That lesson learned wasn't You are still skinning and cutting corners. THAT will brick your router. Your question is clearly answered in the announcements.

Missing things WILL brick your router. What else did you miss?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
Mattblack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well it's all working good now. I'm using it as a dedicated WIFI & VPN point (Behing another WRT610N which will be running normal Linksys firmware).

One problem I have (still using the v2.4 610N specific DD-WRT) is that the 2.4ghz radio is unstable. No matter how I set it, my laptop & other devices will connect for only a few seconds. As soon as I start a network test from my laptop, it jumps up to about 20mbps and then slowly dies off and becomes dead.

Note: this is only with Wireless N enabled on the 2.4ghz radio. If I use G-only then it works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks again
Mattblack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok this works ok...
Wireless N only
40mhz
Channel 9 - 2.452ghz
Control Channel: Upper

Works great!

But... I need wirelss G devices to connect to that also!

As soon as I put it into NG-Mixed mode it dies.

I can connect fine, but my network test just dies within seconds and I have to reconnect again
Mattblack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
excellent, all looking good now. I've finished my testing and decided to go ahead.

I'm really happy that DD-WRT allows me to use 1 radio as a bridge (connects my PS3, XBox and digital TV to my wireless N network) and then lets me create another wireless G network with the remaining radio for my 4x IP CCTV cameras.

Absolutely what I needed - thanks to the developers who put lots of time into the software.

If there's any way to fix the Mixed WIFI modes then that would complete the package totally for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: