internet freezing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 18:05    Post subject: internet freezing Reply with quote
I decided to start a new topic that is a continuation of that labeled "Intermittent Wireless" because the subject words not longer describe the real issue that I discovered through a series of experiments but unfortunately I didn't find the solution yet. Perhaps some expert will help me in fixing this.

I have a cable modem/router Zoom 5352. I also have an Asus RT-AC66U running as a Repeater Bridge (dd-wrt build 25974M) connected wireless to the Zoom. There are three machines wired-connected to the Asus. The problem is that the internet freezes periodically every few minutes and sometimes within the minute. These freezes last for a minute or so and after it connects back by itself. When I ping an external site, e.g. google.com I always loose between 20% and 35% of the packets. But if I ping the main AP router (the Zoom) I don't loose any packet, that suggests to me that the wireless link is working fine. Any other appliance (phones, PC's) that connects wireless to the Zoom router does not see this problem, only those machines connected to the repeater.

Before installing the Asus I had a WRT-54G and also WGR614 with different builds and the problem was also there. I tried changing the channel number, setting UPnP, but it didn't fix the issue. The only thing that appeared to solve the issue or at least attenuate it was to unplug two of the machines from the repeater leaving only one connected. What is very puzzling to me is that the two machines that I unplugged had almost nothing of internet traffic, as checked by "nethogs".

I would really appreciate any suggestion.

Cheers,

Daniel
Sponsor
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump Sad
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
From original thread...

Post #2:
Murrkf wrote:
Try following all advice in the peacock announcement, including build advice for those older router. You might find that those routers lack the power to do what you need them to do.

Also I remember reading that if your are on different radio chipsets you can run into WDS repeater issues. While it sounds like you are in the broadcom world, you have 3 different manufacturers using different radios.

Good Reads:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons

^^ I've never had the issues you describe when setting up repeaters using the WIKI. Although I've always basically used two of the exact same device/hardware revisions for this type of setup (exact same chipsets).

Right in the WIKI intro section:
WIKI QUOTE wrote:
Important Note:
Be aware that WDS is NOT a certified standard of the IEEE and that every vendor that provides WDS is doing so via its own implementation. In general, this results in incompatibility between different HW vendors devices e.g. Ralink, Atheros, Broadcom. In other words, this result in much trouble connecting units, even of the same OEM, when they use different HW. So, this is not a bug in DD-WRT. Its just a design problem and we're not responsible for it.
Please see List of confirmed working Broadcom WDS devices

my observation is that Murrkf was right and your selection of available hardware is likely the issue (assuming you have read the wiki, and configured everything properly).

Possible Next Step: Try to jump on eBay and track down another WRT54G v? or WGR614/WGR614L v? that is the exact same as your existing unit. Then give it another try. (That is assuming you don't want to spring for another more expensive RT-AC66U to test with)

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I said on my posting, the LAN works flawlessly, that is the wireless connection between the AP and the repeater bridge and any device connected wireless or wired within the LAN, so it seems that WDS incompatibility issues are not the culprit. It is true that I could have different radios working together (I don't know what radio is in the Zoom), but that should have an impact on the wireless and that is not the case. Besides, I disabled WDS in both the AP and the repeater. I only have internet (WAN) problems.

The interesting part is that whether I use the WRT54G, the WRG614 or the RT-AC66U, the problem is exactly the same. so shouldn't we be able to find a root cause?

In any case, thanks for your response.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Late edit: assuming the radio's are compatable, that would indicate a setup/configruation issue.

so you are attempting to implement this setup? http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
(after reviewing the steps check the troubleshooting section)

WIKI Quote wrote:
Wireless Clients have no Internet
Make sure you have a gateway specified in the repeater bridge router, and that the address there is the primary router.

hope that is more helpful, good luck

Original Post:
no problem, FYI...

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Zoom_5352

WI1 module: CastleNet WL9217E
WI1 module IF: Mini PCIe (half)
WI1 chip1: Broadcom BCM43217
WI1 802dot11 protocols: bgn
WI1 MIMO config: 2x2:2
WI1 antenna connector: U.FL

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-N66U

WI1 chip1: Broadcom BCM4331
WI1 802dot11 protocols: bgn
WI1 MIMO config: 3x3:3
WI1 antenna connector: U.FL, RP-SMA
WI2 chip1: Broadcom BCM4331
WI2 802dot11 protocols: an
WI2 MIMO config: 3x3:3
WI2 antenna connector: U.FL, RP-SMA

you would have to look up your other device details on that site or maybe
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Assumptions:
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I followed the wiki religiously and everything went very smoothly. You said to specify "gateway" in Setup->Advanced routing, but the wiki says to use "Router" there. I agree with you that it looks like a configuration issue, the problem is that whatever is, doesn't appear as an option in the wiki nor in other dd-wrt documents I read. My knowledge on the internals of the system is minus zero.

Cheers.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
He was referring to the need to specify a gateway on the basic settings page, not the choice between gateway and router which set whether the router performs nat functions. A repeater bridge router that is set to GATEWAY mode will be performing double nat. It will work when set to gateway, but the device is double natted.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, but when I set "Repeater Bridge", after applying all the other settings, the Setup->Basic Setup shows for "Connection Type" the unmodifiable word "Disabled", or am I missing something?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. You are missing that there is a setting in the basic setting page where you put the IP address of your gateway, and that what he was talking about is not what you were talking about.

Gateway in this case is an IP address. Not a mode.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, the repeater bridge IP is 192.168.1.2 while the AP is 192.168.1.1 (gateway and DNS).

I just did another experiment: I logged on the router and ping'ed both the IPs of the AP and that of google, and the results were the same as if I ping from any of the clients connected to the LAN ports, that is about 20% of packet loss to google and 0% for the pinging to the AP. A PC connected wireless to the AP also shows 0% of packet loss.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
danielsender wrote:
Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, the repeater bridge IP is 192.168.1.2 while the AP is 192.168.1.1 (gateway and DNS).

I just did another experiment: I logged on the router and ping'ed both the IPs of the AP and that of google, and the results were the same as if I ping from any of the clients connected to the LAN ports, that is about 20% of packet loss to google and 0% for the pinging to the AP. A PC connected wireless to the AP also shows 0% of packet loss.

router = AP is 192.168.1.1 (gateway and DNS) or repeater bridge IP is 192.168.1.2?

Logged on here^^ as in client or Telnet/SSH to the router CLI? if via client device WIFI or twisted pair?

LAN ports on what device?

Assuming:
cloud --> Zoom_5352 AP is 192.168.1.1 (gateway and DNS) --> ASUS_RT-N66U repeater bridge IP is 192.168.1.2 (gateway and dns ip set on asus point to zoom)

It would be good to know exactly how your testing was run, where you "feel" the intermittent internet, does packet loss impact normal browsing/streaming media/etc.

Also to depending on how you are connected in a wireless repeater bridge what device replies to the pings. are you really traversing the "bridge"?

The way I read your experiment it is that you logged a client onto the Zoom_5352, your bridge/LAN is working fine and you have a non dd-wrt ISP problem loosing packets to the outside. right?

Assumptions:
HERE
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will clarify:
IP of repeater bridge (RT-AC66U): 192.168.1.2
IP of AP (Zoom): 192.168.1.1, thus gateway and DNS entries in repeater are 192.168.1.1

The last experiment was to telnet 192.168.1.2 via one of the wired connected PCs to the repeater bridge (CLI) and ping first other IPs on the LAN, including some devices connected wireless to the AP. After I ping'ed the IP of google.com. In the first case there were no packet losses, in the second case it varies between 10 and 30%.

The freezing is not only reflected on the packet losses but it completely disconnects whatever transaction is being running. For example I have the Hamachi VPN service running and this stops too. After a number of seconds or a minute internet resumes by itself. I assume that by going wireless through the AP (Zoom) when I ping google.com I am traversing the bridge. I should mention again that if I connect a PC wireless directly to the AP, then there is no freezing at all.
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Out of desperation I made a new experiment: I got my hands on a D-link Dir-615 that uses the Atheros chip set and configured as the repeater bridge. The problem is exactly the same: internet freezing but local communication within the LAN without problems. I'm starting to think that it could be something related to the AP router, and perhaps there is something in its configuration that I could change to fix the issue but I have no clue where to go.
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just in case I installed the Kong's firmware (25015M) in the RT-AC66U, no difference in the problem. I also repeated one of my early experiments: leave only one PC connected to a LAN port and ping'ed google. In 300+ packets there were no errors. Could it be something related to the number of clients connected to the LAN ethernet ports? (In this case 3).
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did some search on past postings ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48884&highlight=slow+switch*+ethernet ) and apparently some people saw similar situations, although expressed as slowing rather than a freezing. Depending on how is the problem observed, freezing and un-freezing also results in an overall slowing down effect. In conclusion, it seems that the problem that I have is that the repeater bridge is having a hard time handling more than one computer plugged in the ethernet ports regardless of the used hardware or build version. In a couple of those posting it was mentioned a potential case of bad ethernet drivers. I really hope that one of gurus here can at least tell me if there is a solution or this is what it should be, at least for the time being.

Many thanks in advance.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: