Help NOOOOOOOB alert, Belkin Share F7D3402uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tombell1975
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 19:33    Post subject: Help NOOOOOOOB alert, Belkin Share F7D3402uk Reply with quote
I stumbled across this site and hope someone can help me ( a person with some computer knowlege, but very limited wireless knowlege Confused )

So... I have an existing belkin router F5D8631-4 v3 (01) which connects to an ADSL line and provides wireless for the whole house, ( although signal at the back of the house is somewhat weak ). I have been given a Belkin Share F7D3402uk. What I would like to do is leave the original router connected where it is, connect the Belkin Share directly to the computer at the rear of the house ( via LAN ) also connect a printer to the supplied USB port. I would like the Belkin Share to connect wirelessly to my original router.

My hope is that the result will give me.

a ) a printer which other wireless devices can connect to without the computer being switched on.

b ) a decent wireless connection for the computer to the original belkin modem/router.

c ) possibly ( though not necessary ) an option to connect wireless devices in the house via either original router or belkin share depending on which has better signal.

Is this called a wireless bridge ?... not sure. tbh if it can be done I'd really need some step by step instructions on how to do it

I apologise if this has already been covered, or ( if I was smarter ) I'd be able to work things out from what has previously been posted. Before finding this site I had tried all sorts of things, which didn't work, and ended up resetting/ system restore to undo my "errors"

Oh... and my computer is running vista 64bit, and wireless laptops are vista 32 / xp pro SP3. other wireless devices are smart phone/psp

Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
kt_haddock
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 20:02    Post subject: Re: Help NOOOOOOOB alert, Belkin Share F7D3402uk Reply with quote
tombell1975 wrote:
I stumbled across this site and hope someone can help me ( a person with some computer knowlege, but very limited wireless knowlege Confused )

So... I have an existing belkin router F5D8631-4 v3 (01) which connects to an ADSL line and provides wireless for the whole house, ( although signal at the back of the house is somewhat weak ). I have been given a Belkin Share F7D3402uk. What I would like to do is leave the original router connected where it is, connect the Belkin Share directly to the computer at the rear of the house ( via LAN ) also connect a printer to the supplied USB port. I would like the Belkin Share to connect wirelessly to my original router.

My hope is that the result will give me.

a ) a printer which other wireless devices can connect to without the computer being switched on.

b ) a decent wireless connection for the computer to the original belkin modem/router.

c ) possibly ( though not necessary ) an option to connect wireless devices in the house via either original router or belkin share depending on which has better signal.

Is this called a wireless bridge ?... not sure. tbh if it can be done I'd really need some step by step instructions on how to do it

I apologise if this has already been covered, or ( if I was smarter ) I'd be able to work things out from what has previously been posted. Before finding this site I had tried all sorts of things, which didn't work, and ended up resetting/ system restore to undo my "errors"

Oh... and my computer is running vista 64bit, and wireless laptops are vista 32 / xp pro SP3. other wireless devices are smart phone/psp

Thank you in advance.

What I can se this routers are not supported by DD-WRT firmware.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
from what I have read so far on online forums, the ddwrt software would need to be installed on the Share router F7D3402, not the older router.

The F7D3402 is not on the supported list, but a similar model ( the play version I think ) is supported, so maybe this would work, or just needed to be added to the list Confused

like I said in my OP, I am not really knolegeable in this area.
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
tombell1975 wrote:
The F7D3402 is not on the supported list, but a similar model ( the play version I think ) is supported, so maybe this would work, or just needed to be added to the list Confused

See the peacock announcement. Read it all, but pay particular attention to note 16.

Similar won't cut it. Check the fcc number to find out if it is the same.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
tombell1975
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
okay, so FCC ID is K7SF7D3402V1

So I guess that means there isn't one... yet ??

Apologies again for noobishness

If there is no way anyone knows of completing my original aims ( as per OP ) with this device, could anyone recommend a cheap alternative router with usb that I could buy. ( I could sell the Share on EBAY Laughing )
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asus GL520GU often sell for 30.00. They are a decent unit...(except mine...today.)
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: