Can we make e3000 flash simple?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
caricell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 16:54    Post subject: Can we make e3000 flash simple? Reply with quote
I'm going to buy a linksys e3000 tonight. I've looked through the forum, looked at the wiki, and am totally confused as to what file I should flash with first. The only thing that appears clear is that I can do all flashing through the linksys GUI. (Thank god..)

Anyhow..can I just flash right to any of the .bin files that have e3k in the name (and if so, what's the difference between the ones that say 'nas', etc. OR do i need to flash with some kind of trail (.trx) file first?

All I need is:
1) Use this file. = ?
2) Here's what it offers vs. other possible uses. = ?

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Larry
Sponsor
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the announcements.

The peacock announcement will tell you that you always should follow the wiki for initial flashing. It tells you how to CHOOSE a file for upgrading after initial flashing AND how to do it properly.

The wiki has step by step instructions for initial flashing of your router.

Could not be simpler.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
better read the wiki again.. nowhere does it say to flash an e3k or a trx for the intitial flash.

Good luck.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E3000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
This past week, I have flashed successfully 4 e3000 routers.
Reading forum: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=73601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
and wiki: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E3000
I have followed these instructions:
Initial Install of DD-WRT firmware, to replace Linksys firmware:
You HAVE to use -e3000.bin image!!!!! (NO other image, NOT even -e2k-e3k.bin)
Any other image will brick the router.

After that initial -e3000.bin install, you can use any image ending -e2k-e3k.bin
Any other image will BRICK the router!!!
So, I did:
1. Flashed with dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_ftp-e3000.bin
2. Followed with flash dd-wrt.v24-15508_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_nas-e3000.bin
3. Finally, flashed dd-wrt.v24-15508_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-e2k-e3k.bin

I have used 14853 -e3000.bin first, since 15508 is the latest build, and I was not sure how it will behave.
But I have not bricked any of these routers.
Just remember First initial flash only & Exclusively with -e3000.bin, Nothing else, not even e2k-e3k.
Good Luck.
P-B

Last edited by Pandora-Box on Thu Nov 04, 2010 18:02; edited 1 time in total
caricell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, you may think it's simple because you read this every day. If I simply download and flash the version that is diretly linked to in the wiki, it's pretty simple, but this will give me version 14853, from July of this year. (I assume that's the latest 'stable' version?)

If I follow the link to see the newer builds, I get a list of numerous files, including:
- big e2k-e3k.bin
- big e3000.bin
- big.bin

So I have no idea which of those I would use, if I so desired.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pandora's post was pretty clear.

Good luck.. Have fun with dd-wrt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes it is!

Thank you!
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The wiki is very clear too....

The announcements explain hopefully clearly that there are additional files, but to follow the wiki. They also say not to use the router database.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I edited that older build in for the E3000, because i and others tested it, and known it to work for initial flashes. In later post builds after that one linked, i was reading to many people reporting problems with the newer trailed builds for initial flashing, thus i edited one in that i knew for sure worked. Some builds have been known ok to upgrade to, but initial flashing can be somewhat of a different animal. As far as making it anymore simple, not sure if i can do that, its pretty simple 9 step process, some flashing references i have read have 25 steps, so.... Smile

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
caricell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok..so I bought my e3000, and thanks to the folks here, and the wiki, have successfully flashed it with the initial e3000.bin file, and then the 15508-big build. All going A-OK! Connected hardwire and wirelessly.

The only issue I have is this...

I am not sure of the best dd-wrt settings for the two wireless channels (wl0-2.4ghz / wl1- 5 ghz). I have both G and N in my house...

Is it best to set wl0 for just g-connections? Mixed, a specific channel?, 40mhz, lower? a particular TX power output?

And then set wl1 for N-Only? Mixed? 40mhz, specific channel? ETC.
Also!: Do the two channels need to have distinct SSID names, or can they be the same?

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who's already played with these setings and can report back their best configurations.

Thanks again!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can use this link to reference for 2.4Ghz anyhow...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
caricell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, budee...this is useful information. I dont understand however, what they mean by the "MAIN" channel, vs the 40MHZ channel.

In the e3000- DDWRT, there is only the option (in 2.4mhz- wL0) to set ONE channel, and then upper or lower for 40mhz. So i'm not quite sure how to read that channels chart.

I'm probably missing something simple...
kt_haddock
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
caricell wrote:
Thanks, budee...this is useful information. I dont understand however, what they mean by the "MAIN" channel, vs the 40MHZ channel.

In the e3000- DDWRT, there is only the option (in 2.4mhz- wL0) to set ONE channel, and then upper or lower for 40mhz. So i'm not quite sure how to read that channels chart.

I'm probably missing something simple...

Follow this link then you can read about that:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Budee:
That was the same link you offered me in your earlier post. I did go there and look at that, but I don't understand the chart that is presented there.

It is confusing understanding what they mean by "main" channel..etc.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
That wasn't me posting that same link again, that was kt_haddock not reading up that i already had posted that link, anyhow, what it means is if you run your 2.4Ghz radio in N mode it will only give you one channel in the drop down to select from, then because of N mode it'll use another channel for aux, so say if you choose channel 6 40Mhz upper it will use chan 6 as main and chan 8 as aux.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: