How do I know if a Repeater is working? Can someone explain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
iddeenkhai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
celo wrote:
I know I know it is online but I would like a more simple answer if possible. What is Repeater and what is Repeater Bridge?

Yes, it is online. Others, especially the veterans will tell you to do your own research, search the forum, etc.
But I do know how that feels, your brain is way taxed for something this complicated , and you just want something simple.

Repeater extends wireless, but creates a new subnet. Example, main router is 192.168.1.1 . The repeater would give an IP with a different subnet like 192.168.2.x but not in the 192.168.1.x . Roaming from one AP to another wouldn't be seamless, since you need to request a new IP each time. People say it messes Windows Networking or something, but I'm not sure how since I don't use windows that much.

Repeater Bridge extends wireless too, but sits on the same subnet. Example, if the main router is 192.168.1.1 then the repeater would be 192.168.1.x , just like a normal device connecting.

I personally think repeater is better because I got better results with it. Maybe my testing is flawed, since technically they shouldn't be much difference in performance. Anyone is free to disagree, because this is how I understand it from experimentation and reading.
Sponsor
celo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
iddeenkhai wrote:
celo wrote:
I know I know it is online but I would like a more simple answer if possible. What is Repeater and what is Repeater Bridge?

Yes, it is online. Others, especially the veterans will tell you to do your own research, search the forum, etc.
But I do know how that feels, your brain is way taxed for something this complicated , and you just want something simple.

Repeater extends wireless, but creates a new subnet. Example, main router is 192.168.1.1 . The repeater would give an IP with a different subnet like 192.168.2.x but not in the 192.168.1.x . Roaming from one AP to another wouldn't be seamless, since you need to request a new IP each time. People say it messes Windows Networking or something, but I'm not sure how since I don't use windows that much.

Repeater Bridge extends wireless too, but sits on the same subnet. Example, if the main router is 192.168.1.1 then the repeater would be 192.168.1.x , just like a normal device connecting.

I personally think repeater is better because I got better results with it. Maybe my testing is flawed, since technically they shouldn't be much difference in performance. Anyone is free to disagree, because this is how I understand it from experimentation and reading.

THANK YOU!
iddeenkhai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
celo wrote:
iddeenkhai wrote:
celo wrote:

But I do know how that feels, your brain is way taxed for something this complicated , and you just want something simple.iddeen

THANK YOU!

Your're welcomed. Glad if it helped. I'm having difficulties myself in setting up a good repeater. It works, albeit slowly. But just found out the source of the problem, currently trying to tweak it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: