WRTSL54GS Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
themisfits
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 23:06    Post subject: WRTSL54GS Mod Reply with quote
I have 2 WRTSL54GS routers. One is a client bridge the other is a basic router setup. Before I flashed ddwrt i could only go to 400kB/s a sec anything higher and my router signal would crash. After ddwrt and tweaking the settings I can go upto 750kB/s without crashing but anything over crashes after a few minutes.

I was going attempt to remove the old antenna and add a RP-TNC and get a better antenna. I am hoping reduce the Noise and increase the Signal.

Would it be better to get a new router or perform the mods? Do I need s specific RP-TNC connector from a old Linksys router or can eBay provide one? Are some antennas better than other or can any 7dbi antenna work fine? The link below is kind of what I will be doing. The only difference is I will drill out the original antenna hole.

http://pauldotcom.com/2009/03/adding-a-removable-antenna-to-1.html
Sponsor
anja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 21:32    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote
Just bay new adapted 12v 1.0AM and will work great.
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want to go the modding route, Linksys used rp-tnc for a while, but rp-sma seems to be the more common choice. I used some recently for an MSI windbox I converted to a router. Do you know if they're soldered or pigtails? Pigtails would be much easier, as you'd just need about $10 in parts from Amazon and less time/effort than soldering. That being said, some pretty impressive routers are available for less than $50, and some workable ones capable of DD-WRT in the $15-20 range. The TP-Link TL-WR841N with externa l antennas is $19. The version with removable/upgradeable antennas (TL-WR841ND) is $27. I don't own either, but I see them mentioned regularly in the atheros section. These are n300 routers, and should offer improved speed and range over the outdated 54g hardware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: