Connecting Two Wireless Router

Goto page 1, 2  Next
ibrahim52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 19:26    Post subject: Connecting Two Wireless Router Reply with quote
The scenario is really simple. I am currently having one adsl router which is Aztech ADSL2+ Wireless 4-Port Router by my ISP (Etisalat) which is having AR7WRD Firmware and another one is a wireless Bubble Gini Router which is having firmware similar to DDR-WRT. Now i tried to make my Gini as CLIENT BRIDGE and configured with the same wireless encryption as my main Aztec router disabling dhcp server on Gini. But i don't know where am i going wrong and i am still not able to make a connection between two wireless routers. Do i have to make any settings in my main wireless router as well ?

The purpose of connecting two wireless router is because i am having my main router outside my room and i have got a voip device where i need to connect it through the internet and i cannot pull the cable till my room from the main router. So i was wondering if i can get the dhcp by another wireless router and connect my voip device and other devices on cable
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know you could do this with dd-wrt, with this other firmware though, its questionable, what you sound like you need to setup is the client router as a 'repeater bridge' so it basically just extends your wireless network, everything on the same subnet, and everything will get DHCP from the main gateway as it should, if you wanted the other unit to actually assign its own DHCP you would want to use either VLANs or 'repeater' but then it would be on a whole nother subnet in repeater setup.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
ibrahim52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now however according to the WIRELESS STATUS page my client wireless router is able to communicate with the aztech gateway router. But unfortunately i am still not able to have DHCP when i plugging in cable to my laptop from gini LAN port.So for that purpose i have posted some screenshots of the configurations i did. One doubt what i am having is on Advanced Routing, earlier it was on RIP2 router but i switched it to GATEWAY and in DHCP options i am having one more option as DHCP forwarder , i tried that as well but did not worked.

Screenshot 1 :

Screenshot 2 :

Screenshot 3 :

Screenshot 4 :

Screenshot 5:

Advanced Routing.png
 Description:
Advanced Routing page
 Filesize:  11.7 KB
 Viewed:  14542 Time(s)

Advanced Routing.png

ibrahim52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would like to add one more thing that my main gateway router IP is 192.168.1.1 and i have changed my client wireless router as 192.168.1.100 (please check screenshot)
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
The advanced routing needs to be on router, not gateway, remember, follow the guide as it instructs, it tells to put it in router not gateway.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
ibrahim52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
But why i am still not able to recieve DHCP from the LAN or WAN port my client router ?
ibrahim52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Though i have changed my interface to router i am still not able to recieve ip through dhcp from the main gateway router. Do i have to enable the dynamic router option as well below the ROUTER option ?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
My apologies but...I am unsure if this will work at all, i know it will on dd-wrt, but with this other firmware i am unsure.

If you followed the repeater bridge guide it should work with no problems, i do this on a few different units here, but, they all run dd-wrt.

ibrahim52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
What if i want to change the firmware in my router, how can i check if the router is compatible with DD WRT firmware ?
Duwie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
ibrahim52 wrote:
What if i want to change the firmware in my router, how can i check if the router is compatible with DD WRT firmware ?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
The above link, but i can already tell you that your DSL/router combo is not supported, dd-wrt doesn't support that kind of hardware, routers only. From my own exp using DSL (i use cable modem now) I run the modem in bridge mode and hook up a wireless unit, dd-wrt supported of course, and go from there.

ibrahim52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seriously i am pulling my hairs now, i tried every possibilities i could. I am not able to ping down the main router even if i set my laptop ip address to static, something is wrong and i am really not getting what, as the LED of WLAN on my router blinks really fast and even in WIRELESS status page it shows that it is connected but why it is not able to recieve the DHCP from main gateway router. I am posting one more screenshot of the options available below the ROUTER option in ADVANCED ROUTING page. Thank you

fedup.png
 Description:
Advanced routing page
 Filesize:  36.95 KB
 Viewed:  14404 Time(s)

fedup.png

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are not following the guide to the letter....

you made your repeater bridge ip .100 in the guide it tells you to make it .2 assuming your primary gateway is .1

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Try again, and follow that guide step by step with no fail.

ibrahim52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah but the main gateway router has already issued DHCP of 1.2 and 1.3 to other computers connected in the network.
ibrahim52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still i give it a try for one more time resetting the whole router.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: