DNSMasq for Windows Server 2008 Active Directory

dumb4ever
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:32    Post subject: DNSMasq for Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Reply with quote
Question for anybody who can answer:

1 Server with Windows Server 2008 R2 AD DC
- With IP 192.168.1.10
- I named it LOGIC
- Domain Name: MRLOBA.LOCAL

1 DD-WRT Router with IP: 192.168.1.1 - v24-sp2 built 15407
- Static IP pointing to LOGIC computer at 192.168.1.1
- Subnet 255.255.255.0 with Maximum DHCP Users: 50

I've been trying to join the domain but can't seem to join and kept getting Error msg

I wanted the DHCP to remain on the DD-WRT Router, Been messing around with DNSMasq but still kept getting error msg.

Can anyone please show me the exact configuration for it ? Thank You

Quote:
The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "MRLOBA.LOCAL":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.MRLOBA.LOCAL

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

MRLOBA.LOCAL
LOCAL
. (the root zone)
Sponsor
doddsjr653
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
In case you don't have an answer yet, I would suggest not using DNSMasq. Active Directory is heavily reliant upon DNS, which is why the wizard installs the DNS server on your domain controller. Having an Active Directory Integrated zone will make your life easier. Just use the domain controller for DNS and don't worry about using the router.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Resurrecting an old thread.

Have you tried using DNSMasq to forward DNS requests to the AD server ?

I found some stuff in setting up OpenVPN routed tunnels and DNS requests. You must, however, set no DNS rebind to off

I haven't tried it properly, but have got DNS lookups working across the tunnel

Cheers
Chris
sefs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am wanting to do this same exact thing.

I am thinking there must be someway to tell dchp via dnsmasq that when a domain client connects push it the ip of the domain controller as its dns server otherwise use the router.

And then in the dns forwarder of the domain controller you put the ip address of the dd-wrt router.

In this scenario if it were possible. If a non-domain client is on the lan then it would use the router directly as dns. If the client connects to the domain then it would get the DC as the dns.

Possible?
donald7777
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had this semi working on an older wrt54g linksys router. It is not worth the trouble. Server 2008 with AD must have DNS installed and be the ruler.

I ran into DNS problems that traced back to the router, when I set Server 2008 as DNS everything cleared up.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have Succeeded in doing it using it using build v15962 which has a "no DNS rebind" option.

On the services tab, in your Additional DNSMasq options set
Code:

server=/windows-domain.local/172.16.10.1

Works well for me. Network browser works using AD lookups.

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html has all the options for DNSmasq. You leave out the -- for your .conf file just type the name of the option.

You can debug your settings by checking the settings in /tmp/dnsmasq.conf

Let me know how you go

/C
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW, This was on a branch router with no local AD server.

I was connecting to head office using OpenVPN.. Head office has a 5Mb symetric link and the branch was on an ADSL2+ 18Mb down 1Mb up. The computers had already been added to the domain.

Routers are Cisco / Linksys E3000s
/C
mistika12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
How can I tell the router to update DNS records on DC when it gives new IP address to a host computer?

I have DHPC on my ddwrt router and DNS server on Windows 2003 DC. The problem is that DNS table on the DC is not always accurate and sometimes contains old IP addresses for some hosts.

The router is Asus WL500gPV2 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega SVN revision 14896).

The DNSMasq options are:
dhcp-option=6, 192.168.5.3, 192.168.5.1
strict-order
address=/mydomain/192.168.5.3
address=/mydomain.corp/192.168.5.3

192.168.5.1 - router
192.168.5.3 - DC with DNS server
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: