Atheros Recommended Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
After further testing, i can confirm that 15778 firewall is somewhat broken..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=510737&highlight=#510737

Have rolled back to 15704 for now, all seems to be running nicely Smile

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
Silentknyght
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
After further testing, i can confirm that 15778 firewall is somewhat broken..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=510737&highlight=#510737

Have rolled back to 15704 for now, all seems to be running nicely Smile

I've been having DHCP issues with 15747, 15778, and 15506. I think I'm about done fiddling with damn WEP security using WDS on the stock firmware, and I'm about to go back to ddwrt. I'll try 15704 and see if I can't keep a stable wireless connection for more than 24 hours...
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, this seems to have come about when the new kernel merger happened, seems many of the 15xxx series have "issues" This new one with 15778's firewall being broken is what made me even flash back to any later builds.

The last build i ran on my WRT400N and WRT160NL before these newer issues began was 14929

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
vanguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using the router database recommended build of 14896 on my DIR-615. I've been using it as an access point for the last 4 months and I find that my wireless N connection goes from 65 Mbps to a super slow 5 Mbps within a few days on my laptop. The solution was to power cycle the DIR-615 and everything is working again. Otherwise, everything seems to be working great. Also I dont know how to make my wireless N speed faster that 65Mbps (when I look at my connection status via Win 7).
Lastly on another dir-615 c1 that I own. I have tried setting a client bridge to extend the neighbor's wifi signal but the connection is very random, sometimes its fast, sometimes its super slow and sometimes you get disconnections and sometimes the ssid would just disappear.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still use 15704 on all my Atheros units.

When you set the client bridge up for your neighbor, you using N-only on the mode or what?

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
I still use 15704 on all my Atheros units.

When you set the client bridge up for your neighbor, you using N-only on the mode or what?

Linksys WRT400N - I put my vote in for 15704

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Until i see any BIG change for atheros units or builds in the timeline, i'll probably stick with 15704, it functions fine for my WRT400N, WRT160NL, and WZR-HP-G300NH, everything works for me in it, no USB problems and no loopback firewall rule fix needed. Smile

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Until i see any BIG change for atheros units or builds in the timeline, i'll probably stick with 15704, it functions fine for my WRT400N, WRT160NL, and WZR-HP-G300NH, everything works for me in it, no USB problems and no loopback firewall rule fix needed. Smile

I have reworked my recommended build list.

http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Links#Recommended_Builds

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
buddee wrote:

I have reworked my recommended build list.

http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Links#Recommended_Builds

Cool, i edited it to 15704 instead of 15407 though, not sure if you typo'd that or not. Wink

alexatkinuk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:

I'm quite happy with 15962 but am hoping the next version finally has the WiFi running full power as its the only problem I have with all versions tested.

Not bothered about the loopback issue as loopback eats CPU cycles that are better spent on actual WAN routing anyway. It just reminds me to get internal DNS setup properly to use internal IPs.

If I need to test external connectivity I can use my FON connection or mobile Internet.

elmanl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just want to record my experience so far
DIR-615 C1
* build 14896. Set up as access point with WPA2 AES.
problem: once a week I had to restart the router because my 802.11N connection slows down to 1 to 5 Mbps.

* build 14929. Solves the problem with the slow down above, 1 month now and I havent have to restart the router, solid 65 Mbps 802.11n connection speed.
problem: I just bought another DIR-615 C1 and set it up as a client bridge, in this mode I have access to the local network like shared folders on other machines and remote desktop connections but NO INTERNET access, I tried both routers but there is a problem with client bridge mode.

* build 15704. fixes the problem with client bridge mode. router A is still with build 14929 since its stable now as an access point. router B is with this build running as client bridge for my media players and bluray devices.
problem: after a few hours a reboot is required on router B because devices connected to it will lose access to shared folders and internet.
balbesenok
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
After more than week testing, I stopped on PreSP2 14311 standard (my device is TP-Link TL-WR1043ND). Reasons:
My ISP require PPTP-VPN, so
- standard 14144 dosn't work (PPTP-tunnel doesn't esteblishing, I used static connection + PPTP-client);
- 14280 standard and last firmware from BrainSlayer can initiate PPTP-connect, but always lost it after 5-10 minutes;
- last standard firmware, which number 14896, can hold PPTP-connect as long as I need, but with it's fw-version I have one serious trouble, I don't have access on my ISP-account's page (ISP required https, page accessible only if I in local network), routes to local network I set on ADVANCED ROUTING page or by commands in STARTUP). Maybe it's not FW-bug, maybe it's non-standard settings of my ISP, but if I use 14311 FW, I have access everywhere, in the Internet and in local net...
alexatkinuk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why build 15704?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
alexatkinuk wrote:
Why build 15704?

Why not? Its not a standard follow by, if you do not like 15704, then you do not have to use it.

alexatkinuk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
alexatkinuk wrote:
Why build 15704?

Why not? Its not a standard follow by, if you do not like 15704, then you do not have to use it.

I do not have any specific preference personally as all versions I tried (which is not many) have been stable for me.

However my comment was intended as a reply to elmanl who said 15704 was still causing them problems, so I was curious why they had not tried anything newer.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: